Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I am going outside says Maggie the cat

Maggieandme
June 18th, 2008, 12:22 PM
We have been having a terrible time with our Maggie. She came to us late last summer after living rough since birth. She had a hysterectomy and seemed to settle in for the winter. Since spring however, her desire to be outside has overwhelmed us all. She has even learned to free the screens from the window frames to make her escape. Every door opening is seen as an opportunity. Plowing thru the company, no problem. We take her outside often and are always available to play. I am afraid this will be an ongoing issue for us. Laurie and Maggie

kiara
June 18th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Any cat that has lived outside becomes used to it and it cannot be stopped. Let her have it her way as long as she is not able to have kittens. Does she come in for the night? Perhaps you could shake a plastic container with dry food and teach her to come in this way? Always ask other cat owners and get ideas. We used to have a cat that liked to go outside and we lived in the middle of the city. She survived out there and would take on any male, she really was street wise. We bought her as a tiny kitten in a pet shop, so she never lived outside before. Even though there were many dangers out there, fresh air and exercise gave her a very long life. She lived for 21 years and losing her was very painful. Because of her my children became huge animal lovers and we have 8 cats in our family.

Maggieandme
June 18th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks Kiara for your thoughts. We live on an acreage on the outskirts of a small village. Our property is teeming with wildlife, especially birds of prey. As much as I would like to accommodate her wishes it would not be in her best interest to do so. Try explaining that to a cat. Laurie

ancientgirl
June 18th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Is there any way you can make an outside enclosure for her? I've seen some that are connected to houses and have cat doors that allow the cats to go in and out when they want to. It enables them to go in and out and enjoy the outdoors safely.

I also used to have a screen that I would have in front of my door in my hallway. My cats have always been indoor cats, but now and then they get curious and I was afraid they might get past me. I had the screen up for a long time. It enabled me to get through the door and block them. Once inside I would just close the door and go inside. Now that I'm using the screen to keep my new kitty in the kitchen, the others don't try to get past me anymore when I come home.

I agree letting her out isn't safe. If you live where there are wild life and birds of prey near your home.

phoozles
June 18th, 2008, 03:36 PM
When she gets squirrelly to get outside, can you distract her by playing with her for awhile? You might just have to be patient with this one - when I converted my Jake from an outdoor to an indoor there was a lot of whining, door scratching and quick darts out the door, but now he's pretty good about staying inside. When I walk in the door I gently nudge him with my feet and say "Get back" and he always does. It's just going to take some time.