Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

For those of you with multiple pets.

katherine93
June 18th, 2008, 04:18 PM
HI there guys.. This have been going through my mind for a long time now, and im wondering if it is normal. Even though i love ALL of the animals residing in my household, i really do favor casey over them all. I feel horrible for it, ive been trying not to think about it to much so it doesnt drive me insane. I feel SOOOOO guilty. I mean, she is the first dog that 'belongs' to ME. And i walk her more than the matrix. And i barely walk any of the other 8(well cant walk Jazz yet anyways.). And, you may notice that i talk about her more than the others. I cant help it, she is my favorite. I would die for all of my animals but casey has a very very very very special place in my heart, but the others only have a very special palce in my heart:shrug:..Am i even making any sense now? lol...

chico2
June 18th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Katherine,I think we all have our one creature that is the closest to us,it's ok,as long as you remember the others too need attention and love.
My Rocky(cat) is kind of my soulmate,although he's caused a lot of problems,he is my shadow,the cat who cries with concern(I think) if I cough just a little,he is funny,he is weird and he's all mine,my husbands nemesis:laughing:
But of course,I get that warm fuzzy feeling with all of them:lovestruck:

thekatzmeow
June 18th, 2008, 05:33 PM
:shrug: I'm not sure that this really counts at this stage of the game (I've had my cat for 1 year and my kitten all of 2 days!!) But, I've been projecting into the future and thinking that I don't think I'll ever love the kitten as much as I love Jackson (the 1-year-old) -- whom I adore. I know it is very, very early to be saying this; but it's a thought that's crossed my mind in deciding whether or not I am going to keep this rescue kitten. I have been feeling REAL guilty of that and am glad it is not uncommon. Don't worry, readers, I am giving tender love and individual attention to both the new addition and to Jackson. I am just not sure (due to a health issue I am just getting over and the fact that I only have a 1-bedroom apartment that I am renting) whether or not I am up to the work of new kitten. (Please don't judge me on that. At this point he has gotten bathed thoroughly, is rid of his fleas, and has eaten substantially -- so he is much better than where he started from.) However, I must admit: He is quickly growing on me with each hour that passes by. Thankfully, I am home all of the time for right now....so he (& Jackson) are not longing for attention. At any rate -- thank you for relieving my guilt! I'll keep you posted! :cat:

Jim Hall
June 18th, 2008, 06:17 PM
oh for sure i love DU more than my new kit amanda and always will
manda is a wonderfull girl but DU will always have a special place in my heart

The same goes for my departed Lab, Stoner He will always be my favorite
dog

ancientgirl
June 18th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I have moments when there is one I favor more than the others. Some days it's Vlad, others it's Oksana, or Maks or Kiska. These last few days my heart has belonged to Oksana, last week it was Maks.

thekatzmeow, Vlad was my first little guy. I brought Oksana home to keep him company, and I thought that no way would I ever love her as much as Vlad. About a month after she'd been with us, I had a friend over and she told me how much she liked Vlad better than Oksana. I looked at my little girl and had an epiphany. I realized I loved her just as much as Vlad. I couldn't imagine my life without her. I found myself wishing my friend knew Oksana like I did.

There are certain things they each do that pulls at my heart.

onster
June 18th, 2008, 07:08 PM
This will sound horrible but my favourite has to be Bunduk although we had Onnie first...makes me feel so bad :sad: Bunduk and I just have this bond..I think it may have stemmed from the fact that he was living in my room with me for the first 2 weeks we had him ( complete with his litter box :yuck:)

But then again I know Im not Onnie's favourite - he really loves my mom and brothers.:shrug:

BusterBoo
June 18th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I think there is definitely a bond with one particular pet....for me it was Harley :rip: He has been gone almost a year now and I am just now starting to love Buster as much as I did Harley. (sorry Buster....) I have even called Buster "dude" a couple of times and then caught myself....

:cry:

katherine93
June 18th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the reasurring stories guys! Means alot to me.. I still feel so guilty though, because Matrix loves me so much, he whines when i leave the house, and mom tells me he seems really sad until i come home, than he greats me at the door before anybody else. I know for a fact that he would be lost without me, and thats what is making me feel guilty. I love him to bits, and im sure he knows that. Do you think he can sense that i favor casey? I sure hope he doesnt:sad: Honestly hes more of a sook for me than casey(and casey is a HUGE sook for me so thats sayin' something!), So in my mind im wondering why he isnt the one i favor? I just dont understand.

katherine93
June 18th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I think there is definitely a bond with one particular pet....for me it was Harley :rip: He has been gone almost a year now and I am just now starting to love Buster as much as I did Harley. (sorry Buster....) I have even called Buster "dude" a couple of times and then caught myself....

:cry:

So sorry for your loss BusterBoo.. :candle:Harley... Its hard getting another pet after you've lost one because you feel as if you could never love them as much, and also there may be a slight feeling that your trying to replace a friend that is irreplacable.

BusterBoo
June 18th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Actually, I got Buster when Harley was about 3 yrs old.....and they had a year together...but Harley was my "dude" and always will be. However, Buster is becoming my "boo" very quickly and is turning into such a good dog!

Frenchy
June 18th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I don't see anything wrong about having a favorite. I don't , they are all #1 in my heart but for different reasons :shrug: If someone would tell me I could only keep one , I wouldn't be able to choose. But that's me :D

clm
June 18th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I don't see anything wrong with having a favorite either, although I can honestly say I don't have a favorite amongst mine. I have some favorite things that each cat and dog does, some annoying things that each one does too, but I don't favour any of them. Even when it comes to my inside and outside fish, no favorties.

Cindy

CyberKitten
June 18th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I can honestly say I love them all equally but my YY- my Yin Yin (aka Quan Yin - her actual name since she was a show cat) is my little sweetheart. We have a special bond and we both know it. She sleeps closest to me tho I never neglect the others who all get turns to sleep close to mama but YY ever since I first brought her home at 12 weeks will place her paw on my face as if to say good morning. And she almost panics if I am not around. She is the alpha kitty - amazingly sice the Sphynx Girls are siblings and Beau is the male of the home and has a special place in all our hearts (feline and human.) YY senses things- she knows what kids need her more(she like Casey works as a therapy cat) and she knows when I am under the weather too. She is just so remarkable.

That said though, they all get the same amt of my time and energy and love. It is just that she is my sweetheart and she knows it yet does not take advantage of it. If anything, she uses it to help the others. She absolutely KNEW when the S Girls lost their mama and came to live with us- she was so good to them. she would bring them her toys as if to say 'Play, it'll help", those kind of tings. I know I am anthropomorphizing her by saying that but as God is ,my witness- to quote Scarlett, lol - I swear she thinks like that!

The Sphynx Girls are special in their own way and love to curl around my neck or climb ion me and so my new husband has to learn to sleep with a wife and four cats, lol It is taking him some adjustment, lol

Interesting topic and speaking of which, it is after midnight so I better get to bed!! :D

chico2
June 19th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Frenchy and clm,you said it right,we love them all,all their different personalitys and quirks.
Never ever,could I choose one over the other and I hope I never have too.
Rocky is however mamas boy,attacks and all:cat:

Love4himies
June 19th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I understand how you feel, katherine93, I love all my cats and they bring me joy and make my heart "pitter patter" when I see them, but Snowball was my special soulmate. He read my mind and was there for me when I was upset, and was so loyal. Even after 3 years I miss him horribly :sad:.

TacoGrl
June 19th, 2008, 10:52 AM
When I had my Jaeger :rip: , she was my Boo...gosh I loved her. I adopted Mooki a few years before I had to put Jag down and I thought I would NEVER love her the same. Jag was not the nicest to Mooki and Mooki had many "issues" because of it...some of the things made me want to take her back to the SPCA and wash my hands of her. I didn't though...I kept her and worked thorugh the "issues" and now I have a new little buddy whom I love very much :goodvibes:

Now to say if I had a favorite? I love them both just as much, but for different reasons. I am very glad I have had the opprtunity to love both of them.

Lise
June 19th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I love all of our gang.The most special dog I ever was lucky enough to share my life with was Gypsy,who passed away a few years ago.Nell is very close to her in temperament and we share a really special bond.Molly and Tess are more family dogs ,they follow the kids around and play with them.The cats love my oldest daughter and spend most of their lives asleep in her bed!!The horses I would have to say Arabesque is the one closest to although Jack is a really close second.A lot of the animals we have here have very strong attachments to eachother,so their friends are more important than we are.Although we haul their water,serve food and clean up after them,we do the work they kind of goof off most of the time.

Joeyjoejoe
June 19th, 2008, 02:22 PM
She sleeps closest to me tho I never neglect the others who all get turns to sleep close to mama but YY ever since I first brought her home at 12 weeks will place her paw on my face as if to say good morning.

Mine does that too! :D But not so much out of love... more because I'm snoring! :laughing: