Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advised needed

lotus
June 17th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I do need some advise. First off here is some of her history:
Sugar is a terrier mix I got from the HS last week, she was a mill rescue. Sugar is blind in her right eye, she is very shy does not like to be pet but will tolerate it for a bit she runs when you walk by. Sugar has trained very well so far only 3 accidents in the house (what a sweetheart). Sugar was very ill when the HS took her from the puppy mill. I have to put drops in her right eye daily, she hates this. My questions are will she always be afraid or will she stay this way because of the eye drops? I'm just afraid cause each time I put her drops in she gets scared of everything again. She will jump up and lay on the couch beside me but if I move becomes startled and quivers.
She has come leaps and bounds from a week ago when all she did was hide. She plays with my other dog Peanut and at times will jump up on my lap if Peanut is there too. Any advise is welcome.

TeriM
June 17th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Sounds like your new addition has had a very traumatic life so far :sad:. Several members have had puppy mill rescues and will be by later to give you some advice. She just needs some time to relax and bond with you. She will definately forgive you for the eye drops. The great thing about dogs is that they rarely hold grudges and "live in the now" :cloud9:. You could experiment to see if approaching petting her from a different angle is more comfortable for her, perhaps she doesn't see you hand coming so it startles her. Congrats for taking her in, she sounds luck to have you. Just give her time and patience and she will definately reward you with her devotion in the weeks to come.

lotus
June 17th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Sounds like your new addition has had a very traumatic life so far :sad:. Several members have had puppy mill rescues and will be by later to give you some advice. She just needs some time to relax and bond with you. She will definately forgive you for the eye drops. The great thing about dogs is that they rarely hold grudges and "live in the now" :cloud9:. You could experiment to see if approaching petting her from a different angle is more comfortable for her, perhaps she doesn't see you hand coming so it startles her. Congrats for taking her in, she sounds luck to have you. Just give her time and patience and she will definately reward you with her devotion in the weeks to come.
Thanks I look forward to hearing from them. I want to give this little girl everything she should have had from the start of her life. They said she is about 3 years old my vet said do to malnutrition it is possible she is younger it don't matter to me she is safe now. I wish I could have gotten the other one that was with her (he is also blind in one eye) but three dogs would be too much for me, plus it would be hard to give two all the extras they need or should have had from the start. I check every day to see if he got his new life yet.

TacoGrl
June 17th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Rescued animals have very different issues...it will take time for your pup to feel safe around you...it took my Mooki almost two years for me to be able to pick her up! She was a rescue who lived on the streets and before that was abused by her former owner...now, she is the cutest and gets babied ALL THE WAY!!!

kimnmark
June 17th, 2008, 07:06 PM
It sounds like Sugar has found a wonderful home with you. :dog:

I agree with the others, it's normal that it takes a little (or a lot) of time before she gets to know human contact is a good thing. But don't give up on her, my first dog took almost 2 years.

As for the startling due to her blindness I don't have any advice, as my only experience is with deaf dogs.

lotus
June 17th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks, I know it will take a long time before she truly trusts anyone. I'm really starting to think my vet is right about her age ,unless Peanut is helping with her adjustment we just spent 20 min. playing fetch with her and Peanut both taking turns bring the toy back. She is just an awesome learner.

hazelrunpack
June 17th, 2008, 09:03 PM
It sounds like she's enjoying having something to learn--a smart girl, that one. :thumbs up Given that she's so willing to learn new things, I'm betting all my doggie biscuits that she'll come around in time.

Our Macie came from a neglectful setting and was extremely shy around humans when she first arrived. Now she's the first one to greet people at the gate (if anything, now she's too trusting cuz she never barks when they approach the fence :rolleyes:).

We had to treat Macie for demodectic mange when we first got her and I was afraid she'd always remember how much she hated having us apply the ointment. But Teri is right--they forgive very readily. :D

Just go slow and easy with her and let her come around at her own pace.

Frenchy
June 17th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Just go slow and easy with her and let her come around at her own pace.

Depends on the dogs , but it does take time. I fostered 3 puppy mill dogs, the third one , Nelly is almost mine now (too long to explain) has been here for 1 1/2 year. She still gets scared of me when I walk in with boxes in my hands , or an umbrella .... but other than that , she's doing good. I still get updates from Wendy's new family , it took her about a year to fully trust her new family and play like a normal dog.

Don't worry , she will come around with love and patience.

lotus
June 18th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Thank you everyone I will give her all the time she needs and all the love and attention she wants.
I have searched the net and read ,read and read some more to make sure I give here all she needs.
The conditions she came from were horrific. She was removed in April,(I adopted her fist week of June) the same person was then raided again this month.:mad: Makes me sick to think about her past. Not to mention the animal welfare laws are so bad he will get a slap on the hand and start over again. This type of operations have to be stopped. If the laws were harsher then they wouldn't try again. My friends and I refuse to even buy toys for our pets at stores that sell puppies and urge other people to do the same.

PS on a brighter note :)I will try to post pics of my babies later today.:dog:

lotus
June 18th, 2008, 08:24 AM
As promised
Sugar
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/lotus02/Dogs004.jpg
Peanut
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/lotus02/Dogs010.jpg
Friends
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/lotus02/Dogs012.jpg

ancientgirl
June 18th, 2008, 09:49 AM
You're an angel for taking this little cutie in and giving her a loving home, with a friend too!

She'll come around. Once she realizes she's in a safe place with love it will be like she was there from the start.

Sylvie
June 18th, 2008, 10:03 AM
:thumbs up to you for taking the little:angel2:into your home. She is very lucky to have at last ended up in a loving home. It will take a lot of patience but it will pay off in the end.

Our Shadow was thrown out on a country road (the infinite wisdom of jerks).:rolleyes:

She was very afraid of people, to make a long story short that was over 10 years ago. Now she sucks up to people and they do not believe that she was terrified of them. It looks like your girl will make it with the help of your other dog. Good luck and keep us posted

growler~GateKeeper
June 18th, 2008, 10:53 PM
You could experiment to see if approaching petting her from a different angle is more comfortable for her, perhaps she doesn't see you hand coming so it startles her.

Teri has some great advice here:thumbs up Try to approach/walk past her on her left side so she sees you coming in her periphiral vison first, rather than you "appearing" infront of her from the right side where she can't see you coming.

She'll come along @ her own pace & with the help of Peanut :dog: