Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Farm Animal Rescue

amaya
June 20th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Hello,

Perhaps this issue has been covered already, but as someone living rurally, I would like to see a forum for Farm Animal Rescue. There must be people wanting to find permanent homes (not for slaughter) for their animals and people wanting to provide them.

Maybe even a forum for wildlife rescue / peaceful co-existence ideas, that sort of thing.

Anyone out there interested? There are many horse rescues (never enough mind you) but few resources for other animals.

Is there something like this already on this site?

Thanks,
AMAYA

badger
June 20th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Brilliant idea, although I think farm rescue is happening, just not on a large scale.
This article is from 2003.

They come to the lush green fields of a Pennsylvania farm from many directions. But all are desperate to save their hides.
The Lakshmi Cow Sanctuary, a non-profit organization run by Sankar Sastri, is just one of many havens scattered throughout the United States and Canada dedicated to saving cows from certain death.
Some are registered charities, others are privately funded projects of conscience. Their operators are motivated by religious faith, or a horror of the fate awaiting their charges at the slaughterhouse.
All give cows a place to retire far from the meatpacking plant.
A devout Hindu, Mr. Sastri was a university dean before he founded his cow sanctuary at Bangor, Pa.
He believes cows should be regarded as humans' second mothers, and dreamed of showing them the respect he believes they deserve.
He bought the property in September, 2000, and received his first cows from a Buddhist monk who bought the animals from a slaughterhouse in New York.
"He saves animals from the gateway to death," Mr. Sastri said. "And I give them a place to roam and enjoy."
He runs the 17-hectare farm on his savings and university pension, paying US$90 a month to support each of his nine cows. He will soon adopt two more.
Mr. Sastri is not alone in his sympathy for bovine refugees.
Adopt-A-Cow, a farm in Port Royal, Pa., sustained by donations of animal lovers and Hindus, houses 38 cows. A sanctuary in Carriere, Miss., houses 132.
In Moundsville, W.Va., 24 cows are protected on a 64-hectare farm run by William Dove, also known as Balabhadra das. He incorporated the farm as the International Society for Cow Protection.
Fifty-year-old Helga Tacreiter opened a 13-cow sanctuary in Shiloh, N.J., after working part-time on a dairy farm.
She was so horrified at the prospect of the calves there being slaughtered that she worked for two years to buy six of them at US$1,000 a piece.
"I was just blown away by their nature," she said. "Their entire attitude is gracious."
She bought a farm through a "series of miracles," and supports it through the sale of "cowches," life-sized, cow-like floor pillows that sell for as much as US$800.
If her sales hold up, she plans to save even more cows from local slaughterhouses.
"I know it's all token, but for these individual cows it makes a difference," she said.
The owner of a Canadian cow sanctuary feels the same way.
Roger Brinker owns Big Julie's Rescue Ranch, a 70-hectare farm and registered charity in Fort Macleod, Alta.
The 71-year-old takes care of 36 cattle -- including several riddled with tumours that would have been sent to the rendering plant -- as well as six horses and 37 dogs.
Mr. Brinker bought his property in 1991, after he watched his neighbour deliver a calf through a Cesarean section. The male calf was unnaturally large and would have been killed if Mr. Brinker had not offered to take him -- and the entire farm -- off his neighbour's hands.
"They were such gentle creatures it went against my grain to see them killed in such numbers," he said.
He acknowledges such feelings are rare in the agriculturally driven province, but said neighbours respect his love for animals.
"I don't go around pointing fingers, telling people what they're doing is wrong," he said. "But if I can save just a few of these creatures, then that's something."

Lise
June 20th, 2008, 05:01 PM
If you are looking for more info on farm rescue.Refuge RR for horses is very involved in farm rescue as well.I help Rose and she works tirelessly for all of them.If you want more info go to www.refugerr.org

luckypenny
June 20th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I've heard of the Refuge before Lise, but didn't know they had a website. Thanks for sharing that.

amaya
June 21st, 2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks Lise, I have seem the site before, but had forgotten they helped more than horses.

I suspect there are many people out there that are unofficially doing farm animal rescue, adopting a few to live with them to live out their lives forever as many of us do with our cats & dogs.

I just thought it would be nice for those people who aren't a big rescue organization to have a place to help each other out. After all, there aren't enough official rescues organizations out there for farm animals, for all the obvious reasons. Mostly because those animals usually become food.

I personally would love to hear peoples stories and learn from others, as I am planning to be ready to take in a few myself.

By the way, I did find some wonderful stories and pictures on this site from the member FancyAppy and her incredible, beautiful farm. Goats, horses, etc.

