Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Found Beautiful Little Grey Tabby Cat

Karen1203
June 14th, 2008, 07:14 AM
On Wednesday June 11th a lovely little cat arrived in our driveway. We live in the Preston Area of Cambridge Ontario. She is very loving and affectionate (we think she is female!). She was very hungry but apart from that she seems to have been very well taken care of. I am unsure how old she is but at a guess would say she is under a year old, and does not appear to have been de-clawed. She doesn't like being outside unless someone is with her. I have contacted the local SPCA but to no avail. We are very anxious to find her owner as she appears to be missing them!

I apologise there is no photo with this thread - I have a photo of course but for some reason this forum will not let me post it!

Karen1203
June 14th, 2008, 07:16 AM
http://www.fotothing.com/photos/deb/deb1971a5abf86a59183ff8d93592836.jpg?ts=1213443049

chico2
June 14th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Karen,thank you for taking care of this little girl.
I don't know anything about the Cambridge SPCA,are they no-kill??
It is possible she is microchipped,maybe a vet or the SPCA could scan her.
If at all possible,please try to keep her safe and fed for the time beeing:cat:

Karen1203
June 14th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Hi Chico2 - thank you, the pleasure is all mine in taking care of her - I adore cats, I had to leave mine back in England last year when I emmigrated here to Ontario (thankfully a close friend took him so I still see pictures). I just know how distressed I would be if this were my missing cat and she is so lovely I find it hard to believe that someone would have delibertely lost her. I contacted the SPCA in the hope they might have heard from someone who had lost her - I am not sure of their policies - I have no intention of handing her over to any kind of pound, I will keep her here until hopefully I find her owner.

14+kitties
June 14th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Karen - first off, welcome to Pets.ca forum!
Secondly - thanks for being this little sweetie's :angel:
And lastly - I think the kitty has FOUND her new owner! :rolleyes: Congratulations!!!

Is there any possibility that the kitty has made her way back to her old home? Just an off chance. :shrug:

badger
June 14th, 2008, 08:33 AM
She looks in fairly good shape for a stray. Are you able to see a spay scar? If she is spayed, it ups her chances of being reclaimed. People generally don't spend money on an animal if they're of a mind to discard it. That being said, I'm feeding a tabby boy in my neighbourhood, who is neutered and declawed, and I can't find the owners.
I'd put up some posters in your neighbourhood, take out one of those ads in your local paper (often free), post in vet offices, food stores, laundromats. Just her picture, keep back any other details to deter idiots from claiming her as their own.
If you hear nothing, maybe it is her destiny to fill that little hole in your heart from your last kitty :).
Welcome to Canada, where animal abandonment rates are sky high.

Karen1203
June 14th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks 14+Kitties?!! and Badger for both the welcome to the forum and Canada and for your replies.

We moved into the house last October, the previous owners kept ferrets and dogs! No cats. Thanks for your suggestion though, yes she does appear to have a small vertical scar across the lower abdominal area. My husband is on 12 hour shifts at the moment but we will get her to a vets on Monday to check if microchipped.

I will do as you suggest Badger and post pictures around and about, I have spoken to one or two neighbours already.

Animal abandonment sadly is also very high in the UK as well - but I really don't feel she is a another case, much as I would love to keep her I would be happier if we found her owner.

Thanks again for all your help - this seems to be a great forum.

chico2
June 14th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Karen,I just saw her picture,she is really beautiful and looks like a healthy kitty.
I am kind of secretly hoping she'll get to stay with you,but if there is a desperate owner out there looking for her,posters are the way to go.
Sorry you had to leave your cat behind,we left a dog behind when we left Sweden to come to Canada and to this day,I regret that decision,but he did get a good home.

Karen1203
June 16th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I think we have possibly solved the mystery. We took her to a local vet this morning to see if she had a microchip.

The vet was very kind, she gave her a full examination free of charge. She has no chip, she has not been spayed so I was mistaken, and also she has milk, she has recently had kittens.

The vet thinks from this it seems pretty obvious what has happened, some b*S*a*d has obviously dumped her after she has weaned the kittens. I am not entirely shocked by this I know there are evil people out there that do this kind of thing but I am very disappointed and very sad for her.

She is lucky, she now has a loving home, and we will do anything we can to make life happy for her now.

Now we are off out to buy her some bits and pieces to make her fully at home. She will be loved here. We just need to think of a name - any suggestions :thumbs up Thank you all for your kind responses and help - its nice to know there are some genuine caring people out there in what sometimes seems to be a very cruel world.

Love4himies
June 16th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Are you sure she doesn't still have her kittens somewhere? If she has milk, she is still nursing or in the process of weaning. Don't assume somebody threw her out, but that she has kittens outside somewhere.

14+kitties
June 16th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Are you sure she doesn't still have her kittens somewhere? If she has milk, she is still nursing or in the process of weaning. Don't assume somebody threw her out, but that she has kittens outside somewhere.

That was what I first thought of too. Does she seem anxious at all? Like, she wants to go outside? I know you said she doesn't like going out without someone. Is it possible she wants to show you where her babies are?

On the other hand, if she was thrown out :evil: then :grouphug: to you for taking her in!!! Please refer back to my previous message.... :D Kitties know where they can find a good home. She is a beautiful girl!!

Karen1203
June 16th, 2008, 01:36 PM
The vet was of the opinon that she had nursed but not immediately recently as it is now drying up? She was of the opinon that someone would possibly have got rid of her after she had nursed the kittens ... I am not familiar with nursing cats all as my previous cats were timely spayed or neutured. No she is not at all anxious, although for the first day or two she did seem to be crying a lot... she has very quickly become comfortable here and follows me and my husband everywhere - she likes to come outside with us but if we move to go indoors she runs back to our back door to come back in the house - she likes to use a empty soil plot at the end of our vegatable plot to litter and has even woken me up at 4am to take her outside for this purpose!!! We have a screen tent in the garden and she happily sits in this as long as one of us is with her in the daytime. I sincerely hope there is not an abandoned litter of kittens - I do doubt this, but I guess we wll never really know. I have made enough noise locally to let people know she is here.

phoozles
June 16th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I would be a little concerned that she might have those kittens out somewhere too - Any chance you can go outside with her and follow her? Another thing you can do (the way that I found my stray's kittens) is to feed her some wet food or tuna outside, and see if picks some up and takes it somewhere - you'll definitely find them then..

Either way, thanks for not dropping her off at the shelter, and taking her in - she's gorgeous! :lovestruck:

chico2
June 16th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I too don't know much about cats having kittens,but I would think,since she goes outside with you and does not try to run where she might have kittens,your vets suspicion might be right on.

I am assuming if she had kittens somewhere she would go to them and not go back in the house with you.

Karen1203
June 16th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I would assume this also Chico, and whilst I would do anything I could for her, there really is only so much *I* alone can do which I think is more than a lot of people would sadly. Thank you for your support. I do think the vet is very probably right, we will of course keep an eye on her ... I think right now she is just sheerly exhausted from the whole experience and she just seems so happy to be loved.

NoahGrey
June 17th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Ok, I know this is going to come across as rude and I don't mean it too be but I can't help but think you are pushing the thought of kittens aside.

It is like you are not facing the highly likely possiblity that there are probably 8 old week kittens out there..which probably now will not survive.

I commend you for taking her in, but I would still think about the thought of her babies are out there.

It shouldn't be 'out of sight, out of mind'.

ACO22

Love4himies
June 17th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Ok, I know this is going to come across as rude and I don't mean it too be but I can't help but think you are pushing the thought of kittens aside.

It is like you are not facing the highly likely possiblity that there are probably 8 old week kittens out there..which probably now will not survive.

I commend you for taking her in, but I would still think about the thought of her babies are out there.

It shouldn't be 'out of sight, out of mind'.

ACO22

Thank you for posting this aco22, my thoughts exactly!

Sweet Pea was still nursing kittens until they were about 12 weeks old, very little mind you and so there was a tiny bit of milk still being produced and these kittens still needed their momma.

NoahGrey
June 17th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Thank you for posting this aco22, my thoughts exactly!

No Problem. It just really frustates me.

Would also like to mention that this 'out of sight, out of mind' mentality is why are animal cruelty/welfare laws are lack of.

ACO22

chico2
June 17th, 2008, 09:57 AM
It's not that I don't think of kittens out there somewhere,I would search for them,listen for them.
If they are 8-10 weeks old they will be making noise,also more than likely start looking for mom.
My Vinnie was only 8/10 weeks when he was found by friends of mine,no other cats around,maybe he was one of several but he got lucky.
I just think it's strange the mother,if she has kittens somewhere hidden, is not eager to get out and go to them,kitty-moms are very good moms usually.
Karen even had her outside,but she made no attempt to leave:confused:
Also ACO no animal is ever overlooked by me,if I can help..:pawprint:

NoahGrey
June 17th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Not all cats are good moms, Expecially first time cat moms.

ACO22

Karen1203
June 17th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Well what would you suggest then ACO22, shall I send out a search team around the city looking for kittens??? Please bear in mind this cat *ran* into my driveway (the vet suggested she was probably thrown from a car on the busy road that runs out front of our property) - she does not want to leave the property and I am certainly not going to try force her.

NoahGrey
June 17th, 2008, 01:33 PM
All I am asking is for you to try. And BTW, I am not the only one here who has the same thinking as I.

ACO22

Karen1203
June 17th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Well perhaps in future you might consider being thoughtful enough to refrain from posting comments such as

"Would also like to mention that this 'out of sight, out of mind' mentality is why are animal cruelty/welfare laws are lack of."

You were inferring that I don't really give a damn - I don't know too many people that would have done anything in this kind of situation do you?

NoahGrey
June 17th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I didn't mean to be disrespectful. Like I said, I commend you for doing such a thing and you are correct alot of other people would have just tried to pretend that they didn't notice the cat.

it's not that you don't care, I know you do. It just seemed like you could not do anything and that was that.

If she was thrown from a car, she would have bruises, scatches, poss some injury. I highly doubt that she was dumped that day she ran to your house.

Maybe she will feel more comfortable if you go out with her...if you put her out by herself, she may think that you are trying rid of her. I am sure if you go out with her and stay near her, she will be ok

If she was hanging near your house, odds are her babies are near by?

ACO22

chico2
June 17th, 2008, 04:04 PM
ACO,if you read all the posts you will see that Karen already had her outside with them,but that she immediately runs to the door when Karen and her hubby go inside,so,it's already been done.
That's what baffles me,I would think she would be eager to get back to her kittens.,maybe they were taken by predators and the milk dried up,who knows.
IMO,Karen is doing a great thing taking this little girl in and I :pray:there are no starving kittens out there somewhere.

kittenwarrior
June 22nd, 2008, 08:47 AM
Karen -good on you for trying to find the home for this tabby cat. Please ignore all the comments from people suggesting you should search the city for kittens. It's just ridiculous. Carry on looking after the lovely tabby and I hope you either find it's owners or become the owners.

KW

Love4himies
June 22nd, 2008, 04:49 PM
Any momma kitty that has milk should be feed, but there should be an effort to let her go back to her kittens. Just because the cat wants inside does not mean that she doesn't have any kittens outside. They kittens could starve to death.

I am with ACO22 on this.

Karen1203
June 22nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
Well good luck to your in your quest to save the animal world, just beware you don't scare too many people off this forum who are only trying to do the decent thing.

FYI the cat's owner turned up via the SPCA yesterday - as the vet suggested she indeed had kittens quite some time ago (only one 3 month old one remains with her mother's owner) she is an indoor cat and had got out by accident.

Thank you to all those people who were supportive, it was much apprecated. To all idiots out there I suggest you think twice before posting such ignorant, niaive comments, playing 'detective' on situations when you are really only making assumptions. Remember preaching very often turns people away from what you are trying to achieve

Frenchy
June 22nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
To all idiots out there I suggest you think twice before posting such ignorant, niaive comments,

Idiots , ignorant , naive ??? :confused: This is a public forum and everyone can post their opinions , what do you like it or not.

And those "idiots" as you call them , are very experience cat people who rescue/ foster pregnant cats. So they know what they are talking about !!

Karen1203
June 22nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Again, I would emphasise think before you speak, and maybe take a chill pill - you just said this is a public forum and they are entitled to put their opinions .... as you said this is an open forum and I am entitled to the opinion that they are idiots and dared to suggest they do not scare off people who are trying to help. To make remarks about a situation they really know nothing apart from supposition is hardly intelligent now is it? In my opinion the vet was far more experienced in her opinion, I mean after all she actually did see the animal. As it is an open forum sweety, I really will dare say what ever I see fit.

Frenchy
June 22nd, 2008, 08:20 PM
If there's so many idiots here , what are YOU still doing here then ?

Karen1203
June 22nd, 2008, 08:22 PM
Oh dear, try to grow up!

luckypenny
June 22nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Thank you all for your kind responses and help - its nice to know there are some genuine caring people out there in what sometimes seems to be a very cruel world.

Regardless of difference of opinions, this is what members here have in common. A good thing to keep in mind when advice is given, even if we don't always like what we hear :shrug: .

Glad to see all turned out well for this kitty. I hope she'll now be kept safe.

hazelrunpack
June 22nd, 2008, 10:25 PM
Again, I would emphasise think before you speak, and maybe take a chill pill - you just said this is a public forum and they are entitled to put their opinions .... as you said this is an open forum and I am entitled to the opinion that they are idiots and dared to suggest they do not scare off people who are trying to help. To make remarks about a situation they really know nothing apart from supposition is hardly intelligent now is it? In my opinion the vet was far more experienced in her opinion, I mean after all she actually did see the animal. As it is an open forum sweety, I really will dare say what ever I see fit.

:confused:

You received a fair amount of caring advice from people who are knowledgeable and experienced. Yet you responded with rudeness and name-calling. :shrug: I guess you will dare say whatever you see fit...

That's really too bad... :sad: There's a lot of knowledge to be had from the members of this board if you are open to it.

14+kitties
June 22nd, 2008, 10:48 PM
I guess I am one of the "idiots". :sad:

Just to let you know some background. Since last summer I have had 25kittens born on my property of feral moms. There were actually more but I am only counting the ones that survived. A couple were hit by cars :rip: my angels. A litter did not survive birth. A couple have simply disappeared - snakes, coyotes, hawks. :shrug: :rip: little ones. I still have all 25 in a shelter that was built for them and in my house so I do feel I know a 'little' bit about kittens. I have watched the moms feeding, weaning, etc. It is a long drawn out process with can take weeks to achieve.

To be called an idiot because we are concerned that maybe there were young kittens out in a city on their own is something I do not feel is necessary. There are lots of dangers everywhere these days. Small kittens would not stand much of a chance. Especially in a big city with tons of vehicles.
IF she had been a stray who had a litter of kittens around the litter would have been close by. There would have been no need to "send out a search team around the city looking for kittens." At the point where it was mentioned it was possible there were kittens around we were genuinely trying to help get to the bottom of the mystery. Now I am sorry I did. :sad:

May I just mention that the vet was wrong in her supposition that the cat was "gotten rid of". It was also feasible she could have been wrong about kittens as well. Vets are not all knowing all of the time.

I am glad your story ended the way it did with mom reunited with kitten and hopefully on her way to get spayed. Thank you for caring for her while you had her. Maybe you can adopt her one remaining kitten.

chico2
June 23rd, 2008, 06:08 AM
Karen,first off I am really happy for the kitty,she looked like she had been cared for.
On the other hand,I am very disappointed by your reaction to advice,I too was a bit taken aback by the"out of sight out of mind mentality",however it is true with a majority of people.
I am sorry this thread ends with name-calling and anger,but glad the little one is back where she belongs,hopefully also to be spayed:fingerscr

Love4himies
June 23rd, 2008, 06:48 AM
Many of us have fostered pregnant momma kitties and we know if she has any milk, she more than likely has kittens. As it turns out she did, that 3 month old was probably still nursing as a soothing act just before bed.

Thank you for caring for this cat and I am glad she has been reunited with her baby and her owners.

Hopefully the owners of this cat will get her spayed!:yell::frustrated:

I am wondering why, if you were truly a cat lover, that you weren't concerned about the possibility there were kittens outside that needed their momma????

