Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poll: How Many Pets Do You Have?

thekatzmeow
June 13th, 2008, 08:10 PM
:grouphug: Hi ~ again I'm new here!! :goodvibes: In my two days of skimming the various threads ~ it seems like many of you own several pets. Just out of curiosity -- for all who want to answer this question -- how many pets do you own?? (I know some list this in your profiles, but others don't.) I have one 1-year-old cat and have recently considered getting a kitten. Some say cats like to be the only cat in the house in order to get their master's full attention. While others say that cats are happier having the company of at least one other cat. Again, I'm aware that each cat is different from the next -- but I'm interested in knowing what is working for all of you cat-lovers out there. Thanks in advance for any and all responses!! :goodvibes: :highfive:

hazelrunpack
June 13th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I love cats...don't have any, though. Too many dogs around this place! :laughing:

Winston
June 13th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I have 2 cats and 1 dog! Welcome to pets.ca! My cats are brother and sister rescued! I think any intro can work as long as its done correctly!

Good Luck!

ancientgirl
June 13th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Hi, and welcome to the board.

I recently added my 5th kitty. After not having cats since high school, because I'd grown allergic to them, I started taking allergy medication and adopted a 14 weeks old male in April of 2007, who I named Vlad. I had him for about 2 weeks when I thought he might want some company while I was at work. I then adopted a 12 week old female kitty, Oksana. I had Vlad and Oksana until about November of 2007, when I found a brother and sister, Maks and Kiska at a vets office. I had the 4 until I decided to try and bring in a stray that lives in my apartment complex. That didn't work out, but I'm trying it again and I've not got her inside in solitary until she gets used to the indoor life.

I think having just one cat is fine, but to me it's much better to give them a playmate. I think your current kitty might like the company while your gone. I spend as much time with my gang as I can, but they also come to me individually when they feel the need for some alone time with mom.

14+kitties
June 13th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Oh oh - ummmmmm. I will answer the second part. You are considering getting another kitty. Please do. :D Most kitties love having company. They may not know it at first but they do.
I just recently heard one country (Sweden, Switzerland, somewhere over there) has passed a law you can not only adopt one cat. You have to take two. I think that is very neat! Even better if it's true!!!

russte
June 13th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I have 2 golden retrievers, they are sisters from the same litter, they are 3years old. Went to pickup our new puppy and came home with two! :crazy: russte (Welcome to the forum)

Winston
June 13th, 2008, 08:34 PM
14+ tell her how many you really have! the truth! (careful you may fall over!!) :laughing:

Cindy

BusterBoo
June 13th, 2008, 08:35 PM
At this time, I only have one doggie Buster.......My Harley died last august and I am sooooooon close to getting Buster a little brother....just have to wait for the right time and to find the right little doggie!

Definitely......the more the merrier! :D

aslan
June 13th, 2008, 08:36 PM
welcome to the forum,,, my fuzzy family so far includes 2 dogs and a chinchilla..and i agree 2 cats are better than 1

DougG
June 13th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I have three Himalayan cats - it's like having three scampy little teddy bears in the house. Wonderful animals. :lovestruck:

Frenchy
June 13th, 2008, 08:41 PM
4 dogs and 2 cats .... omg , writing it down just made me realize .... somebody stop me :laughing: no Hazel , not you :laughing:

welcome to the board thekatzmeow , and I agree , 2 cats are better than one.

14+kitties
June 13th, 2008, 08:57 PM
14+ tell her how many you really have! the truth! (careful you may fall over!!) :laughing:

Cindy

What if I can't remember? :o
Let's see - 15 in the catuary. 2 ferals plus 7 kitties in the house. (I caught one of the feral babies today), 1 "housecat". 3 other ferals outside that I figure are mine cause they have been here long enough. Just can't get near the little darlin's. At least 2 other kittens, maybe 3. 2 dogs, 2 lovebirds, and an aquarium with 12 or so fishies.
Did I miss anyone?

Winston
June 13th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Dont mind her she has a little problem!! :laughing: just kidding 14++++!

Frenchy
June 13th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Dont mind her she has a little problem!! :laughing: just kidding 14++++!

:laughing:

and notice that Hazel hasn't mentioned any numbers .... :D

14+kitties
June 13th, 2008, 09:19 PM
A little problem? :D

thekatzmeow
June 13th, 2008, 09:29 PM
What if I can't remember? :o
Let's see - 15 in the catuary. 2 ferals plus 7 kitties in the house. (I caught one of the feral babies today), 1 "housecat". 3 other ferals outside that I figure are mine cause they have been here long enough. Just can't get near the little darlin's. At least 2 other kittens, maybe 3. 2 dogs, 2 lovebirds, and an aquarium with 12 or so fishies.
Did I miss anyone?

