Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wondering how much say I have once the kittens leave

phoozles
June 20th, 2008, 12:29 PM
So my stray's kittens are getting ready to find a new home, as many of you know..

Igby has a future home, and last night I had a couple of coworkers/friends over to see the kittens.. They already have a cat and the female half of the couple is a real animal lover. They took to Cappy - and even talked about potential names for him (like Cappy isn't good enough?! ha)..

Anyway, things were looking good and we went out for dinner. We were talking about how my vet charges a ridiculous amount for a spay, and then she said that she got a good deal on her cat, including the neuter and declawing.. :yell: I looked at her and said, "You declawed your cat?" And she said, "Yeah, he was ripping up the carpet. But then after he was declawed, he started chewing up the carpet" So I said, "So it did nothing" .. She said, "Yeah, but he doesn't scratch".. I said, "Do you know what they do to declaw? That they disfigure them and take off parts of their toes?" She said, "Yeah, but he scratched" .. I said, "What happens if he gets outside? He'd be mauled - he can't defend himself" She said, "Doesn't happen - he doesn't get outside" :frustrated: Then she said, "We can't have one cat with claws and one without - my cat will get hurt" .. Basically implying that they will declaw Cappy if they have him.. :mad:

I changed the subject, but I was pissed. I haven't spent all this time and money invested in these kittens to have them disfigured after they leave my home. I know it's my personal opinion, and I don't know how much clout I have once they leave, but c'mon!

Anyway, I was fully prepared to tell them this morning that I could not give them the kitten if they were going to declaw him, but it seems like there's no point - I guess some guy from the OSPCA was in here with a dog, and now they want to get him.. of course, they haven't said anything to me either way - (knowing them, they'll just pretend they never expressed interest in getting the kitten) because they don't like confrontation, but I guess it saves me from having to turn them down.. Grrr (okay, I'm better now)

So Cappy and CC are still up for grabs - any takers? :laughing:

Love4himies
June 20th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I would keep an extra cat in my house before I let it go to somebody who was going to have it declawed.:evil: I think somepeople think it is like clipping fingernails and don't think twice :frustrated:. My mother likes cats but she likes them declawed too. I have told her what I think of declawing.

How is the humane society in your area? They may have an easier time adopting out the kittens as they will have more exposure and they may have manditory spay/neuter policy too. I understand about not wanting them to go in a cage, but kittens' stay is usually very short, unlike some adults.

phoozles
June 20th, 2008, 12:51 PM
The only problem is the OSPCA in my area is having a "Cat-a-Thon" .. They are 25 cats over capacity - and they are euthanizing the ones that have been there the longest. :sad:
I'm sure the kittens would go fast, but I'm worried that I would be sentencing an older one to death by putting them in there..

But if I can't find owners for the other two in a month, I think I'm going to have to do it - I don't want to wait until they're not "cute" anymore.. *sigh*

Love4himies
June 20th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Aww that's too bad, I am lucky, the humane society I volunteer for is a no kill (unless for health reasons).

want4rain
June 20th, 2008, 01:04 PM
are there any rescues in the area you can sorta work with?? i know our rescue makes you sign a contract stating that if you can not keep your cat, it has to be returned to them. declawing is NOT allowed. period. so if you cant handle your cat clawing up your stuff then they take them back. now i WILL say they ahve worked with a few people with wildly scratching cats that were in otherwise good homes but thats really kept on the down low.

anyway, what im saying is that you can cover yourself with an organizations blanket/contract if you get what im saying?? :)

-ashley

kimnmark
June 20th, 2008, 01:16 PM
That must be so frustrating. :fingerscr that someone else comes forward soon for those adorable kitties

phoozles
June 20th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Luckily there are a bunch of municipalities around here, so we'll see. I sent a note to our local one (the one with the cat-a-thon) asking for their advice. Hopefully if they can't take them in, they'll refer me to a shelter that has some space :fingerscr

Don't know if they have declawing prevention - but I doubt it .. I know that when I called my vet to get Alley spayed, they asked me 3 times if I wanted to get her declawed at the same time.. I kept saying no, but they kept asking :frustrated:

phoozles
June 20th, 2008, 01:44 PM
The male half of the couple just came up to me for the awkward "We're not going to take your kitten convo" .. He said, "So, we're dealing with animals all over the place - now we're thinking of taking that dog.." I said, "oh yeah?" and he said, "We're still thinking about the kitten too, though" .. :rolleyes: I looked at him and said, "You're going to get a new dog AND the kitten?" and he said, "No, probably not - they are really cute though" ..
:frustrated: Just spit it out that you want a dog instead - I don't want you cutting up my kittens anyway ..

I heard the female half mention the claws on the dog.. wonder if they'll try to have him declawed.. :confused: :rolleyes:

Winston
June 20th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Phoozles check your pm...I would give them the opportunity to get near your kitties...shows yoou what kind of people they are!

Cindy

phoozles
June 20th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I know, I'm kind of relieved (although still quite annoyed) by this dog development - then I don't have to fight with them about the declawing.. I do think they are rushing into the dog thing - it sits in her lap for 2 minutes and suddenly they are filling out the adoption paperwork :rolleyes:. They don't even know if the dog is okay with cats or how their cat will do with the dog.. Whatever, I wash my hands of it..

I got a note back from my OSPCA saying that they would think of some solutions and send me a note next week.. They are hesitant to take them, not only because of the euthanising, but also because my kittens are currently healthy, and a lot of the kitties in the shelter are sick, so it would introduce them to a sea of viruses that their immune systems probably won't be able to take. Maybe they'll let me 'foster' them at my house until they can be adopted.. We'll see.

TacoGrl
June 20th, 2008, 06:56 PM
The SPCA here in Calgary kills, but just outside of town in Cochrane, they have a no-kill policy. Sometimes they have foster homes available too.

I am glad they didn't get the kitty...declawing is so ignorant...if they don't understand that, what else would they do to the kitty?!?

krdahmer
June 20th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Ya ditto on all the declaw comments.... and phooey to the you can't have one declawed and one with claws.... my parents have that. We declawed poor Cordy before we knew better and her little 'sister' (actually Fagan's real sister) has her claws... and no problems at all.

There are sooooo many kittens around right now. My vet's office was trying to get me to take home the most adorable tuxedo kitten today when I picked up Fagan's meds.... I was so tempted (I missed Buddy and Palomine's kittenhood... :sad:) but then I pictured the look on hubby's face... and the ding in the pocketbook.... and more months of poor Smoke hissing at everyone.... but she is soooooo cute.... :o Sadly I had to leave her there. Although 7 is a lucky number.... :rolleyes::laughing:

I'm sure suitable homes can be found for your little ones... you may just have to foster a little longer! :angel2::grouphug:

14+kitties
June 20th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Unfortunately I don't think we have much say once the kitties leave us. I know the two my kids are getting are safe with them.
I pray IF I find homes for the other six that they will be going to homes that would treat them the same way I would. No declawing, fixed as soon as possible, and as much snuggling, hugging, loving as they need. I have been trying to come up with a contract I can have potential owners sign which would also include "If you can't keep them they come back to me." :shrug:
Good luck with finding homes for the little angels.

ancientgirl
June 21st, 2008, 08:05 AM
That woman sounds like she just wants a cat to be decoration or something. So she declawed her cat but now it uses it's teeth to mess up her furniture. I sure hope she doesn't decide to have his teeth pulled.

I think if you have the opportunity to screen people then do it. Sadly, many people don't really know what declawing entails. I know I never did, but when I found out I was appalled!

Do they have something called The Cat Network in your area? They help with strays and do fostering and adoption programs. They work with the local Petmsart's and Petco's and have adoption drives every Saturday at the stores. Maybe that's something you can do.

chico2
June 21st, 2008, 08:24 AM
Phoozles,I almost had the same experience with a lady who was going to take Vinnie(a human doctor),declawing was a must for her,so we ended up keeping Vinnie.:thumbs up
I can understand how any foster feels,looking in to the innocent eyes of a kitten/puppy and giving them up to an uncertain future,after being loved and cared for.
I think your friends seem to take pet-ownership very lightly,when in reality it's a very longterm responsibility.
They seem to be the kind of people that would dump an animal with any sign of trouble.
I really don't know many people,other than the people on the Forum,I would hand over kittens to,I would end up with a house full of cats..
You have a very hard decision to make and I hope it turns out good for both you and the little sweeties:fingerscr