Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Vet and I am happy!

Winston
June 19th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Well I procrastinated long enough and finally made he change to another vet. Its actually the vets office I adopted Tabitha and Bomber from!

Today we went for heartworm, vaccinations and a check up! The vet was wonderful..he actually got down on the ground and took a real good look at my boy! Got some kisses from Winston which the vet we were at before would NEVER get down on the ground! I appreciated his honesty and he went through Winstons medical history before we started. Then came the dreaded food question and I told him about the switch to Orijen he was impressed with the quality of the food and the results I have had! He said after all the food types we have tried he was glad it was working..his only concern was Winston being 8 yrs old and it being a high protein? He also said that when he saw Winstons weight he thought he was going to be a fat dog and was pleased that he wasnt! he said he was a sold boy! Winston wieghed in at 109.6 lbs!

Winston was also much more relaxed today than usual at the vets office which I found interesting! So It is a releif to find someone that so far I am happy with! :thumbs up

Cindy

14+kitties
June 19th, 2008, 10:56 AM
:highfive: to you and Winston, Cindy!!! I hope the good feelings keep on coming!
I think some vets are realizing that people have a mind of their own and research the food their animals eat. Especially since the tainted food incedent.

Chris21711
June 19th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I am having the same dilemma right now Winston about changing Vets. Did you ask your old Vet for medical history to pass along to the new Vet? If so what was your old Vet's stance on your changing. :thumbs up that you are happy with your decision.

krdahmer
June 19th, 2008, 11:38 AM
That's great! :thumbs upA good vet is very important for you and the critters!!

phoozles
June 19th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Great news - it's such a relief when you find a good vet who really seems to care :thumbs up

kimnmark
June 19th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I' m happy to hear that a trip to the new vet went well. It certainly seems that he is willing to work with you and open to ideas you have about your pets health.

Winston
June 19th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Chris21711 I really loved the girls that worked at the office and thats what made me stay for as long as I did but I had enough with the vet. When I asked the girls they copied all of the records for me without any cost..and so that the vet would not charge me. As for the old vet she certainly lacked a good bedside manner so to speak and I had mentioned it in the past...so off I went!

Cindy

hazelrunpack
June 19th, 2008, 01:41 PM
That's great, Winston! Always nice to have a vet you can have some faith in! :thumbs up

angeldogs
June 19th, 2008, 02:21 PM
That's great that the new vet is one Winton can be more relaxed with and gets down to him and likes kisses.

So you have 109.6 lbs of healthy loving at home.goos boy Winston

rainbow
June 19th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Glad you found yourself and Winston a great vet. :highfive: I also have one that gets down on the ground with the dogs and they are the best as it makes the dogs feel so much more at ease. :thumbs up

Then came the dreaded food question and I told him about the switch to Orijen he was impressed with the quality of the food and the results I have had! He said after all the food types we have tried he was glad it was working..his only concern was Winston being 8 yrs old and it being a high protein?

This is what Mary Straus from dogaware.com (she also writes for The Whole Dog Journal) has to say about senior dogs and high protein diets....

http://www.dogaware.com/seniordiets.html

ancientgirl
June 19th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I'm glad you found a vet you are really comfortable with. I've heard some real horror stories. Your vet sounds great. My vet also gets really personal and close to my gang and I think that's really important.

Frenchy
June 19th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Good for you Winston :thumbs up

I was thinking about switching too , the meds cost at my vet is much too expensive. I went to another one this week (saw her a few times before) didn't like her. Went back to my vet yesterday , and I have a new appreciation for him :shrug:

Chris21711
June 20th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Chris21711 I really loved the girls that worked at the office and thats what made me stay for as long as I did but I had enough with the vet. When I asked the girls they copied all of the records for me without any cost..and so that the vet would not charge me. As for the old vet she certainly lacked a good bedside manner so to speak and I had mentioned it in the past...so off I went!

Cindy

I like my Vet as a person, but it's the whole set up now that has turned me off. Also her prices for some things maybe in line with other Vets, but when I have to pay double for the same procedure than I did the year before, It miffs me. She also gave me 10% discount for multiple pets, that's vanished :shrug:

Glad you found yourself and Winston a great vet. :highfive: I also have one that gets down on the ground with the dogs and they are the best as it makes the dogs feel so much more at ease. :thumbs up

This is what Mary Straus from dogaware.com (she also writes for The Whole Dog Journal) has to say about senior dogs and high protein diets....

http://www.dogaware.com/seniordiets.html

Rainbow, Rainbow something else now for me to think about. I thought I was doing right by not too much protein :wall: