Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

So Proud!

Byrd
June 15th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I know a lot of you won't really know the importance of any of this, but I'll just tell ya it's good! LOL

Willow pulled off a 4.058 second run last weekend, and this weekend she did two 4.0's in a row!!! So, that's bloody fast, especially for an Aussie, in a sport where things are counted to thousandths of a second (for example we lost a race by 300ths of a second :rolleyes: ).

This is running 50 feet down over four jumps, hitting the box and getting the ball, doing a 'swimmer's turn', and running back over the four jumps... all in four seconds.

When she first started racing she was running 4.5's, I said that all I want is a 4.2 second dog (I even have a blog entry where I mentioned it). She started running 4.2's and a couple of weeks ago pulled off a 4.137 which I was really happy with... then last weekend the 4.0 and this weekend two more!!!! In nine races (so about 40 heats) she averaged 4.15 and her slowest time all weekend was a 4.3!

On another note, I did a nearly perfect start of 0.004 seconds... perfect obviously being 0.000. Starts are calculated by when your dog's nose crosses the start line as to when the start light turns green. The race timing starts when the light turns green, not when the dog's cross the start line, so start times factor into your team time and you want to try to get as closs to 0 as you can without false starting. The timing lights are kind of like drag racing lights.

We had a good weekend, I'm pretty happy with my flyball dog who's only about 300 points away from her next title, she should get it at the next tournament.

Kashi
June 15th, 2008, 08:25 PM
WTG Willow !

And those photos are amazing !

ancientgirl
June 15th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Yay Willow! Wow, she's flying! I love both pictures. She looks like she's having a blast!

Byrd
June 15th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Those pics are actually from back in April when we were in NY. She does have a blast though.

angeldogs
June 15th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Keep up the hard work and having fun.

kimnmark
June 16th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Wow that's really great! :thumbs up The photos simply rock. She looks like she is having the time of her life.

Love4himies
June 16th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Way to go, Willow! What fantastic action shots! I love the second one, looks like she is in super concentration mode :lovestruck:

Lukka'sma
June 16th, 2008, 07:27 AM
OMG that is fast. I have watched fly ball on TV several times and it does look like a blast for the dogs. Congratulations Willow

hazelrunpack
June 16th, 2008, 09:35 AM
congratulations, Willow!!! :highfive: You keep makin' your mom proud!!! :dog:

Byrd
June 16th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I'm going to get the second pic printed once I get the disc with the full sized pic on it. I just absolutely love that picture!

She does love it, and does have so much fun, I wouldn't do it otherwise.

Spatx
June 16th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Way to go Willow! :D

Someday I hope I'll have a fast flyball dog, right now I think I'd be happy if Cody can manage to do 6 a second run :laughing:. That really is great though, she's an amazing girl, thats for sure! I can't wait to see her do a full run someday :)

Byrd
June 17th, 2008, 09:00 PM
You will. Now that you're going into level 2 we'll be playing chase games and stuff an actually using Willow with the trainees.

Don't think bad of Cody, he'll be faster than six seconds for sure.

Byrd
June 28th, 2008, 07:24 PM
The website finally updated and it turns out that Willow already has her next title. So she's officially Willow FDCh-G (we have 2599 points). Now we are only 2401 points away from our next title. My goal is to get the Flyball Master title this year, we just might do it. :fingerscr

mollywog
June 28th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Way to go! That is very exciting! Great pictures too!
I would love to get into flyball or something similar with Molly, but sadly there is nothing of the sort up here:shrug:

clm
June 28th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Congratulations Willow!.
How many competitions do you do with her in a month? Do all the competitions take place outdoors in summer? I would think heat would be an issue soon.

Cindy

rainbow
June 28th, 2008, 11:26 PM
YAY Willow :highfive: and love the pics. :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
June 29th, 2008, 02:13 AM
WTG Willow :thumbs up Good Job :highfive:

I've seen the Superdogs doing the timed relay runs w/jumps & the tunnel turn, they don't do the full flyball here I guess not as exciting for the large crowds :shrug: So I get the excitement & pride w/4.0s :thumbs up

You need to pester Superdog Central to include this update on their website ;)

The second pic is great :thumbs up

angeldogs
June 29th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Congrats Willow and to you Byrd.

Byrd
June 29th, 2008, 11:33 AM
CLM It depends on the month and what else is going on, there is pretty much a tournament every weekend in the summer. We run inside, outdoors is too hard there are different regulations for outdoor tournaments (like after every race the lanes have to be moved over so that the grass doesn't get worn, etc), it's actually cooler inside, and after the races the dogs go and lay in the kiddy pools that are stationed outside. We are very careful with them and we haven't had an issue with heat stroke yet with the dogs (we have more issues with the people because we don't think about ourselves as much as we do them).

Growler, we've done both tunnel relays and flyball in our demos, but the tunnel relays are more exciting for the audience. LOL at the SDC website thing, I'm the one that does the brags.... www.sdcbrags.blogspot.com

And thanks again to everyone else. :grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
June 29th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Growler, we've done both tunnel relays and flyball in our demos, but the tunnel relays are more exciting for the audience. LOL at the SDC website thing, I'm the one that does the brags.... www.sdcbrags.blogspot.com

Yeah I figured that's why we never get the full flyball out here :D Tunnel relays are always fun too :thumbs up :D

I saw the blog last night :thumbs up but thought the "News & Events" page on the SDC site was funny being "behind in the times" abit :laughing:

Byrd
June 29th, 2008, 06:08 PM
HAHA Willow is in the News & Events page, also our team is there too. They just don't write about everything that goes on... that's what I'm for, if people would actually send me stuff. :rolleyes:

growler~GateKeeper
June 29th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I saw her in there :lovestruck: , was expecting the newest results :laughing:

Byrd
June 29th, 2008, 09:20 PM
No, I really don't think the newest accomplishment would make it into the news and events section. Sorry. But, hey, that's what the brag blog is for. :thumbs up

kigndano
July 1st, 2008, 07:20 AM
thats awesome!

i hope i can some day report news that my pup has set the iwpa record for mals in weight pulling.

highly unlikely but you have to aim high right?

willow does look super "in the zone" in those pictures, its pretty amazing.

Stacer
July 1st, 2008, 09:48 AM
Good work Willow!! I bet she'll break under 4 soon!

Do bigger dogs do well in flyball? I think it would be awesome to get Skylar into something like that.

marko
July 1st, 2008, 10:09 AM
Congrats Byrd and Willow:highfive:

and those are good shots indeed - quite a challenge to get sharp shots like that when doogers are moving so fast! :thumbs up

Byrd
July 1st, 2008, 10:40 AM
kigndano, aim high, it's the only way! I used to have a saying "Dream, dream big, and don't be afraid of failure" always a good one because if you're afraid you'll fail than you just won't do.

Stacer, depends on how big. Border Collies are the best at the sport it seems. Huge dogs don't do well at all, you wouldn't see many Great Danes playing. Small dogs are a necessity as the height of your jumps are based on the height of the smallest dog on your team (therefore they are called the 'height dog'). I'm aiming to get her to a 3.9, but I think she wouldn't pull it off too often, that is awefully fast. My goal is to get to a U-Fli tournament and get her to go a good run in singles, last year we were third fastest Aussie, I would like to get her to first, unfortunately there aren't too many U-Fli tournaments.

Marko, our photographer is awesome, that's why he can charge so much for the photos. LOL We bought the CD though, so we have them all for $5 each person.

Byrd
September 28th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I get to be proud of Willow in a different sport now... Dock Jumping.

She jumped an average of 10' 4" with a best of 11' 6". We won first place in the Junior division!

Not too shabby for a non-water breed. :p

DoubleRR
September 28th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Awesome--have never seen anything but retrievers in dock jumping!

Flyball is such fun--when I was helping train a friends aussies in the early 80's we had to make our own flyball box from springs, wood and a tuna can to hold the ball--how times have changed, ;) My lab did very well at it for a lab--she loved the attention.

Byrd
September 28th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Actually some of our better jumpers are Border Collies and Jack Russels. The top dock jumper in Ontario is a Border Collie who jumps 25.5 feet. The JRT that was there yesterday and took first for micro dog jumped 20 feet, and the overall best dog was 23 feet, he was a Lab.

We have a Lab on our flyball team who runs 4.1 seconds! It's a sport for any breed, that's one of the things I love about it.

Times have changed, the FB box that our team is buying is costing us $1600!!!

Spatx
September 29th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Congrats on the Dock Diving! I wish I could have come to the event and tried some disc dog with Nova and Cody - and see if I could have gotten him to do dock diving since he LOVES to swim. Unfortunately my work is EVIL, and I couldn't get the day off :yell: Maybe if I'm lucky I can rent some practice time at the dock for fun.

That is if I can ever get a weekend off... I think its time to find a new job :rolleyes:

Melinda
September 29th, 2008, 02:16 PM
wow!!! congrats to you and willow!!! I love watching dock diving

Guinness' mom
September 29th, 2008, 02:19 PM
WTG Willow...you must be so proud Byrd...
I don't really understand all the numbers but it sounds really impressive!!
And I LOVE the pictures what a cutie :thumbs up