Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Going To Look For A New Kitten This Week

thekatzmeow
June 15th, 2008, 06:10 PM
:cat: Thanks for the all replies to my "poll" regarding how many pets people had! The overwhelming majority feel that cats enjoy having another cat around the house for company -- rather than being the only cat in the house. One person said her vet told her that cats like to be solitary; but she didn't agree with his advice. There is an elderly woman in my apartment building who, known as the "cat lady" because she feeds all of the strays, insists that cats prefer to be the only cat in the house. (She claims she knows from experience from all of the cats she has owned over the years.) However, she is just one person....and many more than one of you disagreed.

I will go to the shelter this week and look for another kitty for my Jackson. I am picky when it comes to selecting a kitten because I figure he/she will be with me for many years to come. So, it might take more than one trip to find one. :fingerscr From what I've read, the opposite sex is the best choice when getting another cat. Is this still the case when the male cat I already own has been neutered?

sugarcatmom
June 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
From what I've read, the opposite sex is the best choice when getting another cat. Is this still the case when the male cat I already own has been neutered?

Honestly, I don't really think there are any hard and fast rules when it comes to gender compatability between cats, especially when everyone's neutered. Individual personality has much more to do with it. For instance, a hyper and rambunctious youngster would likely be in major conflict with a more sedate elderly cat. Likewise, a male cat that likes to play rough may be very offputting to a diva female. I actually think matching ages and activity levels would go further towards ensuring the cats get along. But then again, every cat is different, so you never really know. Just like people, sometimes cats either hit it off, or they don't, for reasons only they understand. Good luck in your quest!

ancientgirl
June 16th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Likewise, a male cat that likes to play rough may be very offputting to a diva female.

sugarcatmom, is there some hidden camera in my apartment you are looking at? That's Vlad and Oksana to a T!

All of mine are pretty close in age and they are all S/N. 2 boys and 2 girls. I can't count the 5th kitty because she's still in solitary. But the other 4 get along well for the most part. The boys have their rough play, the girls do their own rough play too. There is fur flying now and then because Vlad and Maks try to play with Oksana and she won't have that. It's got to be on her terms.

Their personalities are different, all of them. But I believe they enjoy each other's company.

I think it's great you are looking for a friend for Jackson. Good luck and please post some pictures as soon as you can.

onster
June 16th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I also think there is no hard and fast rule whether or not cats like company :o

Some animals are just loners. My previous cat :rip: Ty HATED anything else furry. Hated with a passion turned into the kitty from hell hate.

Onnie one of my current kitties always seemed interested in other cats...he never ever had a full on cat fight when I introduced a kitten, never even hissed at the kitten. He wanted a friend. Granted he still plays rough from time to time but I know he is happier with a friend.

It really depends on ure cat. Maybe try fostering if ure not really sure?

14+kitties
June 16th, 2008, 09:05 PM
:cat: Thanks for the all replies to my "poll" regarding how many pets people had! The overwhelming majority feel that cats enjoy having another cat around the house for company -- rather than being the only cat in the house. One person said her vet told her that cats like to be solitary; but she didn't agree with his advice. There is an elderly woman in my apartment building who, known as the "cat lady" because she feeds all of the strays, insists that cats prefer to be the only cat in the house. (She claims she knows from experience from all of the cats she has owned over the years.) However, she is just one person....and many more than one of you disagreed.

I will go to the shelter this week and look for another kitty for my Jackson. I am picky when it comes to selecting a kitten because I figure he/she will be with me for many years to come. So, it might take more than one trip to find one. :fingerscr From what I've read, the opposite sex is the best choice when getting another cat. Is this still the case when the male cat I already own has been neutered?

Wow! That lady needs to come visit me then! Mine have their "sleeping partner" to cuddle with, play with, spend time with. They have all formed their little cliques but for the most part get along well. I am amazed every time I spend time with them watching the dynamics. You can't see that with one cat!

Good luck on your search.

thekatzmeow
June 17th, 2008, 03:02 PM
:cat: What I've read has been helpful!! I did get a little kitty yesterday. I'll post a new thread because it's no longer about whether or not to get a new kitten -- but what happens after the fact!!