Check it out. Really inspiring!

Frenchy
June 21st, 2008, 09:48 AM
I help Rose and she works tirelessly for all of them.

:offtopic: Lise , next time you see Rose , please give her a big hug for me (tell her it's from Nadine) she's the reason why Chloe is here (my last foster failure !)

Rose saved Chloe from being put down by her owners , not only once but twice in a week before I got her.

katherine93
June 21st, 2008, 09:59 AM
If you are looking for more info on farm rescue.Refuge RR for horses is very involved in farm rescue as well.I help Rose and she works tirelessly for all of them.If you want more info go to www.refugerr.org

Are the horses posted on this website up for adoption?

poodletalk
June 21st, 2008, 10:58 AM
RR Rescue, Rose, will be having a booth at the SPCA Monteregie dogwalk on September 7th. Rose is fantastic, she helps the SPCA Monteregie alot, especally when we did a horse seizure recently. http://www.spcamonteregie.com/seizures.html

Boubou
June 22nd, 2008, 12:16 AM
Yes, Rose has many horses for adoption. She has alot of retired race horses that she's rescued from being sent to slaughter. She needs all the help she can get. Sadly horses and farm animals are often forgotten in animal rescue, most people want to help cats and dogs and these organizations rarely get help.

If anyone would like to help RefugeRR either by adopting one of her horses or by doing a fund raiser (we all know how costly it is to properly care for horses), visit their website to contact them!

Lise
June 23rd, 2008, 08:58 AM
Katura and Spec my two latest fosters,they have integrated into my gang so well I think they're here to stay.Kats is a standardbred mare off the track and Spec is an arab mare,who is no longer rideable.Rose saved both off them.Most of the horses on her site are at the refuge for life,horses form very strong attachments to eachother and it's not fair to keep destabilizing a herd.She does have many other horses in need of fosters or adoption you can get in touch with her to find out who she has.

erykah1310
June 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
My man and I just had a conversation this weekend about getting 2 horses (for light leisurely riding on our property) and decided to go rescue route since we are not planning on being "big" riders, just occasional.
However with our 40 acre field being used as our private dog park, we figured that 2 horses to live out their golden years in it would be perfect.
Could you PM me some details??:pray:

FancyAppy
July 8th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I like the idea of having a farm or hoofed animal forum. We rescue/adopt goats, horses and donkeys. It would be nice to exchange ideas, find solutions, share resources with others who are involved in hooved animal re-homing, rescuing, fostering...Thanks for suggesting it.
Thank you for your compliment on our little farm and for reading about our little furries.
Thank you for caring about farm animals.Horses, goats etc are such wonderful creatures. I can't imagine my life with out them.

amaya
July 10th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Just a quick message because I'm on a work deadline…I am adopting two severely neglected donkeys (there's a fuzzy line between neglect and abuse sometimes). This was not supposed to be happening right now, but here it is…when you see them, you can't just walk away. Have to do something. It's a long story…more later…

Donkeys! I will definately need lot's of advice Fancy Appy!

FancyAppy
July 10th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Congratulations! You will love your donkeys. Our adopted donkeys are mini's. Are yours full size? how did you come about them?. I can't wait to hear more about them and of course see pictures.:lovestruck:
We have learned so much about donkeys and will be happy to talk with you what we have learned and I know you will have lots to share as well. Congratulations again.
I know your donkeys are happy about the adoption as well.

Frenchy
July 10th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Just a quick message because I'm on a work deadline…I am adopting two severely neglected donkeys

Congratulation on the adoptions ! :thumbs up I hope they are ok ? :sad:

amaya
July 10th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Well…as I was randomly internet researching 'farm animal rescue', I saw my post from today come up 3rd on the list! It made me realize how 'public' this site is. I will happily share more about this, just carefully. Later. Need to get all the animals out first. Thanks for the good wishes! I will definately come in later with the full story and hopefully pics.

marko
July 11th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I'm just wondering, do we really need a separate forum to talk about rescuing farm animals in particular? Why can't we just talk about rescuing them here in this same forum.

Couldn't this very forum, Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please INCLUDE farm animals if some members wanted to talk about them in
particular?

Thx
Marko

amaya
July 25th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Well, because the title of this section is 'helping dogs and cats'.

I just think it would be easier to find 'each other' (info, stories etc.) if there was a dedicated space for creatures other than 'dogs and cats'. Not that I have anything against those, I live with 5 cats, 2 dogs, and the fosters that come through too.

I don't know…maybe under 'other critters'?

Of course I can't predict how much activity there would be in such a forum.

ciao.