Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

the problem with my dog ...err...i mean me....walking

kigndano
June 16th, 2008, 08:36 AM
So it turns out the problem wasn’t the dog, it was basically 100 percent me.

Today I put my ipod on when I was walking, and I was 100 percent determined to stay calm no matter what, and not react at all to anything he did. I just kept my head forward and kept walking with the leash short. Everytime we passed someone and he gave a little hop I just said “Nope” and kept walking, and the change was ridiculous. He acted up a little but then it was like he was confused because I didn’t stop and get all mad at him and tell him to stop and settle down or anything. We managed to walk past a group of like 15 kids waiting for the bus and he didn’t even so much as jump or bark once.

When we passed a guy walking a dog I crossed the street, he barked twice, jumped once and that was the end of it.

So he doesn’t need a trainer so much as I need a coma-inducing pill to take when I walk him.

Thought you’d all enjoy that revelation that he is fine, and im the problem.

at least its going to be a lot cheaper this way, but boy oh boy do i feel like a dope blaming him.

especially since i read millans books religiously about how the dog is a reflection of your energy and to let go of the past and previous reactions and i just couldnt force myself to do it until i blocked my ownself from the outside world a little bit with the ipod.

poor dog, what a stupid owner.

DoubleRR
June 16th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Don't you just love those "aha" moments? Wasn't it kind of us to let you find that out on your own? :lightbulb::thumbs up

Love4himies
June 16th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Dogs can sense what their owners are feeling so if you get tense, your dog will be tense.

Glad you have found what works for you and your dog!:thumbs up

angeldogs
June 16th, 2008, 08:48 AM
That's a great update.staying calm can make all the differance and most issuse are the owner causing them with the owner being tense,nervous and keeping a tight leash can make a dog tense and stressed.
keep up the good progress:thumbs up

kigndano
June 16th, 2008, 08:57 AM
seriously who has some coma-inducing pills for me....

jealma
June 16th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I think your dog has a pretty smart owner. You are doing what you can to fix a problem and not hiding your head in the sand. Wish more owners where as smart as youl.

angeldogs
June 16th, 2008, 10:54 AM
seriously who has some coma-inducing pills for me....
If your stressed out before walking him.read a book.watch tv.walk him only when your calm.use your ipod and focus on the walk.well keeping a eye on the pooch.and keep him focused on the walk also.if your stressed and not focused he will be the same way.keep it up your doing it.

pitgrrl
June 16th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Someone once suggested, for exactly the same reason, that I whistle while I walk the dogs because it's fairly hard to be tense when you're whistling some really stupid song. That, or you could beg your doctor for some valium :shrug:

kigndano
June 16th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Someone once suggested, for exactly the same reason, that I whistle while I walk the dogs because it's fairly hard to be tense when you're whistling some really stupid song. That, or you could beg your doctor for some valium :shrug:

i like your style

kigndano
June 16th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Don't you just love those "aha" moments? Wasn't it kind of us to let you find that out on your own? :lightbulb::thumbs up

kind isnt the word i would use....

joking