Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I want out!! says manda the kitty

Jim Hall
June 18th, 2008, 10:00 AM
my new kitty amanda who was kicked out of a house and lived on the streets for a while wants to go out so bad

any suggestions on how to stop that ?

she has been bouncing around for 2 hrs now

Winston
June 18th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Hey Jim maybe distract her by playing with her and DU? it will take some time for her to get used to this but she will adapt...Mine have never been outside and once when they ran out the door they stopped dead in their tracks and went back inside...guess they new they had it made! :laughing: maybe she can smell another cat outside? She has been spayed already right?

Cindy

Love4himies
June 18th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Are you able to take her out for walks on a leash? Maybe that would satisfy her. If not, how about distracting her with some playtime when she asks to go out?

If you post more pictures of Amanda it may help me think of other ideas:p

Jim Hall
June 18th, 2008, 10:52 AM
yeah she was spayed 2 weeks ago and she is great on a leash i think u have to take her out like a dog lol on a regukar schedule

if i takr her to a place i know that is pretty full of weeds and such i guess i have to watch for ticks and fleas if i make sure she doesnt eat anything out there i guess worms wont happen

Chris21711
June 18th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Tell her nope, nope, nope, DU doesn't go out and she can't either, explain it to her Jim. :) By the way more pics of DU and Amanda :D

jealma
June 18th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I just finished cat watching for some people, and they would tie their cat out on a leash. The cat seemed to like being outside very much, but most of her time was spent laying in the grass or hiding under the corner of the boathouse watching any activity in the yard. She had a long leash, but not tied in an area where there was not much to get tangled in. They also used a harness,, NOT A LEASH, and we would check on her frequently to make sure she was safe. Just thinking a tied area might be better than trying to walk her,, It just a guess, but from what I"ve known of cats, walking them isn't the easiest thing to do :-)

Jim Hall
June 18th, 2008, 11:10 AM
well yoi dont walk them really you sort of let them wander around she enjopys that and we have a garden out back

i agree if you leave a cat tethered you cannot use a leash and collar you must use a harness

as far as keepimg her always inside i dont like that i would rather have to use prohylactics for du and manda to prevent any parasites she may get

sugarcatmom
June 18th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I would be very very cautious about tethering a cat outside. They can't escape if a dog or other predator happens to spot them. There was a neighbor that used to tie their cat out and it was mauled by a dog.

want4rain
June 18th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Tell her nope, nope, nope, DU doesn't go out and she can't either, explain it to her Jim. :) By the way more pics of DU and Amanda :D

no kidding... i thought there woudl be a picture in here!!!

-ash

Jim Hall
June 18th, 2008, 11:38 AM
yeah im not a big fan of tehering unless i can keep an eye on things

im still thinking the walk outside on a sched is good

i will have pics as soon as i get some rechargeble batteries for the camera