Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HELP -11 month old rescued dog won't pee or poop outside!

Purfectionn
June 19th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I just rescued a female jack russell/chihuahua mixed puppy and her old owners had her peeing on puppy pads and kept her in a crate for 12-16 hours a day while they were at work. I have tried having the puppy pads down and even near the door, but she wont even go on the puppy pads with me. She get walked at least 10 times a day along with our 2 year old male chihuahua. I give her a command to "go potty" but every time she has to go to the bathroom she holds it on all of the walks and goes as soon as she gets either into my house or office.

Both dogs come to my office with me every day and I cannot have her just going to the bathroom wherever and whenever she wants to. Does anyone have any advise please?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Best,

A

Kashi
June 19th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I'm far from an expert, but my thought is to make her walks longer - keep her outside until she does pee or poop. And reward her like crazy when she does.

mollywog
June 19th, 2008, 03:25 PM
How long have you had her for? Our rescue was similar, had no problem going inside at first, because thats what she was used to doing. Give her some time to adjust to her new surroundings, and TONS of praise once she finally does go outside. Also, watch for behaviours like circling or sniffing and immediately pick her up and place her outside even if she's already doing her business!
Good luck, and bless you for rescuing a dog... I am sure she will be a forever grateful girl! :pawprint:

tenderfoot
June 19th, 2008, 06:08 PM
When she does make a mistake inside clean it up with paper towles and take the papers outside and put a rock on them to keep them in place. Always take her to that location first and last on your walks. It might help her want to pee and also let her think she has peed there before. Do the same with her poops.

I think the best way is to take her out for plenty of long excursions, try to take her to places where other dogs have soiled or to the places you have placed her soiled papers.

I am sure at first she will still not go outside. So you need to keep her on the leash when you come inside and watch her like a hawk. You need to treat her like a new puppy again. She needs to learn that soiling inside is not permited. So if you catch her even thinking about it you need to give her a calm but clear correction with your voice and get her outside again and stay with her until she goes. If she doesn't then you start all over again.

She is hopefully less likely to soil when she is on the leash with you, so you need to take her out again (about 10 minutes after you came in) and start over. Because she was an inside dog for so long she is possibly overwhelmed with the excitement of being outside and forgets to potty - just like a little puppy. Each time she comes in she is likely to think about soiling and her body will pressure her to do something. You are just going to keep on taking her in and out until you get the response you want and then have a 'potty party' when she is successful outside. Let her know that was the best thing she has ever done!

lotus
June 19th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I'm no expert, I to have a rescue dog(puppy mill) she only knew the inside of a cage. When I take my little Sugar outside I stay with her and we don't come inside until she goes rain or shine. For the first little bit she just tried to hide. I get pretty wet some days and cold.
I never raise my voice to her or my other dog speak softly. From the information I have been give it's the right thing to do. Everyone has also told me love and time. After a while your kindness will show through.
Good Luck with your new baby. :cloud9:

BusterBoo
June 19th, 2008, 06:17 PM
First, thank you for giving this pup a safe home!!!

As for potty training, like Tenderfoot said, treat her like a puppy. She has to learn from the start as she was never taught what was right and wrong. Lots of positive reinforcement, lots of praise for the good times. Don't punish for the mistakes, just clean them up and carry on. Your neighbours will think you are crazy when you are outside dancing about because pup did potty, but that's ok!!!! :D

Good luck with your new addition!!! Does puppy have a name and picture??