Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help

Rolly
July 5th, 2004, 03:00 PM
My sweet cat,Harriette was very listless all day saturday,saturday night she was vomitting and had the runs.of course my vet is closed for the weekend,so sunday early i ran her into the city to emergency vet clinic in london.They put her on antibiotics and fluids as she was dehydrated.This morning i had to pick her up and take her to her own vet in Lucan.He just called and said that she is feverish again/vomiting/runs ect ect.
At the other clinic they said blood tests came back positive for liver infection.
Could someone please tell me what this means? She is my baby.I'm sitting here crying like an idiot because i'm worried that she is going to die.
She was a stray that someone dropped off on our farm 2 years ago/pregnant.We gave her kittens to friends,we see all of them still-none are sick.Had harriette fixed and she is just so gentle,that to see her in pain is just awful. Rolly

Luba
July 5th, 2004, 03:10 PM
I'm very sorry to hear that. Your cat is in good hands at the vet, while they keep her hydrated and run tests. They'll be able to find out whats wrong with her and hopefully treat her appropriately.

It's so hard when they get sick (hugs) you'll be okay!! You got lots of support here!

glasslass
July 5th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Good to be able to give support to a fellow pet-lover after they've done the "first things first"! You were there for her when she needed it! Now you need to have faith in your vet. And yes, now is the time when it's ok to fall apart because she's in good hands. ((hugs to you!)) Try to stay optimistic! :)

Rolly
July 5th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Thanks Luba & Glasslass needed some support.Have to tell my husband when he gets home,tonight.He was working nights all weekend at Toronto Airport,so he hasn't called since Friday night.Big rough tough guy,but Harriette just loves him so much..he comes in and she is all over him..he is the only one that can bathe her.She sleeps with us at night after he rubs her belly for about 20 minutes.
He will probably be more upset than i am. Rolly

chico2
July 5th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Rolly,I too wish you and your Harriette all the best,you did what you had to do and then ask for support,just the way it should be.
Unfortunately I don't know anything about liver-problem,but I am praying she can be cured and back home soon.
You are certainly not an idiot for crying,I,ve cried a lot of tears for my sweet cats over the years,I even saw my husband cry for our Peppi years ago,before I had him put down(Peppi that is!).
We love them and when they are seriously ill we feel miserable,helpless and we cry...rivers :(
Lot's of good vibes from us here at Pets.ca directed straight to sweet Harriette..

theplainsjane
July 5th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Good luck, Miss Harriette. Feel better soon.

Rolly
July 6th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Talked to Vet a few minutes ago,he says fever coming down slowly,kidneys working, and she seems more alert this morning.They are keeping her today to keep monitoring her.
I will phone again tonight to see how she is doing.
How in the world does a cat get a liver infection? Anyone?
She only eats purina light cat food -she chases it all over the floor more than eats it & 1 tablespoon of canned food/fresh water daily.
You could offer her sirloin or cheese or scrambled eggs on a plate and she lifts her nose and walks away/no people food for her.
I clean her litter box every 2nd day-now i've scrubbed it and disinfected it then threw it out and went out and bought a new one ...going a little crazy here.
She does not have any other cat friends.I feed a bunch of strays on the back porch daily..but she only goes outside with me in the garden and doesn't associate or go near the others.
Now,when she comes home i won't let her out at all if that is the problem..but she dearly loves playing " pouncing lion" behind my green bean plants. Thanks for all the input..it helps alot.
Oh,my husband said " she'll be fine,she is just a cat"...then started grilling me about how good this vet is/what her treatment is/what kind of drugs was she getting ect ect ect.Right...and he's not worried...
Rolly

glasslass
July 6th, 2004, 10:02 AM
I'm glad Harriette is doing better! I searched on the net under cats and liver disease. It sounds like the causes are not really easy to pin down. So many things can contribute to liver problems. Best to trust in your vet, listen to what he says and then do your own search in the meantime based on what his findings are. I'm always searching on my own if only to be able to better understand what my vet is telling me and to know what questions I need to ask if he doesn't elaborate enough. You have to do this with your own doctor as well! It's not that you can't completely trust, it's just that doctors are so swamped and have so many patients. You know your cat intimately and need to know what to watch for and inform your vet about. Another words, you need to work WITH your vet for the benefit of your cat. Then share with the rest of us so we can all learn. :)