Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Elephant in an accident!

katherine93
June 16th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I was just wathcing the news and they are reporting about a transport truck that was overturned in Daniels harbour, carrying a elephant, and 2 Alpackas? Or lama's(cant remember what the two there were) Any way, the animals are fine, But my main question is, why were there 3 exotic animals stuffed in the back of this truck with no ventilation! First off, circus animals are banned from newfoundland ( Because of incodents of cruelty to animals, which im so glad they have been banned) And second of all, its so dangerous for the pooor animals life! They could have been killed.. I just dont understand people! And i dont understand why the animal was on the island to begin with! URRRGGG :frustrated::yell: Im totally frustrated and pissed off!!!!

ancientgirl
June 16th, 2008, 09:29 PM
My whole life I've never liked Circus's. I'd always see them being announced on TV and the animals always looked so...spent to me. Like their life was very hard.

I'm happy he animals were okay, but I agree, what the heck where they doing in the back of some truck?

NoahGrey
June 17th, 2008, 10:28 AM
And you think the animals that are transported for slaughter are any better. The majority either die or are injured during transportation.

you are right about Circus's though. I would never support/go too a circus that used any animal for their shows.

ACO22

katherine93
June 17th, 2008, 10:55 AM
And you think the animals that are transported for slaughter are any better. The majority either die or are injured during transportation.

you are right about Circus's though. I would never support/go too a circus that used any animal for their shows.

ACO22

No i do not think it is anybetter... In fact my family only buys cosher(spelled?) chicken, to make sure that the animal endured NO suffering.. And we dont eat red meat...

NoahGrey
June 17th, 2008, 11:30 AM
No i do not think it is anybetter... In fact my family only buys cosher(spelled?) chicken, to make sure that the animal endured NO suffering.. And we dont eat red meat...

Don't believe everything you hear or read. Sorry but Kosher slaughtershouses are nothing to brag about. They are just as bad.

Watch the Earthlings documentary and see. There is footage of the biggest Kosher slaughterhouse in the US and it is disgusting. Pretty much the animals are bring tortured and slaughtered alive. It is a documentary that I try and get everyone to see...the documentary covers everthing from puppy mills, factory farms, slaughterhouses, clothing, illigal trade, fur trade, etc. It is sad that we humans treat animals the way some people do. And it is this 'out of sight, out of mind' mentality, that is why our animal cruelty/welfare is lack of.

I mean even trusted companies that pride themselves in their business are horrible. Did you know that Lilydale Chicken were charged with Animal Cruelty. The transportation of them and how they were killing them. By throwing live consious chickens in scolding, boiling water.

Kosher..sorry the animals suffer.

ACO22

aslan
June 17th, 2008, 11:35 AM

sorry Katherine but you might really want to look into how kosher animals are slaughtered, it actually is no more humane.

krdahmer
June 17th, 2008, 12:03 PM
and my understanding of Kosher, is just that it has been blessed by a rabbi so it's ok to eat?? Thought Kosher had nothing to do with the actual treatment of the animals?

katherine93
June 17th, 2008, 08:44 PM
:sad:Kosher meat is SUPPOSED to be meat that is fed all natural stuff and not pumped full of growth horrimones and stuff like that, and supposebly is killed in a humane and non-cruel way so that the animal dont experiance ANY pain or cruelty. BUt apparenlty thats bull...ugh..im going veg! Ugh.. Im so dissapointed ....wonder if mom knows this?! :sad:

NoahGrey
June 18th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Hi Katherine93,

I am a vegatarinan, and became one after watching the Earthlings documentary. It is a eye-opening, informative, powerful documentary. It is the real deal. How we as humans can degrate and treat our animals.

At times, it really does make me hate my own race.

As an Animal Protection Officer, I honestly have lost my repect for humanity. But it is a job that I love in. I get too help the voiceless and give them justice. And that means all animals. Livestock, exotics, domestic, wildlife.

ACO22

katherine93
June 29th, 2008, 11:00 AM
ACO22- Do you know where i could find that documentary? I would like to see it.

I am Happy to report i have not eaten any meat since june 17th and i hope to keep it that way. I know i havent been veg for very long yet but i think i am able to stick to it, i am sickened by the thought of eating a animal after doing more resaerch on slauter houses.

ancientgirl
June 29th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Katherine, I've been a vegetarian now for about 3 months and I can safely say, I've never felt happier with any decision. I feel like I've gone through life with blinders on, not knowing or wanting to know how the food I ate was brought to my table. My eyes were opened and I was shamed after I saw a brief commercial about factory farming.

I felt sick that my whole life this is what I have contributed to. There are so many alternatives for meat. I've gotten the hang of cooking with Tofu and I've slowly even stopped eating eggs unless I can find free range eggs, and even then I don't eat much of it. I've even cut about 90% of dairy products by buying soy products. I've also experimented with meat substitutes and found a lot of meatless sausages that are quite tasty.

It can be done and you can live a satisfied life. I'm 41, and if I can do it and not look back, anybody can.

The hardest thing for me has been to realize that when I eat out I have to ask more questions about the food I am eating. But thankfully, these days vegetarian and vegan eating is more mainstream and most restaurants are pretty accommodating.

sugarcatmom
June 29th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Ancientgirl (and anyone else interested), not sure if you've seen this site that lists vegetarian-friendly restaurants and stores: http://www.happycow.net/

It's kept reasonably up-to-date and I find it particularly helpful when I travel.

ancientgirl
June 29th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks! I bookmarked that. What a great source for recipes too! And it looks like you can order some foods online from their marketplace.

NoahGrey
June 29th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Here it is. If the reception starts to cut out, you can find this docmenentary anywhere on the net.

http://veg-tv.info/Earthlings

Another eye-opening webiste called No Downers. It also shows a video that you can click on. It pretains to injured livestock (called downers) and how they are treated before and after transportation. It also has ALOT of disburbing and graph footage.

http://www.nodowners.org/dontappose.htm

ACO22

katherine93
June 29th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks for sharing that with me, but i couldnt watch it all, I got up to the dehorning part and i am sick to my stomach and i cannot watch this anymore. I am , for the first time in my life, lost for words.

NoahGrey
June 29th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks for sharing that with me, but i couldnt watch it all, I got up to the dehorning part and i am sick to my stomach and i cannot watch this anymore. I am , for the first time in my life, lost for words.

I know, the whole documentary is an hour and a half. As hard as it was, I could only watch 40 mins of it and I shut it off. If a remember correctly, you didn't get to the Kosher part. It would also make you sick to your stomach. I emailed it too two officers that I work with. They wanted to see it. One is working with me tomorrow, so I'll see if he had time to watch it.

ACO22

MyBirdIsEvil
June 29th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I've gotten the hang of cooking with Tofu and I've slowly even stopped eating eggs unless I can find free range eggs

If you're talking "free range" eggs from the store, do not be fooled. Free range chickens are not in much better a situation than caged.
There aren't really many regulations defining what free range means other than that the chickens are not caged.

I have personally known people that raise "free range" poultry for large companies and would not even be willing to eat anything from their own birds. The birds are often packed densly into enclosures and only have small access to the outdoors, if anything, to meet the "must have outdoor access" rule. Caged chickens are actually often in more sanitary conditions. The "free range" chickens can move freely but they have to walk all over each other half the time which causes abrasians and infections.

If you want truly frange range poultry products you need to find somewhere that you can view the chickens YOURSELF such as a small family farm or simply someone that has some egg laying hens. You can also order eggs from reputable sources online, though that can be expensive since it's a perishable product.

ancientgirl
June 29th, 2008, 06:27 PM
If you're talking "free range" eggs from the store, do not be fooled. Free range chickens are not in much better a situation than caged.
There aren't really many regulations defining what free range means other than that the chickens are not caged.

I have personally known people that raise "free range" poultry for large companies and would not even be willing to eat anything from their own birds. The birds are often packed densly into enclosures and only have small access to the outdoors, if anything, to meet the "must have outdoor access" rule. Caged chickens are actually often in more sanitary conditions. The "free range" chickens can move freely but they have to walk all over each other half the time which causes abrasians and infections.

If you want truly frange range poultry products you need to find somewhere that you can view the chickens YOURSELF such as a small family farm or simply someone that has some egg laying hens. You can also order eggs from reputable sources online, though that can be expensive since it's a perishable product.

Thanks for that information. I have been limiting my breakfast to things that don't contain eggs. I think I've only had anything with eggs a handful of times since I've started eating vegetarian, simply because the "free range" are a bit hard to find, and the times I've found them they have been a little too expensive. So I've gone out.

I don't need to eat eggs that badly.