Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What happen to loving me unconditional?

jealma
June 20th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Abby looks at me today like I"m the enemy. At some point between 7:30 and 8:30 this morning she managed to get out of her onezies I put on her to protect her stitches. She had managed to get the cone off 3x now, so I was hoping this would fix the problem. ( I think maybe my hubby didn't get them back on right after he took her for her morning piddle). So when I woke she had them up around her chest and was going to town licking on her stitches. It doesn't look like she did any damage, but I had a royal fight on my hands getting her back into the onezies ( baby undershirt that buttons under the butt) She hasnt eatten today, other than toast ( I hope) with my hubby this morning, and she is acting like she wishes I would just go away. There is no happy puppy when I talk to her, and she is laying around looking rejected and unloved. She's breaking my heart, yet I'm just trying to do what is right for her. How much longer till she is acting like herself? She is really hating the clothing, and the cone, but I can't let her at her stitches,, more than she has all ready been now.. :sick:

jessi76
June 20th, 2008, 11:07 AM
this may sound whacky, but have you tried conventional methods to distract the dog from the stitches, other than trying to dress a dog in baby clothes?(which i must admit, sounds completely crazy to me). try offering a really tasty raw knuckle or meaty bone instead. I can't imagine trying to dress a dog in a onesie is going to do much good... sounds like it's just irritating the dog, not to mention the over-activity it takes to get it on.

Chris21711
June 20th, 2008, 11:40 AM
IMO Jealma, I wouldn't stress over, it's just for a few days little Abby will get over it. I think she is just pouting. :2cents:

breeze
June 20th, 2008, 11:53 AM
this is just my option, but I would think that the "oneie" might be bothering her..it is porbably very uncomfortable and hot..
if she can get the cone off then maybe the cone is to big and has to be either tighten or get a smaller one..
show her that she still can eat with the cone on.
she will be back to normal in no time.. stop worrying, she'll come around..

kimnmark
June 20th, 2008, 12:20 PM
The others have good suggestions.
And don't worry, she'll still love you when all is said & done.

Guinness' mom
June 20th, 2008, 12:24 PM
LOL.. then there is my dog who after having him neutered had to wear one of those cones around his head. He would actually wag his tail and help me put it on. He also thought it was fun to drag it into the snow like a shovel.
Don't worry Jealma she still love's ya ;).

jealma
June 20th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks, I reverted to the onesee cause she managed to get the cone off so many times. She still isn't eating like she should. I do think she is perhaps pouting. She has many distractions but every so often I think the stitches twinge a little and draws her attention.. I know I need to relax and worry less about her.

hazelrunpack
June 20th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Now might be the time to ask the vet about pain management. It sounds to me like her stitches are driving her nuts...whether still stinging or itching, an NSAID of some sort will give her some relief and give you a break.

Also, you might need a smaller cone or collar for it if she's able to slip the one you have over her head.

Poor Abby. Poor Jealma! But she'll forgive you once she's feeling better! :D I promise!! :o

BusterBoo
June 20th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Poor Abby! I am sure within a day or two she will start to relax and start eating as normal. However, I have found that once I started to hand feed Harley when he was sick, he preferred the hand feeding even after he got better! :D I eventually stopped and he figured it out quick that if he wanted food, he had better get over to the bowl!

If the onsie isn't working and the collar isn't working, then distraction might be your only option.

Oh ya....and the relax and worry less about her.....well, that's easier said than done :D Folks on this board keep telling me to relax and breathe :laughing: and it works!!! :grouphug:

Georgie121
June 20th, 2008, 03:26 PM
This might sound nutty, but it really works! Not only for animals, but for chronic thumb sucking toddlers as well as many other uses, and it's non-toxic, and won't cause any discomfort.

Aloe Vera: If you have an Aloe Vera plant, if you don't run out and get one, pick off a small piece of a leaf and scrape out the contents onto a small, flat plate. (You can taste this yourself! It's really awful!) Rub the contents over the wound and stitches--it also promotes healing, minimization of scars, and is a natural antibiotic--blow on it until dry, and let your subject go about their normal routine. However, now they've got this nasty, icky, potent taste every time they go to the area you are trying to protect with their mouth, tongue or teeth.

Generally, I've found it takes less than 3 days to cure a chronic thumb sucking child from trying to pop that delicious, now icky, finger into his/her mouth, and only a few licks by canine or feline patients to be cured.

This has all kinds of uses. If whatever your puppy is chewing on won't stain, use this simple cure to stop chewing of shoes, children's toys that don't belong to your puppy, table legs, whatever your puppy gnaws on that it shouldn't.

The lovely thing about this cure is that once dried it will remain on the patient or object for days at a time, or until rubbed off, washed off, or licked off. In the case of licked off, which I've never come across, you've got a patient with high tolerance to icky factor.

Hope this helps.
Doctor of Holistic Medicine,
Georgie

jealma
June 20th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Ok, so I'm off to the store to pick up a small alo vra plant. I"m sure I can find a small one at wal-mart. I hope this works. I so don't want her doing any damage to herself. Crazy how fast and how big a peice of our hearts these little gals ( or guys) take.

Masha
June 20th, 2008, 08:16 PM
aloe-vera is poisonous to dogs and cats based on what i have read.

Shaykeija
June 20th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I just used those sani panties you get at the pet store. Your pup is probably size 1 as Quncy is 14 pounds and I used size 2 on him. They will cover the incision and are not uncomfortable. They have a hole for the tail and velcro on.

CyberKitten
June 21st, 2008, 01:12 PM
You can buy non toxic aloe vera liquid without the plant tho admittedly, I do have some plants. What about a better cone - not an e collar- there are some wonderful new ones that are light and allow a dog to eat normally.

http://www.funstufffordogs.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1199286390&PNAME=Comfy+Cone+Soft+Pet+E+Collar+Alternative+-+Large
http://www.arcatapet.com/fullsize/12672.jpg
http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A1770/177092/300_177092.jpg

I also agree that you should not obsess over it. She'll get over it. And check out the pain meds absolutely!! You might ask your vet for a script for more pain medication.

jealma
June 21st, 2008, 10:06 PM
aloe-vera is poisonous to dogs and cats based on what i have read.
Yesterday 04:55 PM

Dear me, I hope not. I did try to rub a little on her belly but she takes a fit if I try to touch it. I think I'll take her into the vet on monday. It is looking red, and better safe than sorry. Figure I'll just get the big lecture about keeping her from it even though I have given it a really really honest try. Heck between buying her onesees and now a useless avera plant. I'm always yelling no at her when she goes to lick at her self, I"m going to need a rest once she's better.