Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Smelly Doggies!!

meg1287
June 17th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I know this may sound very weird but I have two dogs and they smell all the time. Do you think its because of the food they eat? I give them a bath once a week but it doesnt help. Any info for a curious dog owner???

By the way, whats the best dog tooth brush out there. My family never brushed our dogs teeth but now that I have dogs my friends recommend it. Thanks.

Chaser
June 18th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I have personally found that feeding a premium food reduces doggie smell. Brushing teeth also helps a lot! I use a soft rubber toothbrush that fits over my finger and some doggie enzymatic toothpaste. I don't remember what brand name the toothbrush is...

I would stay away from bathing your dogs quite so often though. It's my understanding that it reduces the natural oils in their coat and can lead to itches and sensitive skin.

Hope this helps! If they still continue to stink (beyond the normal and expected odour any dog has) I would mention it to your vet, just in case there are any tooth or tummy concerns.

Chaser
June 18th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Just noticed from your profile that your youngest pup is 4 months...teething can also contribute to stinky breath and should improve with time. Good call on the tooth brushing though - it is easier to get them used to it when they're young! :)

jessi76
June 18th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I give them a bath once a week but it doesnt help. Any info for a curious dog owner???

ditto to what Chase_mom said.... bathing once a week can really dry out a dog's skin/coat. what type of dogs?

jealma
June 18th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I do think it depends on the breed. I have a shih tzu and I"m told to bath her every two weeks, but I have a feeling that would be way to often for your shorter haired breeds?

meg1287
June 18th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I appreciate the replys. Another concern I have is really nothing but maybe has to do with the smell. the bigger dog Zelda (1year 5 months) licks Mina's ( now 6months ) ears. we ask a family friend and she told us that there was no infection. Maybe they love each other so much they do that and then they smell?? I don't know. Any advice???

jessi76
June 18th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I have a basenji-mix... virtually no doggy odor at all. unless your family friend is a licensed vet, I wouldn't take her opinion as 100% fact. there very well could be something going on in the ear. You still haven't said what type of dogs you have.. which would help ALOT. some breeds are more prone to ear issues (i.e. yeast) than others. btw, I give my dog a bath about 2-3 times a YEAR.

jealma
June 18th, 2008, 01:14 PM
No vet here, but I'd be thinking there is a high chance there is something up with the ears, since the one dog goes for it all the time. Someone I know has poddles and when the one had an eye infection, she had one poodle that was always licking at the other ones eye;

kimnmark
June 18th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I agree with the others, have your vet take a look at his ears.

Our little spaniel licked our golden's ears from the day he came into the house. We had him checked at the vet for ear infections several times with negative results. We just let the licking continue as it did not seem to bother him.
Within 6 months of our spaniel dying our golden began getting ear infections that he still gets to this day, every spring & every fall. :shrug: We now know it is seasonal allergies but we can't figure out why the spaniel could manage to keep his ears from getting infections & we can't no matter how hard we try.