Spoiled
July 5th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Jay died. :(

Luba
July 5th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Jay is your fish??

Spoiled
July 5th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Jay was my algae eater. I'm pretty sure he died from stress, although he seemed to be doing pretty well. :(

Luba
July 5th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Maybe it was just his time Spoiled! I'm sorry he died. But I'm sure he had a nice time with you caring for him.

Spoiled
July 5th, 2004, 11:07 AM
It might have been, but I'm still very sad. When I took him out of the tank, I saw he had no eyeballs, just holes where they used to be. My other fish ate them out. :(

glasslass
July 5th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Nature can be pretty gross! I'm sure he had a much better life than he might have had. Sometimes, that's all we can hope for. All lives are precious! :(

Lucky Rescue
July 5th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Sorry about your fishie! I've gotten quite attached to some of mine too.:(

Luba
July 5th, 2004, 02:56 PM
OMG no eyes, that must have been hard to handle!

What type of ceremony did you have for him?

chico2
July 5th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Spoiled,I know you can get attached to a fish,my algae-eater got to be almost a foot long and as cutely ugly as he was I really liked him a lot.
He was adopted out to the pet-shop when we had to dismantle the aquarium,I went to see him for a while and he was perfectly happy in a big tank.
Your Jay is now in the BIG aquarium over the Rainbow bridge :(
What kind of fish do you have that attacked an algae-eater,usually they are pretty safe from any other fish?

jenjen
July 5th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Sorry for your loss. Hopefully he died of natural causes. My fishy commited suicide. Its no fun losing a pet no matter what their size.

heidiho
July 5th, 2004, 05:39 PM
How did your fish commit suicide??? :eek:

jenjen
July 5th, 2004, 05:42 PM
He was the only one in the tank so we decided to get him 2 new friends. I think he might have been happy being a one man show cause the next morning we found him on the kitchen floor all dried up poor little guy.. I think he got scared from the 2 new fish and jumped out.

heidiho
July 5th, 2004, 06:00 PM
AWWW How sad,that is horrible..

Spoiled
July 5th, 2004, 06:25 PM
What type of ceremony did you have for him?
I had a "ceremony at the toilet" for him. :(

My fish that killed him by stress (I think) was my African Chichlid. I'm seriously thinking of giving him up to the pet store. Does anyone think that is a good idea? I just want to have a good option open. :)

glasslass
July 5th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Burial at sea! Seems natual for a fishie! :p
Sorry, I don't know much about fish! :o

anniebananie
July 6th, 2004, 06:25 AM
:( So sad - glad you had a good funeral for him - now he is in algea heaven. My daughter has a siamese fighting fish called Red - and I would be heart broken if anything happened to him - he comes on vacation to us when they visit.

Spoiled
July 6th, 2004, 09:26 AM
I also had a Siamese Fighter fish. He died after I had him for about 6 months. I have heard that they only live for about a year. :(

Missy
July 6th, 2004, 10:13 AM
I don't have any advice about what to do since I have never owned any fish but I just wanted to say I am really sorry to hear about your fish :(

I had a friend who lost several fish because they all kept committing suicide. She tried everything - fish alone, fish with a friend, until she had two fish that went out together and then she gave up and bought herself a plant.

Spoiled
July 6th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Wow, thats horrible! Was there a top on the tank?

Luba
July 6th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Committing suicide by jumping out of the tank?

There are screens for the tops of tanks though right?

Spoiled
July 6th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Some tanks do, some tanks don't. If you keep a fish in a glass flower vase, then there wouldn't. The tops of fish bowls don't, but most aquariums do. Sometimes it surprises you - you're in the same room with the fish, and all of a sudden you hear a large splash.

glasslass
July 6th, 2004, 12:09 PM
My friend's hubby came home from a fishing trip with a crawdad and put it in their tank. During the night, it escaped out the top and they found it days later in the floor furnace. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Spoiled
July 6th, 2004, 01:15 PM
C r e e p y !

Lucky Rescue
July 6th, 2004, 02:04 PM
My fish that killed him by stress (I think) was my African Chichlid.

Most African cichlids are highly territorial and very aggressive, and without a proper environment, they WILL harass other fish to death, if they don't outright kill them.

Unless you have the knowledge and proper setup (LARGE tank, rock formations etc) to keep them, I would take the one you have to the pet store.

Spoiled
July 6th, 2004, 02:10 PM
The one I have is only about 2 inches long, and I do have a lot of stuff in my aquarium (two large rocks, at least two plants) and some other stuff. I keep him in a 15 gallon fish tank.

I don't know why Jay didn't hide, because there was plenty of room for him to.

I think I'll consider giving him up to the pet store. :(

Iggette
July 6th, 2004, 03:09 PM
I'm sorry about your loss spoiled :(
I had fish a very long time ago and my placostamus (spelling?) jumped out as well and I remember I was quite sad so I know how you can get attached.
Hubby just 50 goldfish for our pond (against my wishes) god only knows what happens come winter :mad:

Spoiled
July 7th, 2004, 12:33 PM
That must be a huge pond. They tend to winter over, but the birds catch them, too.