Karen1203
June 23rd, 2008, 07:31 AM
First off, I sincerely apologise for name calling. To use the word idiot was thoughtless, unfair and sweeping, I did not intend it as an attack at everyone here as I genuinely did appreciate the help I was given. I hope you do understand that being accused of having "an out of sight out of mind mentally" was upsetting but none the less no excuse for not choosing my wording more carefully, I had decided a few days ago it best to stay away from this forum however I continued to receive email on this link and was again attacked and accused of abandoning kittens, in the main these comments were by people who had never even commented about the lost cat in the first place and merely jumped on the uncaring bandwagon. This is tantermount to bullying, and I stand firm in the belief that this kind of behaviour toward newcomers is not condoneable.

FWIW I have a fair of experience with animals, and have had cats in my life for over 30 years.

The sole reason I initially came to post on your forum was that I only wanted to try trace this animal's owner, I did not come here looking to get involved in arguments and accusations, and to this end have requested my profile be deleted.

Thank you all once again for all of your help and good luck for the future.

Love4himies
June 23rd, 2008, 07:52 AM
Thank you for that post, Karen, I find it very well written.

Many people on this forum go above and beyond for strays, abandoned and abused animals, especially Frenchy and 14+kittens. They are just wonderful people and most senior posters have vast experience that we can all learn from.

I am sorry you are not happy with this forum, as I think you are an animal lover too. Maybe just poke around a bit and you will find out how much these two and others do for animals ;)

Karen1203
June 23rd, 2008, 08:04 AM
Thank you Love4Himes, and BTW I did go looking for the kittens!
Best wishes
Karen

14+kitties
June 23rd, 2008, 08:23 AM
L4H - thank you! You do so much with fostering and helping kitties out I am honoured to know you! I am also honoured to know Frenchy. She is amazing in her tireless zeal in helping strays and animals people no longer consider "worthy of their time" and get rid of them.

Karen - maybe some of us come on pretty strong. I know I do. I apologize for that. At present I have 9 kittens in my house. Maybe adds to the stress a little. :rolleyes:
There are so many people on this site that do so much to help animals! They are wonderful, amazing people. I don't want to start naming anyone in case I miss someone and they are hurt. They all do such great work in their quest for animals. I wish you would give us another try. You will find we really are just a great group of people getting together to talk about our love - animals!

Love4himies
June 23rd, 2008, 08:33 AM
There are so many people on this site that do so much to help animals! They are wonderful, amazing people. I don't want to start naming anyone in case I miss someone and they are hurt.

Yes, there are a lot of people on this site that help animals, many, many more than who I mentioned. Sorry to those :sorry:.

I am glad to hear you did look for the kittens :grouphug:, I was thinking of them and you know how some imaginations can get very over active :o.

Karen1203
June 23rd, 2008, 09:36 AM
I really do think you are a great group of people.

I understand stress too and I know you will understand that my reaction was also out of a bit of stress, I wanted to find her owner but at the same time I am a quite sad now she is gone, having just packed away her basket and the little toys we'd got for her last night, I just saw red when another comment came through. :o

Thank you for being so forgiving and understanding. I very much respect what many people do for animals here.

14+kitties
June 23rd, 2008, 01:15 PM
Ok, so .... we got that over with. :rolleyes:
Let's start over again...............
If you would like to consider a kitten I happen to be personally involved with six 11 week old babies who are looking for a furever home. :) I also have it on good authority that Phoozles is looking for a home for one, hopefully both, of her sweet angels. They are adorable and would love to go to a furever home together. And L4H is fostering a motherless bunch right now. They are also very very adorable. You just want to squish them all!!
Phoozles may be a little, teeny bit far away but I am sure transportation could be arranged. L4H is fostering so you would have to go through the organization. As for mine...you just have to go through me!! (Maybe the hardest one of the bunch) ;)

phoozles
June 23rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
It's true - it's kitten season right now, so that's the real reason we were concerned - I simply wanted to offer advice, not attack you in any way - you did a great thing looking after the momma, and we all know around here that caring for strays becomes a snowball effect - especially if you live where I do, where they are just left outside to multiply :frustrated:

As 14+ has mentioned, all three of us have a nice variety of kittens to choose from, with pictures on the photography section of this forum, so keep us posted if you are interested! :thumbs up