Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

More little Ethels

phoozles
June 17th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Here's bird's eye view of Ethel and Igby
Ethel is like kitten mountain!
Ethel looks tired here, but she's really just squinting because of the flash - she has really big, expressive eyes, but the camera won't show them.

phoozles
June 17th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Here's some pics of Cappy - he's figured out how to get up on the window sill - which is pretty impressive because it's pretty high up!

more on the way..

phoozles
June 17th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Here's some of Igby - he also figured out how to get up on the window sill.. He was probably the first one to do it - he's a smart and adventurous kitty!

CC on the way..

phoozles
June 17th, 2008, 09:15 AM
CC is not currently a fan of my work. She hisses at me and goes out of her way to walk on the other side of the room from me. She hangs out under this metal brown thing we have.. So I decided to play with the other two and a blue spring right by there.. and so she slowly came out - and I caught it..

Her eyes don't look very blue in these pictures - they are a grey/blue and I blame the :censored: but necessary flash for that..

Love4himies
June 17th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Kittens are amazing jumpers and are so determined!! Poor CC, just a little shy, but will come out of her shell soon when she realizes that human patting feels soooo good.:cloud9:

ancientgirl
June 17th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Awwww, Cappy reminds me of Vlad when he was that little. :cloud9: Igby and CC are adorable. :laughing: CC is shooting daggers at you.

Ethel does look tired, but hopefully she's at least getting some rest since she knows she and her little ones are safe.

krdahmer
June 17th, 2008, 10:50 AM
:lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck:

phoozles
June 17th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I've found that CC will typically only come near me on her own if she has no choice - that is, if the food dish is right by me.. and once she starts eating, she goes into a zone - which is why it's the only time I can pick her up.. However, if her littermates are playing with me she comes closer than usual (as in these pics).. or if the three are sleeping (still need a pic of that) she won't move if I sit near them.. I can even pet her while she's asleep :rolleyes: I'm hoping I can get her to warm up by next Saturday - that's when she needs her next dose of dewormer!

ancientgirl
June 17th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Maybe her seeing the others around you will bring her out of her shell with you a bit.

I know right now my girl isn't one bit happy with me because of the eye drops and prozac application.

Maybe CC is one of those aloof kitties.:shrug:

phoozles
June 17th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Yeah, she's just a little skittish - I feel for you having to give Czarina all that medicine - once her dosage is done, she'll be a bit more comfortable :fingerscr

I just sent a group email to people at my work with pics of the kittens - hopefully at least one will melt their hearts - it'll be so hard to give them up, but we really can't keep all of them :sad:

ancientgirl
June 17th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I wish you luck on getting some of your co-workers interested. Can you maybe post a flyer at your vets office? My vets office has a board so that people can do things like that. You would think if someone sees a post for kittens at a vets office it's because they care enough for their own pets to take them in for vet care, so maybe you might have some luck.

I really hope you find them all good homes. It's too bad you can't keep them all though, but I know that would be hard.

Frenchy
June 17th, 2008, 11:48 AM
ahhh they're all too cute phoozles ! :lovestruck:

katherine93
June 17th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Absolutely wondeful kitties:lovestruck::cloud9: Are you going to keep Ethel? (Id adopt the black one if i lived closer to you!)

phoozles
June 17th, 2008, 12:14 PM
That's a good idea ancient :thumbs up

Hey Frenchy, cute enough to adopt? ;)

Katherine yep, I'm going to keep sweet Ethel.. I'd love to at least keep Igby as well, but I think I'm pushing my luck with future Mr. phoozles as it is :D

kimnmark
June 17th, 2008, 12:25 PM
They are too cute! :lovestruck::lovestruck:
I'm always amazed at the places kittens (and cats) can get to. It's too cool to see them jump high from a complete standstill.
I'm sure little CC will warm up to you soon just like the others. You are their :angel:
Ethel is so luck to have you take her in, kudos for keeping her. I'm glad Mr. Phoozles came around:)

loopoo
June 17th, 2008, 01:24 PM
they are all soo sweet:lovestruck: i am sure cc will come around after a bit of time, and seeing how all the other kitties interact with you

TeriM
June 17th, 2008, 03:46 PM
They are adorable :lovestruck:. I would definately check with your vet to have them put the word out for you. My vet often takes litters in and adopts them out :thumbs up.

Stacer
June 17th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Aww more sweet pics. They're so adorable.

Frenchy
June 17th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Hey Frenchy, cute enough to adopt? ;)

:laughing: Give me a few more months :laughing: (I do love little Cappy :p)

growler~GateKeeper
June 17th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Adorable little kittens :lovestruck:

Cappy :lovestruck: & Igby :cloud9: smart little ones checking out the world from the safety of the inside of the window

CC will take her sweet time coming around but eventually she will :thumbs up

:fingerscr hopefully someone will take 2 together :goodvibes:

14+kitties
June 18th, 2008, 06:25 AM
:cloud9::cloud9::lovestruck::lovestruck::cloud9::c loud9:

Such cute little beggars! I love CC and Igby. There's enough others who love Cappy. :rolleyes: He's cute too! Isn't it amazing to see them getting up in windows and any other high spot they can? They are so tiny but always inquisitive.

Isn't it fun trying to adopt kitties out? I refuse to do a free ad in the paper. The vets' office is aware I have kitties to rehome. I also spread the word with my customers. No luck. There are just too many kitties around. :sad: :shrug:

Oh, and Ethel!! She is a very good momma!!

phoozles
June 18th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Well, I got no responses from my office, but someone suggested sending it to a related station, so I did so, and got an answer from someone who can't take one, but will ask around (which is more than my station did).. :fingerscr

phoozles
June 18th, 2008, 12:44 PM
:cloud9::cloud9::lovestruck::lovestruck::cloud9::c loud9:

Such cute little beggars! I love CC and Igby. There's enough others who love Cappy. :rolleyes: He's cute too! Isn't it amazing to see them getting up in windows and any other high spot they can? They are so tiny but always inquisitive.

Isn't it fun trying to adopt kitties out? I refuse to do a free ad in the paper. The vets' office is aware I have kitties to rehome. I also spread the word with my customers. No luck. There are just too many kitties around. :sad: :shrug:

Oh, and Ethel!! She is a very good momma!!

I refuse to use the free ads too - no clue what those people will do with a sweet kitten! I'll keep trying to spread the word..

And thanks for showing some love to Igby and CC - they're all adorable, in my books - although I have a soft spot for Igby, because he's such a character :cloud9:

mollywog
June 18th, 2008, 12:54 PM
ADORABLE!!! :cloud9:
maybe it's time to convince my hubby to get a cat.... he's not much of a cat person but once you see little faces like that, it's hard to say no!
Too bad we didn't live closer :sad:

phoozles
June 18th, 2008, 02:02 PM
ADORABLE!!! :cloud9:
maybe it's time to convince my hubby to get a cat.... he's not much of a cat person but once you see little faces like that, it's hard to say no!
Too bad we didn't live closer :sad:

That's why a lot of people at my office didn't look at the pictures - they didn't want to be sucked in by the cuteness *sigh*

My fiancÚ wasn't a cat person at all before he met me - I already had Jake, and he fell in love with him.. we got another kitten, Alley, but I think that was as far as he wanted to go, cat wise. Heck, all these cats, with my allergies, are enough for me too!

phoozles
June 19th, 2008, 10:11 AM
So I have someone who's interested in Igby! (which probably is the saddest for me, because he's frankly my favorite, but I know he has to go)

I'm trying to convince her to take another one too - we'll see what she says, but that will be one kitten down, two to go! I'm going to keep them for another couple of weeks though, to at least let the dewormer take its course.. That way they'll be about 8 weeks old, which I think is a good time for them to fly the coop..

ancientgirl
June 19th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I hope you can convince them to take another one. Although, it would still leave one kitty to be adopted alone:sad:

I wish you could find someone willing to take all three of them. Knowing siblings are being separated makes me sad. It's one of the reasons why I felt so compelled to take both Maks and Kiska home with me, and I'm forever grateful I did.

phoozles
June 19th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I know, it'll be sad, but I can't really expect someone to take three kittens off the bat - they turn into three cats, and that's a lot for some people to handle - it's been hard enough to convince FH that a third cat (Ethel) won't be a big deal :rolleyes:

ancientgirl
June 19th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I know one cat is hard enough for some people, much less 3 at once. It's odd, a year ago I thought the same thing. :laughing: Then I got one more, then two more, and now another one. Funny how once you have 2, adding another few isn't such an issue. It's just getting past that hurdle that's hard.

phoozles
June 19th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Cats are like tattoos - they're addictive! :laughing:

ancientgirl
June 19th, 2008, 10:50 AM

Tell me about it.:D
http://2ni2.com/emoticon/animal/gatos.gifhttp://2ni2.com/emoticon/animal/gatos.gif

14+kitties
June 19th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Funny how once you have 2, adding another few isn't such an issue. It's just getting past that hurdle that's hard.

Yep, my thoughts exactly! :rolleyes:

Good Luck on having Igby adopted. It is tough to say goodbye. I am delivering 2 to London on the 30th. I know it is to my kids but still...... :sad:

phoozles
June 19th, 2008, 11:02 AM
It'll be SO sad.. Part of me wishes I didn't plug Igby so well - but again, I know he can't stay with me.. :sad:

Anyway, it looks like she's only going to take Igby - she already has a cat.. She sounds excited and actually wants to pay me for the dewormer, which I will refuse, of course! At least I work with her, so I know her and can get check ups on him.

Hopefully the other two can be adopted together, or at least, not long after Igby goes.. :fingerscr

krdahmer
June 19th, 2008, 11:04 AM

:laughing: Um... can't argue that here with 6 cats, and 11 tattoos! :rolleyes:

Great that they are finding homes... and don't worry if they go alone, the person will fall in love with them, then want to give them a friend and there by adopting one, you find two a home! ;)

phoozles
June 19th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I hope they all find a place to live :fingerscr

I almost forgot about our progress with CC last night: FH and I went out and got them another litter box, so of course the three kittens thought of it as some kind of sandbox :rolleyes: It was all fun and games until Igby got some litter in his eye, so I had to wreck the fun and put a little bit of poop in it so they realized what it was really for. Of course, CC didn't want to stop the fun, and so stepped right in it :yuck:. FH laughed until I reminded him that she was stepping on his guitar cases right after it happened :laughing:

ANYWAY, we had a plastic stick from the litter we bought, so FH was darting it around - Igby was of course, the first to play, but we coaxed Cappy over (he's still more skittish than he was, but we managed to pet him a bit when he came over before he'd back away), and CC came to play too.. FH could pet her when she wasn't paying attention, but the moment she saw his hand she'd hiss and back away.. The good news: each time she'd hiss, but she backed away less and less.. We're thinking she's slowly warming up :fingerscr

rainbow
June 21st, 2008, 07:25 PM
I thought your brother or sister was taking Cappy? :confused: It would have been great if the person that is taking Igby took CC as well......she needs the companionship. :o

phoozles
June 23rd, 2008, 10:06 AM
My brother is worried about cat hair :rolleyes: and we realized that my sister should probably not take Cappy - all of the cats that they've had over the years have turned out a little .. nuts.. and we figure it's the way that they raise them.. It wouldn't be best.. :sad:
I know, I really wish CC could have gone with Igby, but it's not meant to be.. Maybe someone will be able to take Cappy and CC together.. :fingerscr

Chris21711
June 23rd, 2008, 10:13 AM
Did FH agree to keeping Ethel Phoozles?

ancientgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 10:41 AM
My brother is worried about cat hair :rolleyes: and we realized that my sister should probably not take Cappy - all of the cats that they've had over the years have turned out a little .. nuts.. and we figure it's the way that they raise them.. It wouldn't be best.. :sad:
I know, I really wish CC could have gone with Igby, but it's not meant to be.. Maybe someone will be able to take Cappy and CC together.. :fingerscr

Oh did I miss something? Igby was adopted?

phoozles
June 23rd, 2008, 10:45 AM
Yes.. He has agreed..

FH is very annoying sometimes.. When it's just the two of us, we talk about integrating the cats once the kittens are gone (Ethel has figured out how to open the door to her room, and comes out and charges Alley and Jake if they are around - I've since figured out a way to secure the door further). But when we are around ANYONE else, he talks about how we have too many cats, we should give away Ethel and the kittens, blah blah blah.. I think it's all to maintain his masculinity (cats aren't manly, apparently), but it's pretty annoying for me to listen to.. :rolleyes:

Oh, and on Saturday night, FH had went to drop our garbage in a dumpster - when he came back, he told me that there was an orange kitten outside that is only a couple weeks older than our guys and it's really friendly. I looked at him and said, "Why are you telling me this?" He was like I don't know.. :yell: He made me come over and look at them the next day - there's three of them, two orange tabbies and a black one that are about 8 weeks old, and crazy friendly.. Plus a little skinny.. :sad: I kept asking FH why he was showing me (he knows how invested I get in these things), and he just said he was an enabler.. he says he doesn't want to bring them in, but that maybe we could foster them.. from the outside.. :confused:

I think he likes to be a kitty rescuer, he just doesn't want to admit it.. :shrug:

phoozles
June 23rd, 2008, 10:46 AM
Oh did I miss something? Igby was adopted?

Igby has been adopted :thumbs up But he's still with me for a couple more weeks because he's still nursing and he's being dewormed.. I'm really gonna miss that little guy!

Chris21711
June 23rd, 2008, 11:17 AM
Yes.. He has agreed..

http://www.pic4ever.com/images/47b20s0.gif Right on Phoozles.

FH is very annoying sometimes.. When it's just the two of us, we talk about integrating the cats once the kittens are gone (Ethel has figured out how to open the door to her room, and comes out and charges Alley and Jake if they are around - I've since figured out a way to secure the door further). But when we are around ANYONE else, he talks about how we have too many cats, we should give away Ethel and the kittens, blah blah blah.. I think it's all to maintain his masculinity (cats aren't manly, apparently), but it's pretty annoying for me to listen to.. :rolleyes:

Ethel smart :D

Oh, and on Saturday night, FH had went to drop our garbage in a dumpster - when he came back, he told me that there was an orange kitten outside that is only a couple weeks older than our guys and it's really friendly. I looked at him and said, "Why are you telling me this?" He was like I don't know.. :yell: He made me come over and look at them the next day - there's three of them, two orange tabbies and a black one that are about 8 weeks old, and crazy friendly.. Plus a little skinny.. :sad: I kept asking FH why he was showing me (he knows how invested I get in these things), and he just said he was an enabler.. he says he doesn't want to bring them in, but that maybe we could foster them.. from the outside.. :confused:

That would be oh so nice. Aren't that any rescues in your area? Although now is kitten season and everyone is overrun with poor kitties. I so wish this madness would just stop :yell:

I think he likes to be a kitty rescuer, he just doesn't want to admit it.. :shrug:

Bless him :cat:

ancientgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 11:19 AM
Oh that's great about Igby.

But now what the heck is FH doing showing you the other kittens? :frustrated: Oy, men! How can he show them to you and not expect you to want to help them? Fostering them outside would be hard I'd think, especially if they are so small. They need care if their mommy isn't around. :sad:

phoozles
June 23rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
I know - it's very frustrating.. :wall:
FH thinks their mother is around - and they are really friendly, so I think the frozen food place is feeding them.. Plus it's fish fly season right now (lots of gross bugs that take over the town for a couple of weeks) so they've been feasting on these things.. :yuck:
I guess I'll just put out more food for them, and talk to the shelter about keeping these kittens in mind.. I'm hoping I can be a kind of foster parent for Cappy and CC (and maybe the other guys), that way people will fill out forms to adopt them, but I can keep them safe in my home so they don't get any viruses.. :fingerscr

14+kitties
June 23rd, 2008, 01:03 PM
:highfive: on Igby being adopted!! Great work! I know he is your favourite though. :sad:
FH sounds like mine. Sucker on the inside, macho on the outside. :rolleyes: Just tell him to suck it up and admit it!! :D
What's 3 more kitties in your house? :D:D Hubby should have to look after these ones. Just be careful, you get on this kitty wagon and it never stops!
And Ethel is one smart cookie! Make sure the next door she opens isn't the front one.

phoozles
June 23rd, 2008, 02:11 PM
Hubby should have to look after these ones.

That's what a coworker said :laughing:

Just be careful, you get on this kitty wagon and it never stops!

Oh, I know - that's why I didn't want to see them to begin with :sad:

And Ethel is one smart cookie! Make sure the next door she opens isn't the front one.

Yeah, she's a tricky one .. the door doesn't 'click' into the door frame, but the original owners had put some carpet at the bottom of the door so it would be a good seal.. Ethel figured out how to pull at this carpet to PULL open the door (I had originally though Jake was pushing it open, because it seems a lot easier to push than to pull!) Anyway, I've stuck a trusty cat tree in front of it, so we'll see how long it takes her to get that out of the way.. :D

She doesn't seem to want to go outside - she only opens the door to tell me she's hungry - oh, and to yell at Alley and Jake :rolleyes:

ancientgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
Not to get off the subject of Ethel and the kitties, but how is Alley doing with her burglarizing of the food around there?

phoozles
June 23rd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Not to get off the subject of Ethel and the kitties, but how is Alley doing with her burglarizing of the food around there?

:laughing: That hasn't changed much.. FH had to wrestle her two nights ago for a piece of rotini. Plus FH picked some daisies in our garden for me, and Alley came right over, plucked one out of my hand and took off :rolleyes: I figured that would happen, so we had to put the flowers on top of the fireplace mantle..

Sometimes I think she has snapped out of it, and then a piece of food goes whizzing by and I realize that I've been in denial :laughing:

ancientgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 02:48 PM
:laughing:I have a feeling that's just part of her personality now.