Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I booked her for her spay

jealma
June 13th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Abby and I went to the vet today to book her in for her spaying. She's going in Tuesday morning. They said they do surgury's in the mornings till 1 p.m , than she stays overnight and I can come get her in the morning. Well I"m not a trouble maker but after 6 the clinic is empty,, yes they have someone come in to take the dogs for a piddle at 11 p.m ( I think,), but I feel Abby will get more care at home. So I have stated that I am going to pick her up after recovery. They said that was ok, long as I promised to look after her??? I found that a little funny since the only reason I want her home is because she'll have someone watching her all night. Anyways.. my tummy is turning and I just hate the idea of her having surgury, but I know this is the best thing to do. Is everyone else this crazy stressed over getting their pet fixed? I'm starting to feel like a crazy pet person.

BusterBoo
June 13th, 2008, 08:39 PM
:D No...you are being a normal pet owner (IMO)!

If your Vet will allow Abby to come home after her spay, and if there are no complications and you are given any meds she might need, then I say bring her home! Personally, I have never left a dog overnight with at the Vet's for a spay/neuter.

Bring Abby home, be prepared to spend a few extra hours up if she is stressed or has any pain, but in my opinion, if she is healthy, she is better off at home!

Frenchy
June 13th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Personally , I wouldn't. I had many pets (mine and fosters) spayed / neutered / other surgeries. My vet always keep them overnight and I feel my animals are safer this way , they get to rest/sleep , since they're in a kennel , they can't move too much which is good for the first 24 hours. :shrug: Just an example , when my Sam had his second biopsy , he stayed at the vet overnight , next day they had to re do one of his stitches , practical as he was already at the vet !!

ancientgirl
June 13th, 2008, 09:00 PM
From what I've read it's normal to take pets home after spay or neuter. My vet's office is also a 24 hour clinic, and they kept all of my gang overnight. I have to say, I felt a lot more comfortable knowing they'd have someone there who could care for them in case they had any problems. You might just have to keep a closer watch to make sure she's not in any pain, but I'm sure she will be fine.

BusterBoo
June 13th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Just to clarify........if there was someone at the Vet's 24/7 I would definitely leave my pet for the overnight, but if it is a clinic that closes and only has someone go in for a potty break, I would bring my pet home. sorry, just can't stand the thought of my doggy alone, in a strange place, with no human around.... (JMHO) :shrug:

twodogos
June 13th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I just went thru this on wednesday. I spoke to the vet the week before and said that i wasnt comfortable with Cadence staying overnight all alone when i could take better care of her at home. She said it was fine and i picked her up at 5:30 and brought her home. She slept most of the evening and all night without a problem. I was home with her part of thursday then crated her and my kids were home a few hours later. The biggest problem we have is keeping her from jumping around and trying to wrestle with our other dog. Just try to keep her as calm as possible and from jumping around (pretty hard to do) and just keep an eye on her incision and make sure its not red and oozing.
Good luck.
Another paranoid mommy Kellie

the gang
June 13th, 2008, 10:02 PM
as you all know i work rescue and have 5-- min pins, the last one baby lecus i got from s p c a at only 3 months she went to get fixed at my reg vet, i was a basketcase, but brought her home the same night and i did not leave her side, i have a 24hr vet that is great, so we cuddled all night and i did what she needed, hope this helps brenda and the pins.

jealma
June 15th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Thank you all. My vet isn't 24 hours, and she would be alone. I am a little nervous about bringing her home, I"m no nurse, but I intend to keep her as quiet as possible.

Thank you for that advice on the stitches, I will do that for sure. I am going to ask if the vet is going to send her anything home for pain too. I feel silly worrying so, I know they do this all the time. I'd just be so lost if anything happened to Abby

ancientgirl
June 15th, 2008, 07:38 PM
When I picked up all of my gang from their S/N, they sent me home with pain medication for several days, so yeah definitely make sure you get stuff for her.

Frenchy
June 15th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I know lots of people don't like this but , if you want to keep her calm and make sure she doesn't lick her stitches , put the dreaded cone on her.

Masha
June 15th, 2008, 08:47 PM
:goodvibes: For Abby!!

I am with you 100% on taking her home the same day, especially if they dont have anyone there after hours. It is less stressful at home...

Jermy is going in for his Neuter in a week and his Vet said that there is no point keeping him there as they dont have anyone there overnight and because this surgery is considered very minor. Dont worry, i know plenty of people who picked up their pups the same day, they just had to watch them so that they dont bother the stitches.

Good luck!!

Love4himies
June 16th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I have never allowed my cats to stay at the vets overnight after a spay/neuter. I just like to have them at home where I can keep an eye on them during the night.

My fosters stay the night, I don't have a choice with them because they are not mime:sad:

DoubleRR
June 16th, 2008, 08:23 AM
The dreaded cone is a godsend for post surgery of any kind.

jealma
June 17th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I phoned the vets around 5:15 too see how Abby was and if she could come home. I am proud I was able to hold off that phone call so long. Well Abby is home. She's pretty tired out, and the first thing she did when I put her down was try to lick at her stiches so I hate to but it will be the cone when I don't can't give 100% of my attention to her. So now I guess I have 14 days of nurseing to keep me busy. Don't get wet,, going to be a tough one cause her belly is so low to the ground when she goes out in the morning the dew gets her, but I'll try to think up something. Maybe time to get knitting needles out and make a band? Thank you all for the concern and the advice and support,, I"ve been so worried about having this done.

kimnmark
June 17th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Glad to hear her surgery went well and that she is home safe with you as her nurse.:)

ancientgirl
June 17th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Yay for Abby! I'm glad she's home safe and sound. Can you maybe wrap a little towel or t-shirt type thing around her just when she goes out in the morning? Then inside you can just take it off.

BusterBoo
June 17th, 2008, 06:12 PM
:thumbs up Glad to hear Abby's home and doing well!!!! I am sure it will be a challenge to keep her from licking the stitches, especially when her fur starts growing back in.

If you can do what ancientgirl recommends.....a little t-shirt can help a lot! Might want to get a couple incase she wets one when she goes out for potty.

I think it's harder on us humans than on our dogs! :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
June 17th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I phoned the vets around 5:15 too see how Abby was and if she could come home. I am proud I was able to hold off that phone call so long. Well Abby is home. She's pretty tired out, and the first thing she did when I put her down was try to lick at her stiches so I hate to but it will be the cone when I don't can't give 100% of my attention to her. So now I guess I have 14 days of nurseing to keep me busy. Don't get wet,, going to be a tough one cause her belly is so low to the ground when she goes out in the morning the dew gets her, but I'll try to think up something. Maybe time to get knitting needles out and make a band? Thank you all for the concern and the advice and support,, I"ve been so worried about having this done.

Glad to hear she came through the surgery so well! Did they send home pain meds to help her stay comfortable?

Don't be afraid of the Dreaded Elizabethan Collar--it really comes in handy and they get the hang of walking, drinking and eating with it pretty quick. She'll give you the pathetic 'oh, woe is me' look but she'll do okay. And if it keeps her from licking the stitches, the incision will heal so much faster!

As for dew, we always used a small shirt for the first few days out, but after that, if her belly gets dewy, just take a dry towel and pat the incision dry. As long as it doesn't get really soaked (as in 'swimming' soaked) it should be okay.

:goodvibes: for a speedy recovery for Abby!

Frenchy
June 17th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I'm glad Abby is back home and doing well ! :thumbs up I did put a t-shirt on Daisy once :laughing: it was stricly for stitches reasons :D

jealma
June 18th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Great Ideas for keeping that low to the ground belly dry. They did not send home pain med. They told me they actaully want her a little uncomfortable so she knows things hurt and it will keep her from being so quick to jump and run. The dreaded cone thing does make me feel like a big meannie,, but I know it is really for her good,, so I'll suffer through the big meannie part. Although they did say for 14 days, that's a long time for a softy to be a big meannie

lotus
June 18th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Hope Abby is feeling better today, still a bit sleepy I bet.
My vet wants the pets to go home the same day he says it's less stressful for them.

jealma
June 18th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Abby has slept a lot of the day. She won't seem to go pee outside unless I take the cone off though. With the cone on she just sits down,, once I took the cone off she sniffed around and did her business. Only pee's today, but I'm guessing that is from the lack of food yesterday. My only concern is that she hasn't eatten or drank today. Last night she was hungry, but I limited her intake because I was told too much might make her sick,, that makes sense, but today she hasn't had any interest in food or water. I even took the cone off to make it easier for her to get to. I can understand her sleeping most of the day,, But how long should she go with no interest in her food? The lack of water intake is what concerns me more though.

katherine93
June 18th, 2008, 01:55 PM
She may still feel funny because of the anesthetic(i know i didnt spell it right..lol) That would explain the sleeping, and the food/water.. And she is in pain, and when im in pain i like to go to sleep and get away from it all. ..hope she feels better soon!:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
June 18th, 2008, 01:55 PM
She should have her appetite back by tonight. If she doesn't, give the vet a call.

Do you have any broth? Just plain chicken broth mixed into her water might tempt her to drink, and spur her appetite as well. If you don't have any plain broth, try a little chicken noodle soup. Mix it with water though since it's so salty.

TeriM
June 18th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I agree with trying some broth and if possible leave the cone off if you can monitor. My friend bought some infant undershirts for her small dog which fit great to prevent her from licking the stiches.

Hope she feels better soon :goodvibes::goodvibes:.

jealma
June 18th, 2008, 03:07 PM
We'll be having supper in 2 hours and I'll try a little broth at that time unless she decides to have some of her own. TERI what a wonderful Idea. I dont have clothes for Abby, my hubby kind of frowns on dressing up the dog,, although I have ordered her a life jacket, a safety harness for the car and,, ( a rain coat hehehehe) I have baby undershirts in my house,, never even thought of them. I went digging in the grandchildrens clothes that I keep here and found a new little undershirt they never had used. It fits abby great. I put it on her so the snaps are on her back. I am only hoping it is long enough that she doesn't lift it to get at the stitches.. so far she's only pulled on the sleeve a little,, she really isn't doing much of anything. but I figure I can just roll it up a little before I take her out for a piddle.. I'll let you know how supper works out and the undershirt too.. Maybe I should have the camera ready to take a picture of my husbands face when he see's Abby in an undershirt ( backwards at that ) :-) you guys are great.

cpietra16
June 18th, 2008, 03:13 PM
There was someone just recently who put a cut out knee high nylon sock on her cat so that her babies don't nurse..maybe it can help you too...well not you but your Abby

jealma
June 18th, 2008, 07:27 PM
She now has the undershirt on, but I"m still keeping an eye on her. She did manage to eat but only from my hand so I"d say she managed to eat 1/3 cup of food,, so that is pretty good compaired to nothing, and my guess would be 1/2 cup of water .. maybe a bit more :-) I took her picture. She is not looking her best,, but she is on the mend.....

BusterBoo
June 18th, 2008, 07:39 PM
:lovestruck: Abby is precious!!!!! Sure hope the little shirt works...but I know that you will be keeping an eye on her, so I am sure she will be just fine!

Such a cutie!!!! :cloud9:

ancientgirl
June 18th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I'm glad she's doing better. She looks adorable with her little shirt:lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
June 18th, 2008, 08:46 PM
She looks very bright-eyed, anyway! And great that she was able to eat something! :thumbs up She's such a cutie! :D

Frenchy
June 18th, 2008, 09:11 PM
That shirt suits her pretty well !! :thumbs up

kimnmark
June 19th, 2008, 06:47 AM
:cloud9: She looks too sweet in her little shirt.
I'm sure she'll be back to her old self in no time.

Love4himies
June 19th, 2008, 06:53 AM
She is just a little precious sweetie :lovestruck::cloud9:. I love the undershirt.

How is she doing today?

jealma
June 19th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Abby didn't sleep well last night, not sure if it was cause she didn't like the cone or was unhappy about not being in our bed, or what the scoop was,, but I'll tell you 5:30 is pretty early for someone ( ME) who doesn't get up till after 8. She still isn't eatting out of her bowl but will eat out of my hand so she's had 1/4 cup of kibble and some water. I have let her go to her favorite spot,, in with the boots to sleep. It's out of site but she has her cone on,,,,, well so I thought, I just went into the kitchen and she was laying there quite comfy, and no cone on. It's now replaced and she's looking sad again,, but I did let her stay with the boots :-)

hazelrunpack
June 19th, 2008, 01:35 PM
She's still a bit sore. The sting will go away in another day or so, then the itching will begin. That's actually the time they get the sneakiest...when they heal enough for the incision to be itchy...so don't let her fool you. :D She's gonna get licky... :dog:

Another few days and she'll be back to her old self :thumbs up The first few days are always the most stressful for mommies so just hang in there. :grouphug: