Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi from new member with cat questions.

C.C.
June 17th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Hello,
This is my 1st post. I read your forum because my long -haired cat had terrible mats that were driving him crazy. Following all your helpful advice - I had him shaved by a groomer. BUT...now his tail is still twitching and he's still acting as though he is in pain. There is no tenderness anywhere and he is eating - but he never stops the tail twitching. Any advice?

Thanks,

C.C.

hazelrunpack
June 17th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Hi, C.C. Welcome to the board.

Have you had a vet evaluate your cat? That's your next best step if you haven't done so already.

I have no cat experience, but if our dogs have unexplained behavioral changes or they seem to be exhibiting symptoms of pain, we take them in to be checked.

growler~GateKeeper
June 17th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Is this twitching something he's never done before?
Is it just the skin moving or the whole tail?

How bad were the mats on his tail?

You mention no tenderness but what about redness/razor burn?

t.pettet
June 18th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Your cat is probably feeling air on his skin that he couldn't feel when matted up and the re-growth of hair. As an owner of a long-haired cat you should get into a regime of combing/brushing on a regular basis so he won't be subjected to shaving. There are cat moulting combs and cat slicker brushes available at pet stores.

Folkwitch
June 19th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Hey there - I rescued a 2-year-old long-haired tabby with a HUGE mat on his back and when he was shaved for the first time he twitched for a few weeks, long enough for me to think, after the vet's clean bill of health, that it was another of his quirks. We would have him shaved once a year and each time he'd spend a week or two twitching. Maybe your cat just likes the feeling of being free of the mats.