Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poor Fagan.... AGAIN!

krdahmer
June 19th, 2008, 11:28 AM
As some of you know, Fagan has an ongoing allergy problem where when irritated he chews off his skin and fur. Well he's at it again. I am currently taking grains out of their diet completely (switching from Performatrin to Fromm) but I just started the switch so it's not going to help this bought.

He started about a week ago, and after discussing it with the vet, we decided to give a short term of prednisone pills a try as opposed to the usual depo shot. And it has been futile. I am waiting to hear back from the vet now on what we should do next as I am unsure of how long we need to wait to give him the shot (which always works and he usually goes about 3-4 months with no issues after). He is getting weaned of the prednisone now at one pill every other day until monday.

Here is what I'm talking about.... first is his booby, where he always starts, then onto the legs, and another angle of the boob.

They seemed to have pretty good scabs yesturday in the am, then last night he pulled them all off and it was red and angry lookin again.:sad:

I am going to wash my bedding today and eliminate all scented stuff and see if maybe that helps... there are just so many things to eliminate and it's getting more and more frustrating! I just hate to see him so uncomfortable! I just wish they could test them for allergies like they do for us, so you could narrow down what he is allergic too, the only one we are certain of is fleas and that we have controlled (they are on revolution all year, none go outside, the house is sprayed 2x a year) and eliminated so far with no results is corn litter, corn and wheat from food, chicken and beef and fish from food... next is fabric softener from bedding, and all grains from food. And we also don't think it's anxiety related because on the prozac, he still chewed off the fur.:shrug::sad::frustrated:

krdahmer
June 19th, 2008, 11:31 AM
This one is a bit blurry but you can see how he does the whole inside and most of the back of his legs...

This has been going on so long now (over 2 years) that now the fur doesn't really grow back at all except for a little peach fuzz on his belly and inner thighs.

The holistic meds really help make the shots last longer, but don't seem to do a darn thing when he's this far gone.

loopoo
June 19th, 2008, 11:40 AM
aww poor little guy...

food switch may very well do the job, but can take several weeks to have full effect, although you may see some improvement within the first couple. Definitely fabric softner ommission can help too, lots of animals seem to have issues with that.

you may want to consider adding a source of omegas to his food, fish oil, salmon oil there are many kinds as you know but this can help greatly with skin, coat, and reducing inflammation.

lastly till his skin heals, if you can get it, natural calendula oil it is safe for cats to apply and or ingest, its a natural soother and may help some..

good luck with your kitty i hope the food change and fabric softener elimination helps...

Love4himies
June 19th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Poor Fagan :grouphug:

Can cats take Benadryl to help with the itching?

Lukka'sma
June 19th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Aww the poor darlin must be so uncomfortable. I hope you get him better soon

Frenchy
June 19th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Poor kitty :sad: I have no advice :sorry:

krdahmer
June 19th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Ya we tried that too, we've been through pills and creams galore! Anything I put on topically just makes him chew more and the pills had no affect at all. The only thing that really helps is the depo shot, and a lot of those aren't good either, which is why we were trying the prednisone pills.

I just think now, that if 2-3 depo shots a year let him live comfy and happy, maybe it's not such a bad thing to just stick with the shots?

And if Dr. Lee wants to opine on that... well I'd be grateful. :)

loopoo
June 19th, 2008, 12:01 PM
do you have him on omegas? they can definitely help over time, but you would need to give them for the rest of his life along with his meals. surprised the calendula didnt help, its good for some really nasty skin allergies i can attest to this:) hope dr. lee has some better advice.. but if the shots do help, getting them a few times a year is definitely an idea.. hope he feels better soon :)

krdahmer
June 19th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I had him on salmon oil for about 4 months, and it seemed to make him more irritated as well, I thought about maybe trying like an olive oil instead? I know that's supposed to help with furballs... not sure if it would work on the skin as well?

The vet still hasn't called back... I just know she'll call the minute I get in the shower... :frustrated::rolleyes:

kimnmark
June 19th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Poor Fagen :sad: Wish I had some advice for you.

sugarcatmom
June 19th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Have you tried a novel protein wet food? Something like venison or rabbit?

hazelrunpack
June 19th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Poor Fagan! :grouphug: I hope he's more comfortable and heals up soon!

onster
June 19th, 2008, 05:23 PM
owwwie poor Fagan :sad: that looks so painful :grouphug:

I hope u figure it out soon and all is better :fingerscr:pray:

ancientgirl
June 19th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Poor Fagan! I'm so sorry to hear he's got this issue. It sounds like the depo shots might be something to really think about. Are they in any way harmful to him as far as any side effects? If it's safe and the vet says so that might be something to go with. And if it's something he only has to get 3 or 4 times a year that's not bad.

Had you mentioned before Fagan didn't like the Wellness? Was that you? I've managed to get all my gang on Wellness grain free, and since Maks has turned his nose up to raw, that's at least something.

Taking out all things with perfumes and chemicals is a good idea too. I know a few people who have done that with their kids who are allergic to certain things. I wish I could suggest something. It really is too bad we can't test them for allergies.

the gang
June 19th, 2008, 09:23 PM
just a thought my cocker was the same , i used gold bond as she said--- worked great brenda.

14+kitties
June 19th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Ouch! Poor Fagan!! No suggestions from this corner. Just sympathy. Poor boy. :grouphug:

krdahmer
June 20th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Fagan says thanks for the sympathy... I have washed all the bedding I can think of that he lays on regularly in Sunlight sensitive with no fabric softeners... so we'll see if that helps. I'll just kick myself if it was that simple all along! And of course the vet didn't call back... half the time I think the girls at the desk get too busy and don't even bother giving her the messages, :frustrated:so I'll call again tomorrow.

And ya Ancient Fagan will eat a bit of the wellness, but only a teaspoon or so and really watered down, I'm hoping the Fromm grain free dry will help. We are half way through the switch over. And I've started doing the major litter clean outs more often too just in case that may have something to do with it.

Anyhow, I hope we can get this straightened out before the weekend... he's been at it for over a week now, and it just looks so painful! :sad:

And I may have to look at getting a vet here in the falls, the drives to st catherines are getting too costly! The darn van is over a $100 to fill up now! Plus in an emergency it's too far to go, and they are always sooo busy there. It's just that the two vets that are there and the vet techs are so good with the animals. My mom suggested maybe getting a second opinion for Fagan though, just to see what another vet may be able to suggest.... I don't know it's late... I had timmie's too close to bed time and now my mind is racing and I can't sleep... :rolleyes:

And SCM, I think we have tried venison, not sure but it was one they didn't like.... they did well on the vet duck food, so I am trying the Fromm Duck now. As for rabbit, I don't think I could buy it let alone feed it, just because my beloved pet as a child was a rabbit... :shrug: (although I know thats likely the kind of thing they'd be eating outdoors...I would just have terrible nightmares about fluffy bunnies... :o)

Thanks all for your suggestions and sympathy for my poor little man. :grouphug:

Oh and Ancient I did a lot of research on the shots and I can't recall exactly the long term effects of multiple shots but there were some side effects that I was concerned about which was why I discussed it with the vet and we tried the pills.... I just don't think they were effective at all. At least I know the shots work, and do last a few months each time, heck one last year lasted almost 5 months. I think this time though we will have to get the shot again. Then who knows maybe it was the fabric softener all this time and after he heals up he won't need anymore! :fingerscr

sugarcatmom
June 20th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I'm hoping the Fromm grain free dry will help.

Is that the "Surf & Turf" one? Cause I have to say, there are a lot of ingredients in there that I would try to stay clear of in an allergic cat. Fish, for one, is a common feline allergen. Then there's also chicken, which, because it's used so excessively in cat food, can result in allergies from over-exposure. Eggs are another to avoid.

I realize it can be a time-consuming and frustrating challenge to get cats to eat what you want them to (been there!), but I gotta say I think an all wet diet with simple ingredients (like By Nature Organics or Innova Evo 95%) would go a long way towards clearing up Fagan's skin problem. Something without chicken, fish, beef, eggs, diary and of course grains (notably, corn, wheat and soy). If you haven't seen this already, there are tips at this link for convincing cats to eat canned food: http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitioning_Dry_Food_Addicts_to_Canned_Food_

ancientgirl
June 20th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Do you think that maybe putting a cold compress on the area will at least help with the itching temporarily? Then again, he might not hold still for that.

I think chemical free detergent is a good start, along with the food. How about Aveeno? I know that's for human skin problems, but maybe you can talk to your vet about that. I know there is some kind of a soaking type thing they have which is supposed to help for skin issues.:shrug:

14+kitties
June 20th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Just a note - if you are up yet after having that Timmies too close to bedtime! :rolleyes: Funny, coffee never keeps me awake. :shrug: Lucky I guess.
When TT was having all of his issues a few weeks back the vet told me to get something with Aloe Vera in it to soothe his bottom. Maybe it would help with Fagan's itch? If you have the plant just take a piece and rub it gently on his ouchies. Poor baby looks so sore. :grouphug:

krdahmer
June 20th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Is that the "Surf & Turf" one? Cause I have to say, there are a lot of ingredients in there that I would try to stay clear of in an allergic cat. Fish, for one, is a common feline allergen. Then there's also chicken, which, because it's used so excessively in cat food, can result in allergies from over-exposure. Eggs are another to avoid.

I realize it can be a time-consuming and frustrating challenge to get cats to eat what you want them to (been there!), but I gotta say I think an all wet diet with simple ingredients (like By Nature Organics or Innova Evo 95%) would go a long way towards clearing up Fagan's skin problem. Something without chicken, fish, beef, eggs, diary and of course grains (notably, corn, wheat and soy). If you haven't seen this already, there are tips at this link for convincing cats to eat canned food: http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitioning_Dry_Food_Addicts_to_Canned_Food_

When this started a couple years ago, I did a LOT of research and the first things we cut out were chicken, beef and fish, he's been on single source protein/ no corn or wheat ever since... started with duck, then tried lamb (current) and are now switching back to the duck. And the canned food is an ongoing saga here... they (as in 5 out of the 6) have thus far thwarted all my attempts no matter how sneaky to introduce wet to their diets... Fagan has a little as a snack and Buddy eats it almost exclusively now. But other than those two, the others would rather starve. (And I really don't have the money to keep buying and throwing out expensive canned food.) I continue to try new kinds to see if I can get them interested, but no luck so far. Once I have them on the Fromm (Duck a la Veggie not the fishy one) dry for a bit, I may try to intro some wet again as the Fromm looks easy to mix with wet. And thanks always for your helpful and knowledgable advice! :grouphug:

Just a note - if you are up yet after having that Timmies too close to bedtime! :rolleyes: Funny, coffee never keeps me awake. :shrug: Lucky I guess.
When TT was having all of his issues a few weeks back the vet told me to get something with Aloe Vera in it to soothe his bottom. Maybe it would help with Fagan's itch? If you have the plant just take a piece and rub it gently on his ouchies. Poor baby looks so sore. :grouphug:

Coffee never keeps me up... I had a steeped tea! But I'm also stressed about hubby's job so that could have been it also. And I am always hesitant to use aloe for anything, as I found out I had a slight allergy to it by slathering it all over a severe sunburn when I was a teen.... only to have the sunburn then covered in hives!!!:eek: OUCH!:rolleyes: I'd hate Fagan to be allergic and find out that way...

Do you think that maybe putting a cold compress on the area will at least help with the itching temporarily? Then again, he might not hold still for that.

I think chemical free detergent is a good start, along with the food. How about Aveeno? I know that's for human skin problems, but maybe you can talk to your vet about that. I know there is some kind of a soaking type thing they have which is supposed to help for skin issues.:shrug:

I could try the cold... good idea. The area does seem very hot to the touch. He actually seems a bit less vigorous in his licking today, :fingerscr that it's the clean scent free sheets!!!

ancientgirl
June 20th, 2008, 11:22 AM
At the very least, maybe the cold will numb his area a little so he doesn't feel the itch. Hopefully what you've already done is helping him.

Do you think if they scraped the area they cold find out if he's got some kind of a fungus type infection on his skin? I don't know if that's something that would work, but I remember seeing that program Dog Town on National Geographic, and they had a dog they were caring for that was allergic to almost everything, even his owners. I recall the vet taking little scrapping samples of his skin to look at it under a microscope.

sugarcatmom
June 20th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Once I have them on the Fromm (Duck a la Veggie not the fishy one) dry for a bit, I may try to intro some wet again

Oops, my mistake. I was focused on the grain-free thing, and the Duck a al Veggie has rice and barley in it (which don't tend to be at the top of the allergy list, but still aren't necessarily appropriate for kitties). Anyway, it's definitely a tough situation you're dealing with, I hope you find a solution!

krdahmer
June 20th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Darnit, I swear that was on my list of no grains at all... well we're giving it a shot anyhow. They seemed to do well with the Medi-cal Duck one for sensitive bellies... so hopefully the Fromm is similar. I'm still waiting for California Naturals to make a duck or lamb food for cats... I love their company and my mom's cats are doing great on that food. The only one without chicken is the herring, and it seemed to bother everybody here. :shrug:

I finally talked to the vet today, and picked up baytril for Fagan to take over the weekend. If it still looks angry he'll be getting his shot monday afternoon.

krdahmer
June 20th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Oh and ancient, the vet did do a skin biopsy way back when this all started which is how we know it's an allergy, just not what exactly the allergen is.

ancientgirl
June 20th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Oh and ancient, the vet did do a skin biopsy way back when this all started which is how we know it's an allergy, just not what exactly the allergen is.

That stinks that they can't even give you an idea what it is.:frustrated:

onster
June 20th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Cant they try to do the skin test they do on humans?? I imagine it is very much the same principal?

krdahmer
June 22nd, 2008, 12:06 AM
My vet said they don't.... so I assumed that they couldn't.:shrug:

rainbow
June 22nd, 2008, 12:37 AM
Poor Fagan :sad: .........it looks so sore. :grouphug:

Have you tried giving him coconut oil?

krdahmer
June 22nd, 2008, 12:48 AM
No not yet Rainbow... do you know how much of that to give them?

rainbow
June 22nd, 2008, 12:57 AM
No not yet Rainbow... do you know how much of that to give them?

I would start with no more than 1/4 teaspoon....

Dosage Instructions for Dogs and Cats:

Solid or liquid coconut oil can be added to food at any meal or given between meals. To liquify gently warm the oil.
Begin with a lower dose of 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon per 10 lbs of body weight.
Gradually increase dosage over a week to 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight daily, or 1 tablespoon per 30 pounds. These are general guidelines, as some dogs need less and others more.
Coconut oil can also be applied topically to cuts, wounds, infected ears, fungal infections, bites and stings .

loopoo
June 23rd, 2008, 04:25 PM
also. coconut oil warmed to room temperature so that its liquidy... can be applied directly on the itchy areas.. not sure about others, but when i apply it to osa, i have been giving it to her internally as well, helps her stop her scratch episodes...

ancientgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 05:53 PM
How is he doing today?

krdahmer
June 23rd, 2008, 07:27 PM
I think he's feeling a bit better now, the shot works almost immediately. He got home from our trip to the vets and napped on his back all four in the air, very comfy. So hopefully that gets us through another few months. :fingerscr

ancientgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 08:23 PM
LOL, I love that paws in the air position.

I'm glad he'll have some relief for the next several months. Hopefully by the time he needs another shot, you will have a few more ideas as to what may be causing his allergy. At least you have time to try some foods that might help him.:fingerscr

14+kitties
June 23rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
I'm glad Fagan's getting a little relief. Poor guy, those areas look so sore. :grouphug: Just makes you want to snuggle him till he's all better. :goodvibes: for some fast healing!!

rainbow
June 24th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Glad to hear Fagan got some relief from the shot. :thumbs up I would still try the coconut oil both internally and externally before it's time for another shot. :o

krdahmer
July 7th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Just thought I'd let you all know that his fur is finally starting to grow back:thumbs up, it took a lot longer this time as his sores were really bad, he still even has just one small red spot by his boobie. His legs look good and some of the fur is coming back, and I am going to look for coconut oil later today. I'd take some pics to show you but hubby took the camera again!:frustrated:

His poor little legs look so skinny with little to no fur on them... :sad::lovestruck: But he seems much more relaxed and is sleeping better without the creepy crawlies.

:pray: it's another few months of relief for the little man! :fingerscr

:thankyou: all again for the advice and support! Fagan appreciates it! :pawprint:

ancientgirl
July 7th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I really home that starting the use of the coconut oil helps him and prevents those break outs in the future.

Here, I found this online. It might be useful to you:

http://www.coconut-connections.com/pets_corner.htm

phoozles
July 7th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Yay - that's great news! :highfive: