Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pets and bugs that sting

Magicwildwolf69
June 14th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Has anyone heard of cats getting stung if they catch a bug that has a stinger ex wisp bees. i keep getting them in my apartment and manage to kill them before the cat catches them. I am deathly afraid of them but manage to keep a bug spray on hand that kills them. i clean up the area afterwards cause i know it can be poisionis to cats. I'm at my wits ends i keep getting them in here and i get the shakes after seeing them flying around. I always worry if the cat gets stung when i'm not home any thoughts on it?

thekatzmeow
June 14th, 2008, 05:15 PM
One of my cat's favorite things to do is to chase bugs around my apartment. I live up on a high floor; so, there are not too many that come his way. When he was several months old my cat got stung by a big yellow-jacket which he was trying to catch. I was home and he made a crying noise which alerted me to what had just happened. Other than the shock and the pain -- he did not have any other repercussions. One good thing which came out of it is he learned very quickly to NEVER mess around with those critters again. He recognizes bees from other insects immediately now and stays out of their paths. :thumbs up

BusterBoo
June 14th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Not sure if there is a difference for dogs and cats, but I always keep benadryl tablets on hand incase Buster gets stung (again!). The Vet advised to make sure the stinger is OUT, apply a cold compress to reduce the swelling and give benadryl.

Hopefully some "cat" people will be able to give more advice :shrug:

hazelrunpack
June 14th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Our dogs, being the nudniks they are, get stung quite often. Most of the time they'll just get a localized lump around the bite. However, we too keep benadryl around in case one of them should have an allergic reaction. Unfortunately, ours don't seem to learn that if they bite the bees, they'll get stung. :frustrated:

rainbow
June 15th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Yep, Benadryl is a must for your first aid kit. :thumbs up You can also use the generic version/no name brand......look for the ingredient "diphenhydramine". :pawprint:

clm
June 15th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Our dogs, being the nudniks they are, get stung quite often. Most of the time they'll just get a localized lump around the bite. However, we too keep benadryl around in case one of them should have an allergic reaction. Unfortunately, ours don't seem to learn that if they bite the bees, they'll get stung. :frustrated:

:laughing: Why is it that most dogs just don't seem to learn about stinging bugs, porcupines and skunks? :laughing: I've never had a cat catch a bee or wasp in the house yet. It's not for lack of trying. I usually manage to kill them before they catch them. I would get rid of the bug spray and get a fly swatter. I would be more afraid of the stuff in the bug spray than the sting.

Cindy

chico2
June 15th, 2008, 05:11 PM
All 3 of my cats have been stung once while we were outside,now they avoid bees at all cost,any other bug is fair game,except ants:cat:
It's really weird how they remember not to catch a bee cause they hurt.:confused:

clm
June 15th, 2008, 05:33 PM
All 3 of my cats have been stung once while we were outside,now they avoid bees at all cost,any other bug is fair game,except ants:cat:
It's really weird how they remember not to catch a bee cause they hurt.:confused:

Cats are so much smarter than dogs. They know they have superior intelligence too. You can tell by the way they look at dogs with disgust. :laughing:

Cindy

hazelrunpack
June 15th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Cats are so much smarter than dogs. They know they have superior intelligence too. You can tell by the way they look at dogs with disgust. :laughing:

Cindy

:laughing: How am I going to break that news to the Pack? :o :laughing:

chico2
June 16th, 2008, 06:33 AM
:laughing::laughing:clm,I was going to say that,but was afraid of a backlash:laughing::laughing:

clm
June 16th, 2008, 07:51 AM
:laughing::laughing: Well I have both cats and dogs, so it's not like I'm a cat person saying that dogs are dumber than cats. Just a quiet observation I've made over the years. :laughing::laughing:

cindy

jealma
June 16th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Guess I"m going to have to go get some Benadryl. I don't have that in the house. So how are you to know how much to give a dog. I don't want to over dose my pet if she ever needed it. What else do you use Benadryl for?

HelenNutmeg
June 16th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I keep a can of strong hold hair spray not pump style .. Stops them quick in the air.. I use it for anything flying in my place..

1 mg. per pound of weight.. I believe

hazelrunpack
June 16th, 2008, 01:25 PM
:laughing::laughing: Well I have both cats and dogs, so it's not like I'm a cat person saying that dogs are dumber than cats. Just a quiet observation I've made over the years. :laughing::laughing:

cindy

It's a fundamental philosophical difference. Cats think about what just happened, and decide it's safer to avoid it in the future; dogs think about what just happened and plot revenge! :laughing:

Guess I"m going to have to go get some Benadryl. I don't have that in the house. So how are you to know how much to give a dog. I don't want to over dose my pet if she ever needed it. What else do you use Benadryl for?

Your vet can tell you what an appropriate dose for your dog is. You may need to use Children's Benadryl for a smaller dog because it makes it easier to tailor the dose by size--for bigger ones, you can use regular Benadryl. But check with the vet to find out for certain how much and what kind you should use.