Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Clavamax

catnbudge
June 19th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Cherry, my 16 year old cat, is FIV positive and also has thyroid problems. She takes interferon every second week for the FIV and Tapezole twice daily for the thyroid. Recently we upped the Tapezole to 0.20 ml twice a day as she was often vomiting and coughing. On Monday, the vet prescribed Clavamax as her breath indicated an infection from tartar on her teeth. Unfortunately, this is the week for her interferon so she is getting all three meds.

Since I started the Clavamax Monday night, she has eaten very little. Does this med have a history of affecting appetite? The vet mentioned that she wouldn't like the taste. The Tapezole is in liquid form also and she hates the taste.

I am very concerned about the loss of appetite. Do you think it is time for an appetite stimulant?

I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance, catnbudge

sugarcatmom
June 19th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Yes, Clavamox is notorious for causing digestive issues like nausea and vomiting in cats. It's best to mix it with food or give it on a full stomach. At this point, the not eating is very serious, so I would give your vet a call and see what they say (appetite stimulant and/or stopping the Clavamox).

catnbudge
June 19th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Thanks for your reply. I called the vet right away and was advised to stop the Clavamax. I am to call them in tomorrow morning and let them know if she's eating.

Thank you again, catnbudge

sugarcatmom
June 19th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Cool, I hope she starts eating for you. Maybe you can try to jump-start her appetite by offering something really irresistable like tuna or plain meat baby food (chicken is popular with cats - just make sure there's no onion powder in it), or some really stinky canned food or yogurt.

Let us know how she does.

onster
June 19th, 2008, 11:50 PM
My kitten Bunduk was on clavamox for a bit. He had an upper respiratory infection as a kitten and was given another type of antibiotcs but it never really cleared up/came back again (he is going to deal with this his whole life) and the vet then prescribed clavamox.

He never completed the course though :o I know very very very bad and I know the consequences as Im in science too but he wouldnt eat very well on it either/ he had gotten much better and was fine even when i accidently missed a day.

But ya my cat also had decreased appetite from it so it is normal as sugarcatmom said.

faranya
July 2nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
My little five-year-old kitty has been battling a complex combination of issues since mid-May. He's visited the vet so many times in these past weeks that I finally got a "preferred client discount"! Sadly, he continues to fare poorly and is losing weight by refusing to eat much at all. I puree raw liver with some corn syrup; I offer low-sodium tuna and salmon. He licks at the juices as best he can but doesn't want to actually chew solids.

He has been on three rounds of Clavamox thus far, although that's not his only medication (he also takes diltiazem rubbed inside his ears, pediapred for the last few days, potassium, subcutaneous saline). And his appetite has definitely plummeted since he first got sick. He had a brief Clavamox break for a couple weeks but I'm wondering whether he's mentally adopted a pattern of not-eating.

The vet has not mentioned loss of appetite resulting from this drug. Maybe he assumes I already know about this. The latest course ends tomorrow night so I'll be hopeful that things might pick up. Thanks to everyone in this thread for the information. Best of luck, catnbudge, with your kitty.

sugarcatmom
July 2nd, 2008, 08:57 PM
I puree raw liver with some corn syrup; I offer low-sodium tuna and salmon. He licks at the juices as best he can but doesn't want to actually chew solids.

I responded to your other thread about the diltiazem, but just thought I'd put my :2cents: in here as well. Have you tried plain meat baby food (no onions) to stimulate Gollum's appetite? You can mix in a bit of warm water and he can just lap it up, no chewing required. It's a good sign that he is at least licking at food, you may just have to keep trying different things like yogurt or deli meat or a bunch of cat treats (haven't met a cat yet that can resist the taste of Greenies). This is getting desperate and may require either an appetite stimulant or syringe feeding. There's a great Yahoo group about Feline Assisted Feeding (http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-Assisted-Feeding/?v=1&t=directory&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=dir&slk=10) that you can join for more info. Good luck!

faranya
July 5th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks!! He ate quite well this morning - liver puree with corn syrup, diluted with some water to make it runnier. He chewed the lumps that got left. Didn't finish it all but he never does anyhow. He just eats till he feels he's had enough.

I have oral syringes at the ready. He resents their use, naturally enough. I tried him yesterday with mashed banana for potassium and he wasn't crazy about that process. But if he can get it via food and not capsules, I'd like to be persistent.

Treats have been met with mixed response. He ate them for awhile, then went off them. I'll offer a few this evening and see how he reacts. He used to be a real treat glutton. Well, he was a glutton, period. He still weighs 9 1/2 pounds so we're not talking an emaciated little waif quite yet. That
s without a tail to add extra weight. :)