Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

For my dog Ricky

cjim786
June 17th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Hi All,

I am new on this forum.I live in the US and have a 13 year old female spitz dog.She was sterlised when she was 8 years old in India.She moved to the US around 16 months back.Of late we have noticed that she has trouble walking and has stiff joints esp. her legs.She has put on a lot of weight .We suspect that she has arthritis though we have no taken her to the vet in a long time now.The reason being she hates other people handling her and her b.p shoots up when she goes to the vet.To keeo her calm and peaceful ,we do not want to take her to the vet at all.She has good appetite and her other bodily fuctions are all working fine.Please advice us what to do and what medications to be given to her.I do not want medical intervention as of now.

Thanks

katherine93
June 17th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Sorry i have no help for you, but may i suggest posting this in the pet health forum, you will probably get more replies that way.

BTW- Wlecome to pets.ca:thumbs up You will meet alot of great and animal loving people here! Hope your doggie will be okay!

hazelrunpack
June 17th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Welcome to the forum, cjim.

If you're sure it's just arthritis, there are two things you should consider:

One is to get her weight down--excess weight is really hard on joints. If you can find a place for her to swim, it would be an excellent exercise for her--easy on the joints.

The other thing would be to start glucosamine/chondroitin supplements with her. It helps to keep the cartilage healthy in the joints. We've seen remarkable improvements in joint mobility in some of our dogs when we've used the supplements.

Other than that, there's not much you'll be able to do for her without a vet's help. :shrug:

Do you vaccinate her yourself?

When you get a chance, we'd love to see pics of your old girl! :D