:rolleyes: As I said, I'm still standing!! You must be a great Mom!! :thumbs up

Thanks to all else who are responding!

JanM
June 14th, 2008, 09:05 AM
My crew is 2 Goldens and 1 cat. These three keep me hopping! Shadow (the cat) and Bobby and Amber get along just great - Shadow uses the dogs to head butt and rub himself under their chins.

Whether dogs or cats I do believe having at least two is a good thing - they do keep each other company.

hazelrunpack
June 14th, 2008, 09:12 AM
:laughing:

and notice that Hazel hasn't mentioned any numbers .... :D

Well now that 14+kitties has fessed up, I look positively sane (:angel:) when I say I only have eight dogs...even if my English Setters do outweigh her kitties by a few pounds... :o

:D No cats, though, thekatzmeow...

kimnmark
June 14th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Currently 3 dogs and 1 cat. We've usually always had 2-3 cats in the past though. Since becoming an only kitty my cat is forever cuddling up with the dogs. IMO cats love company.:)

Sylvie
June 14th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I have 3 of my own dogs, German Shepherd, German Shepherd and Siberian cross and a Golden Retreiver. Also have a foster German Shepherd. No kitties with my guys. I think it would be a free for all.

People at work think I am :crazy: because I have 4 large dogs. The joke is on them, because they are crazy because they don't have any animals. :shrug: They don't know what they are missing. :laughing:

Frenchy
June 14th, 2008, 10:14 AM
People at work think I am :crazy: because I have 4 large dogs. The joke is on them, because they are crazy because they don't have any animals. :shrug: They don't know what they are missing. :laughing:

People at work always ask me : so how many do you have NOW ? :laughing:

Should I say 3 1/4 ? Since Chloe is so small compare to the others :laughing:

Kashi
June 14th, 2008, 10:21 AM
We're positively lonely around here in comparison !

We've got :

1 small dog
1 small cat
2 small rodents (gerbils)
1 medium aquarium (33 gal) with about 7 fish in it.

Sylvie
June 14th, 2008, 10:27 AM
People at work always ask me : so how many do you have NOW ? :laughing:

Should I say 3 1/4 ? Since Chloe is so small compare to the others :laughing:

My favourite comment is why do you have so many dogs? My comeback is why do you have so many children? Some laugh and some look at me like I have lost my mind. You know they could be right :laughing:

Sylvie
June 14th, 2008, 10:29 AM

We've got :

1 small dog
1 small cat

You are never alone with at least one pet :D

hazelrunpack
June 14th, 2008, 10:37 AM
My favourite comment is why do you have so many dogs? My comeback is why do you have so many children? Some laugh and some look at me like I have lost my mind. You know they could be right :laughing:

I dont' have to answer questions like that. No one ever comes over. :o :laughing: I wonder why? :crazy:

Frenchy
June 14th, 2008, 10:38 AM

We've got :

1 small dog
1 small cat

I have found that it's more work having different species .... like if you only have dogs , preparing meals is faster , poop patrolling ... compare to cats and dogs , different meals , poop patrolling outside then clean the litter .... so I would consider having 1 dog , 1 cat , rodents , fishes ... is more work than having let's say 4 dogs. :shrug: IMO

I did consider fostering a bunny but for me , it would be more work than fostering another dog.

Kashi
June 14th, 2008, 10:52 AM

We've got :

1 small dog
1 small cat

Oh - add to that, 3 young children (1, 3, and 5 yrs old), and a husband ;)

Bluedrake
June 14th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I have three domestic cats here, all girls! The real fun though is when I bring the whole gang to visit my parents, who have two dogs...:evil:

I guess I'm still far from the title of crazy cat lady. :laughing:

Magicwildwolf69
June 14th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I have three cats two almost 4 year olds (end of july) who are brother and sister. Went to get one came home with two. Added another kitten last july to the mix after we lost one cat to leukemia. It was interesting the kitten had to be socialized with people. The two females don't really get along so i would suggest if you get another kitty try the opposite sex seems to work as the male and the female kitten have bonded.
Though my vet thinks I'm crazy he says cats are solitary animals don't really like having company...i wondering if he has just dogs :laughing:

rainbow
June 14th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I have two dogs and two cats. :pawprint:

wdawson
June 14th, 2008, 02:19 PM
three dogs and three cats here.......lab cross , beagle and a jack along with the three cats.

Toonces
June 14th, 2008, 02:51 PM
We have 3 dogs Currie and Brandy litter mates we adoped when they were one and a half, Petey who we were fostering but adopted he is aprox 5, Toonces my cat who will be 23 this yr, Emma our kitty who is 5 and Wilbur our bunny who is 3. Pets I would love to add would be a few donkeys, goats and a african grey parrot (yes I am out of control):rolleyes:

Magicwildwolf69
June 14th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Forgot to add that i have a 33 gallon cubed tank with various fish

Shaykeija
June 14th, 2008, 09:36 PM
3 dogs, 2 Beta's, 1 fat cat.

clm
June 14th, 2008, 10:33 PM
2 dogs
4 cats
1 cockatiel
7 fancy goldies in indoor aquarium
7 koi in outdoor pond

Cindy

Joeyjoejoe
June 15th, 2008, 12:12 AM
2 cats. Since they do everything together and share everything, it really seems like I only have one cat... with two heads!

growler~GateKeeper
June 15th, 2008, 12:35 AM
I've got 1 :lovestruck: Tortie grrl :cat: she's 17 years old :D

DoubleRR
June 15th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Not near as many as I used to!
Let's see, two dogs, one horse, one cat, one budgie, one corn snake, and 8 fish between two 30 gal aquariums.

Purpledomino
June 15th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Four dogs....divided into two groups, the big dogs and the little dogs. Big dogs being the Dane, and Bullmastiff...little guys are both Minpins that OWN everyone else. Three horses, two bunnies, and a 60 gallon aquarium with lots of fish that I haven't counted. I must be crazy cuz I ALWAYS want more! :crazy:

jealma
June 15th, 2008, 07:11 PM
:shrug:Wow I"m feeling very out numbered. I have one little girl Abby the shih tzu. She's 6 months old. Around here one isn't very many ,,, guess I can't count putting up with my husband as a pet? Didn't think so,, oh well :-)

HelenNutmeg
June 15th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Well I have 3 of my own basset hounds.. 4 rescued feral cats.. 2 rescued cockatiels.. plus most of the time rescued bassets as I run basset hound rescue quebec.

krdahmer
June 15th, 2008, 10:12 PM
6 kitties: 2 grey tabbies, two tuxedos, an orange tabby and a torty

and 5 fish: 3 goldfish and a plecko in my tank
and 1 lonely Parrotfish in hubby's, (for now had to give away his partner because s/he was eating him.

Chris21711
June 16th, 2008, 09:53 AM
4 Dogs, 2 Cats, 6 Birds and 1 Bunny and this great urge to have more. :D

sugarcatmom
June 16th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Just one geriatric diabetic arthritic kitty. He had a brother that died almost 4 years ago and they were very close, but he's not too keen on other cats and at this point in his life, I wouldn't want to put him through the stress of a newcomer. Plus, he's enough work on his own!

katherine93
June 16th, 2008, 12:17 PM
10 dogs, 11 cats, 1 horse, 3 mice, 4 rats,2 bunnies,1 Mini Goat(fostering)..And lots of fishies! :D FUNNY FARM!!!!!

Purpledomino
June 16th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Well I have 3 of my own basset hounds.. 4 rescued feral cats.. 2 rescued cockatiels.. plus most of the time rescued bassets as I run basset hound rescue quebec.

I just wanted to say that I found a stray basset that was in danger of getting squished on our rural road. He had a readable tattoo in one of his beautiful enormous ears, so he went to the animal control. He was reunited with his owner shortly after. HE is the reason I want another......in the short time he was with me, I absolutely fell in LOVE :cloud9: What a sweet dog, if he is indicative of how all bassets are.....I want one! Bravo to you for rescuing these wonderful dogs. :dog:

phoozles
June 16th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I've got two resident cats - one 9 years and one little :evil: that's about 10 months old..

And now I've got a regular cattery going on (just kidding, 14+ - that's your department) and have a stray momma (Ethel) and her three kittens in the house. By the way, are you looking for a kitten? ;) :laughing: My fiancÚ is terrified that we have become crazy cat people.. I told him it could get much worse! (again, no offence 14+) :laughing:

14+kitties
June 16th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I've got two resident cats - one 9 years and one little :evil: that's about 10 months old..

And now I've got a regular cattery going on (just kidding, 14+ - that's your department) and have a stray momma (Ethel) and her three kittens in the house. By the way, are you looking for a kitten? ;) :laughing: My fiancÚ is terrified that we have become crazy cat people.. I told him it could get much worse! (again, no offence 14+) :laughing:

Gee thanks guys!!!! I am so glad that when you guys tell your hubbies "things could get worse" it's my name that's brought up!! I hope it's in a good way!
After that video sugarcatmom posted about the lady from California with her 500 to 700 cats plus dogs I look pretty tame! meorrwwwwww!!!!!!!

