Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question for those who feed Kirkland dog food

Frenchy
June 18th, 2008, 09:01 PM
The lamb and rice formula . Do any of you have dogs with poop issues ? Like soft poop and sometimes diarhea ? I still don't know if it's the case here .... but I know it's not worms because they got tested 4 times for it.

Frenchy
June 19th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Anyone ? :sad:

clm
June 19th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Sorry Frenchy. My guys sometimes get the regular kirkland mixed in with their kibble. Not the lamb and rice. I've never had an issue with the regular stuff though.

Cindy

Frenchy
June 19th, 2008, 11:57 AM
And the regular stuff is chicken hey ? I would try it if Bailey wasn't allergic to it ...

clm
June 19th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Yep, the regular stuff is chicken. Is there anything else that you're giving him that might be the cause of his problems?

Cindy

Rottielover
June 19th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Both dogs are on the chicken formula, and are doing great on it, better than any other food I have tred with mr sensitive :)

mastifflover
June 19th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I tried the lamb once and I found that Bud did not do as well digesting it as the chicken. My vet told me lamb is harder to digest.

Frenchy
June 19th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Well then I'll try the chicken formula. Bailey is already on Vanectyl so I won't know if he still has chicken allergies before October/November. We'll see when we get there ....

The chicken formula , hope there's not any corn in this ? Like the lamb one.

clm
June 19th, 2008, 09:51 PM
It does't have corn in it. I hope he can eat it without having his allergies kick up. My dogs like it.

Cindy

Sabine
June 20th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Hi there,

since all dogs who are fed a kibble diet are not able to produce enough digestive enzymes, it sometimes is adviced to add some digestive enzymes to their food in order to make it more digestable. (i.e. ProZyme, FastTrac....etc.) You may want to try that or change over to a more high quality kibble. :dog:

LavenderRott
June 20th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Frenchy, how frequently does your dog have soft stools or diarhea?

My Reni eats the lamb and rice and we have the same problem. It is not a daily thing - we just had a stretch of about 2 weeks with nice firm stools but yesterday we were back to the really smelly pudding.

Since he was being fed Kirkland's lamb and rice by his breeder and there was no mention of this issue, I assumed that he had a sensitive stomach and have been extremely careful about what he eats and keep a bottle of little pink pills handy for those stinky days.

I have about a two weeks supply of food left and think that I will get a bag of the chicken next time and see if that solves the problem. Oh, that would be sooooo wonderful!

Frenchy
June 20th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I have about a two weeks supply of food left and think that I will get a bag of the chicken next time and see if that solves the problem. Oh, that would be sooooo wonderful!

Well I will keep you posted because I bought a chicken bag tonight. I wanted to switch them cold turkey , they already have soft poop anyway :shrug: and when I get fosters from the shelters they do the switch this way and I never had any problems .... I can't really tell you how many times and how long it lasts. Because sometimes it's one dog after another , sometimes it's all at the same time.... I thought it was the grass they eat , then I thought it was my water (from the well) so I bought 2 filtration systems !!!! No change , so now I'm praying it's the food.

14+kitties
June 20th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Sam and Keesha both eat the chicken/rice/vegetable one Frenchy and they never have runny poos. :fingerscr Actually, you were the one who told me about the Kirklands and the Costco I go to doesn't have the lamb one.

Frenchy
June 20th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Sam and Keesha both eat the chicken/rice/vegetable one Frenchy and they never have runny poos. :fingerscr

You guys are giving me hope :laughing: last year it cost me about $300-$400 of poop test , vet gastro food and metrozanidole :wall: for the problems to come back right after.

LavenderRott
June 28th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Frenchy - do you have an update?

I am on my way to Costco to pick up dog food in a couple of hours and was curious as to whether or not the new food was helping.

Frenchy
June 28th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I'm still mixing both of them and already saw a BIG difference. :thumbs up Will go with the chicken from now on.

LavenderRott
June 28th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I am just about completely out of the lamb so will be switching pretty much cold turkey. But, as you said above, he already has the runs.

The pom should do fine. He seems to have an iron stomach.

Thank you for sharing this. I have been dealing with this for a year and I really can't tell you how disgusting the mess has been on occassion. I certainly hope that this will solve this problem.

rainbow
June 28th, 2008, 12:47 PM
WOO HOO.....glad to hear that the change in diet is helping with the poop problems. :thumbs up

clm
June 28th, 2008, 10:37 PM
That's great news. At least you can still get the good deal at Costco now.
I was at costco yesterday and they didn't have the cat food, so I also forgot to pick up the dog food. :wall:

Cindy

14+kitties
June 28th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Glad to hear the chicken food is helping the poop issues! I am out of food too. Guess where I have to go. :D

erykah1310
June 29th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Meiko has been eating the lamb and rice formula for close to a year now ( mr. doesnt digest things properly) and no problems at all the whole time.
However, If Kita eats some (which she does from time to time just because shes a theif) its progectile out of both ends. (she is like this any time she eats anything lamb though)
B has eaten the L&R too with no problems.
I think it depends on the dog honestly

LavenderRott
June 29th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Meiko has been eating the lamb and rice formula for close to a year now ( mr. doesnt digest things properly) and no problems at all the whole time.
However, If Kita eats some (which she does from time to time just because shes a theif) its progectile out of both ends. (she is like this any time she eats anything lamb though)
B has eaten the L&R too with no problems.
I think it depends on the dog honestly

I am very sure that it depends on the dog. My pom can eat any food I put in his dish with absolutely no issues what so ever. My Chase was the same way.

Having said that, if there is a possiblity that a simple food change will eliminate the concern that I have every time I leave Reni home in his crate for more then an hour - I am all for it!

Frenchy
June 29th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Having said that, if there is a possiblity that a simple food change will eliminate the concern that I have every time I leave Reni home in his crate for more then an hour - I am all for it!

:fingerscr that it works , I'm switching them 100% today , didn't want to waste the rest of the lamb and rice but I will give it to a coworker that feeds it. :shrug: