Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Raised bowl or no?

loopoo
June 20th, 2008, 01:11 PM
hiya all

just wondered, and i know this has been discussed before..

with regards to anyone with dogs that have deep chests, are gulpers, have had bloat:( do you feed in a raised dish or no?

i have done a ton of research, and still am stumped as to what the best way is seems to be a 50/50 so i would like your personal choice/experience :)

Riker is a gulper, and i watch his water intake/exercise times but still not sure if a raised bowl , or non raised is better..anyway, your feedback would be helpful.. thanks in advance

Lukka'sma
June 20th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I use a raised bowl for Lukka, always have since she was a pup. Like you I have read good and bad and nobody seems to have a clear cut reason to support one way or the other as far as I am concerned. It is a personal choice we made to get her a raised bowl.:shrug:

Sylvie
June 20th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I have used raised bowls for about 15 years now. Never had problems when I used the raised or on the floor. So, not sure which is the right way. Must be a personal decision. I have read the pros and cons on both and still stay with the raised bowls. :confused:

LavenderRott
June 20th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I have used both.

Seems like the last paper I read regarding research and the causes of bloat mentioned the presence of citric acid in foods.

Personally - I think it is all just a crap shoot and you have to read the research and make the decision that you are most comfortable with.

As for gulping food and water - use a big dish and put something in the middle (I know a couple of people who use big rocks!) so that the dog has to eat/drink around it.

katherine93
June 20th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I use the ones that sit nicley on the floor, simply because the pups like lying down in front of the bowls and sticking their heads in it(funny thing, one started it then they all did:laughing:) I have very lazy pups! lol I have no trouble with these bowls. Casey is a gulper and last night somebody mentioned putting a kong in her bowl so she has to eat around it.. And it worked!! :thumbs up

-katherine

Purpledomino
June 20th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Having two breeds predisposed to bloat and having had one succumb a couple years ago (my Chow...RIP Bear :sad:), I have also read the conflicting reports on the raised bowl issue. I choose to feed in raised as well...I just put their steel bowls on top of upside down horse buckets and that seems to be a good height for them. I've watched them eat both ways, and they seem (to me anyway) to have less trouble getting the food down the gullet when the bowl is raised, and I think its just a more comfortable possition for them, as tall as they are.

I do think it's very important if the issue is avoiding bloat, to feed two smaller meals instead of one large one, and VERY important....don't schedule any physical activity around mealtimes. :pawprint:

angeldogs
June 20th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I keep Jags bowls down.i thought of raising his food only as he lays with his front paws around his water dish.if i put his water dish up he tries to lay down still.

Masha
June 20th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Jermy's food and water dishes are raised. When he was about 7-8 months old he started looking uncomfortable eating/drinking from the bowls at floor level. We gradually raised them.