BillITPro
June 16th, 2008, 09:52 PM
2 indoor Fuzzy Beasts (Read Cats) about 18-20 fish in my pond and 7-9 feral fuzzy beasts I take care of but usually just the regular 7 the other two come and go all the time

Bill
PS If I had the money I'd have more animals:thumbs up

Lise
June 17th, 2008, 07:56 AM
We've got 3 dogs,2 cats,2 african greys,turtle,gecko,rat,degu,guinea pig,2 cockatiels,2 pigeons,3 aviaries of finches(not sure how many),4 aquariums inside.Outside 5 horses,pony,mule,2 bunnies,4 peacocks,7 guineas,3 ducks,8 chickens.I think that's everyone.Plus fosters coming and going.

hazelrunpack
June 17th, 2008, 08:21 AM
See? I'm beginning to look absolutely sane here with just the 8 dogs! :angel:

:D

Love4himies
June 17th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I own 3 cats, currently fostering 4 kittens and babysitting my two grand kitties, total of 9 cats in my house.

Frenchy
June 17th, 2008, 11:35 AM
See? I'm beginning to look absolutely sane here with just the 8 dogs! :angel:

:D

:laughing: I still don't think so :laughing: :crazy:

lotus
June 17th, 2008, 11:54 AM
2 dogs and several fish.

TeriM
June 17th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I have two dogs and two cats. One of my cats would probably be quite content being the only animal but she copes well and tolerates the rest of the crew with fairly minor complaining. The other cat loves the company of the dogs and the two cats have a fairly respectful arrangement together. They basically ignore each other for the most part but occassionally do run around and play. I like having the two, even if we aren't at home I know they are never alone.

Stacer
June 17th, 2008, 08:10 PM
We've got 2 lovely felines and 1 pretty pup. All rescued and absolutely perfect.

5isenough
June 18th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Ok I have to fess up I have 5 cats. Now the intention over the last 10 years was to have 2. But When I met my hubby he had 1 and I had 2. So we had his and hers and we needed ours. So I got another cutie pie for ours. At that point we had 4. Then we had the smart idea to start fostering.........Yeah right.....Ended up with 6. Finally found a family for our 2 fosters.....down to 4 again thennn winter came a little cutie pie was in the freezing cold outside....Let her in the house thinking we will find her a home....We are not keeping her ....Yeah right....So back up to 5. Then we realized we really missed the fosters that had found families...And one of the foster family needed someone to cat sit for a few months in between houses then seeing how much we were enjoying her they gave her back to us....Yes yes I know at this point we are back to 6..... Saddly our older cats started (first 3) were getting older and older and we lost 2 over the last 2 years. They passed away so we were back to 4 ....Then as life would have it .....I found a kitty on the side of the road and..........once again we are back to 5....and 5 is enough....until number 6 shows up on our door step.

My kitties are all from different litters but get along very well. And honestly nothing feel better on a cold winter evening watching TV, fireplace on and kitties cuddle galore:grouphug:. Kitties all over our laps, shoulders, couch....

So as you can see I do think kitties are like potatoe chips....You cant just have one!

hazelrunpack
June 18th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Ahhhh.... a kindred spirit, 5isenough! Only hazel's vice is dogs, not kitties! :D Fostering didn't work for us, either. :o

thekatzmeow
June 19th, 2008, 02:45 PM
:cool: Hell, my indecision as to whether or not to add a second cat seems a bit frivolous at this point!!!

thekatzmeow
June 19th, 2008, 02:51 PM
:cool: Hell, my indecision as to whether or not to add a second cat to my household seems a bit frivolous at this point!! :rolleyes:

thekatzmeow
June 23rd, 2008, 03:33 PM
:cat: I didn't mean to post twice up there! Alright, just making it official: I've added a kitten to my already existing cat....for a grand total of two!! It seems like they are going to be best pals!! :cat:

Melinda
June 23rd, 2008, 03:38 PM
one dog, one chinchilla, 4 rescue guinea pigs, one tank of feeder goldfish, 4 seperate tanks of male betta's....................thats it for this week *L* but as for next week? who knows.

princessmom
June 24th, 2008, 03:49 PM
My hubby & I have 2 dogs, Duchess 14 yrs and Tigger 3 yrs, and 1 cat, Puddin 11 weeks. We got Duchess when she was 6 weeks. Tigger was a stray that adopted us, and have had her for 2 yrs. We went to animal shelter and got Puddin 4 weeks ago.