Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Travelling across canada - help!

lolans
June 20th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Next month we are moving from Nova Scotia to Manitoba, and we are driving with our pets.

1 cat is a diabetic and needs 2 shots a day, and needs to eat 4 times a time or his blood sugar gets out of wack. He's also very very nervous, and I'm sure he's have a stroke if he had to fly there.

1 other cat has a siezure disorder. she Needs to have phenobarb twice a day at exactly 9 oclock or she can seizure. She will shake and seizure if she gets too stressed also. She can also be violent if anyone touches her(she beats my dog up all the time if the dog whines)

3rd cat is a normal over weight house cat with no travel issues(he does have a calico coat but thats another issue!)

And I have one dog, His name is Britney Spears(we got him when my daughter was 5), but we nicknamed him Max ;) Max likes travelling but he whines when we have a cat in the car...he will sit by the carrier and whine and cry when ever the cat moves.

So for now we are taking the animals out a lot to get them used to the car, but 15 to 30 minutes is nothing compared to 5 days.

Any advice? We will be staying at motels from here to there.

phoozles
June 20th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Wow - you've got quite a demanding crew!
I know from just taking my cats a ten minute drive down to the vet they are screaming for mercy - so I commend you for trying to do it with three cats and dog! :D

If your cats are on a schedule, it sounds like you'll have to make a lot of stops. Any chance you can have the dog sit up front and one of you in the back to tend to the cats while you go? That way you'll avoid the dog/cat confrontations a little, and you'll be able to feed the diabetic cat in the car.. maybe? :shrug:

And a male calico? That's definitely a unique kitty you've got there..

No more advice except to say, good luck!

badger
June 20th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I would talk to your vet, to find out if the sick cats could be made stable enough to withstand a flight. If it is within your means, I would fly them, if at all possible. I always think a wack of extreme stress is better for an organism overall (short of death:laughing:) than the slow, agonizing kind.
But what do I know, it could go fine in the car (you could pack a couple of stuffed Kongs in the cooler or purchase bones along the way, to keep the dog occupied), just a bit complicated.
If you're taking them all out for practice runs and everything is going well, is that a good sign?

lolans
June 20th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I should mention that it's a military transfer, so all expenses are paid by the military. We also have a mini van and one child()8 travelling with us.

I think we might remove the middle seats and have them moved with the house stuff. My dog doesn't do much anyway! He mostly watches "cat tv" day lol.

We have up to 7 days to travel from here to there, so we can stop a lot. We have to eat 3 times and the animals can eat when we eat. Then they can eat at night.

Should they stay in their carriers or be aloowed to roam around? Has anyone stayed at a hotel/motel with their pets before?

Folkwitch
June 20th, 2008, 01:38 PM
We do a major drive with three dogs about once a year, means at least one or two nights in a motel. There's a website you can use to search for motels along the way (www.petfriendly.ca) and that's helped us.

Our issue is that the two wee dogs don't like any other dogs. Four events where they were considered prey by large black dogs (Rottis three times, a Doberman the last time) means the minute any strange dog runs at them even in a friendly way they freak out, poop themselves, and take off. I'm just too old to be able to catch a panicky Italian.

They're a little calmer with dogs now that they're living with my big black mutt, I guess he boosts their confidence, but it still means we need to be careful where we take our pee breaks. Luckily most small town gas stations on the Trans Canada highway have green spaces nearby.

Good luck - DH says stick to Motel 6, they're cheap and clean and usually pet friendly.

TacoGrl
June 20th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Might I also suggest a little "something" for the driver and co-liot? :D to keep you both from going :crazy:

RUSTYcat
June 20th, 2008, 11:13 PM
...Should they stay in their carriers or be aloowed to roam around? Has anyone stayed at a hotel/motel with their pets before?

I have made a 4 day trip with one cat...I let him out in the motel room, but only after I had checked everywhere for rodent pesticide.

There is also this website which lists pet-friendly hotels (http://www.petswelcome.com/). I would probably use that today to ensure a safe environment - but I think I'd still ask if they use any pest control.

I also rmember being paranoid everytime the door of the room was opened - imagining loosing kitty a thousand miles from home!

I also remember that the stress factor diminished greatly after a couple of days. The cat was coming out of the carrier to eat and use the litterbox. (I'm not suggesting you lt your cats out, but simply describing the gradual decrease of stress.)