Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Licenses

TacoGrl
June 20th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Ok, so get this...

As some of you know, I live in an apartment 6 stories up and Mooki is a 15 yr old house cat that doesn't even know what the door is much less wants to run out it anytime soon.

I have to get a license for her now.

Here is the problem....

Back in 1994 when I adpoted her from the SPCA, they spayed her. The license people say that I have to PROVE Mooki has been spayed...I contacted the SPCA for a copy of her spay record and they of course have purged their system after this amount of time! I can't find my copy either...several moves since then LOL! My vet will charge me over $200 to "check" and sign off that she has been spayed, BUT in Mooki's current health condition, the vet does not recommend checking becasue apparently she has to be put under for this to happen.

What exactly am I supposed to do?!? They are threatening to fine people who don't get licenses...not quite sure how they would find out, but being the spaz I am, it worries me...has anyone else had this problem? How did you solve it?

onster
June 20th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I really doubt they would find out unless u have a very mean neighbour or something. How much is the fine, do you know? 200 is a lot for sure...can u maybe talk to someone in charge and explain the situation? Tell them that the vet does not reccomend such a prodecure done to prove it. Is there no scar at all the vet can feel or see if he maybe shaves down her tummy>?

sugarcatmom
June 20th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it (as in don't bother with the license). Not to encourage people to break the law or anything, but it's really not all that enforceable. I haven't licensed my kitty and don't plan to. I guarantee we're not the only ones.

TacoGrl
June 20th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Honestly, I don't understand why house cats even need to be licensed...is not the purpose of a license to return strays to their owners? Mooki has a tat in her ear that is registerd...that's why I paid for the tat...at the time I lived in a house and I figured "you never know".

I tried talking/explaining to by-law...interesting folks they are :rolleyes: ...I expect a knock on my door any day now LOL! That's the way it goes, folks who don't usually do anything wrong get busted first for something stupid :sad:

I think I will take my chances...I am not going to put Mooki through anything else...PFFTTT!

ancientgirl
June 21st, 2008, 07:03 PM
Maybe you should tell them you gave her to your folks or something. How will they even know?

CyberKitten
June 21st, 2008, 07:38 PM
I do not like to encourage anyone to do anything illegal either but I would not even contact the authorities and I do NOT understand why a vet needs $200 to check. Fir what s/he has to do to do that, it is not worth that amt of money. That's just ridiculous- my vet would do it for free! (Granted, I realize the market might bear more where you are but still... gheez!).

I have 4 cats- all spayed and neutered- none as old as Mookie- but how would I have been able to do this with my elderly rabbit. I could not have. And as if he ever went out! My cats only go out on a leash or a stroller or in a very very secure back yard under supervision. Even in my small city, there are too many things that can kill a cat and I am NOT taking any chances- they mean too much to me to allow then to go out. (Actually, if anything happened to them, I;d never forgive myself!).

So, I am sure- esp a kitty in an apt 15 floors high, who will know? Your friends and relatives and friends - do you get many deliveries? Have nosy neighbours? Get along with your neighbours?

I am not sure municipalities have thought all this stuff through - I am nor entirely oppossed to kitty licenses but only when they make sense!

dogmelissa
June 24th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Not sure if the Humane Society will do for you what they do here, but if your cat was spayed there, her tattoo will be in their spay/neuter log, and they should be able to issue you a new certificate of sterilization for a minimal charge. They don't throw out the records for tattoos because animals may still come in with that tattoo many many years later (when I worked at the Humane Society here, a 24 yr old cat came in stray).

Your vet sounds like s/he is just gouging you - any vet I've ever heard of will write you a spay/neuter certificate for an animal on your word - this is especially true if you've been going to that vet since you got the cat!

If your vet still wants to charge you for a procedure, I'd recommend just getting your razor (or perhaps your husband's if you have a straight razor - you want to use an electric one so you don't cut the skin) and shaving a patch of fur off the belly of your kitty. Here's a pic that can help you find the right place:
http://www.aboutcatsonline.com/images/catspay.jpg
Normally if you find the spot where their ribs join (sternum) and then go about half way between there and their bum, shave a spot about 2-3 inches long. You should be able to see a scar right on the centre line of her belly. That is seriously the "procedure" for finding a spay scar on a cat, and the cat does NOT need to be sedated or anesthetized for it. If your vet wants to anesthetize your cat for no reason other than to shave her belly, I'd highly recommend finding a different vet - that is not the best approach for the health of their patients.

That being said.... I have 4 cats, one who never ever leaves the yard (I have to push her outside, she won't go on her own), and all 4 of them are licensed. I do it because the money that I pay for my licenses makes sure that they will get returned to me if they go missing, but also helps pay for the shelter where other people's cats (or strays without a home) get taken care of.

Ultimately, I think if you phone the licensing people and explain that your cat is 15 years old and your vet wants to charge you $200 to find out if she's spayed (which you know she is), they probably will let you have the reduced license rate. I didn't even have to provide proof that my cats were spayed or neutered, they just assume I'm telling the truth.

ETA: I just went back and checked, and you're in Calgary same as me. Don't stress about it, just fill out the form online and they won't ask you for proof.
http://tinyurl.com/5etfgd

Good luck,
Melissa