Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Separation Anxiety and Peeing

torontomec
June 13th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I have a chihuahua/jack russel cross. He has a few things going on. He's hyperattached to me and will start shaking and eventually pee in the apartment once I'm gone.

Finally I have put him on medication, and that is helping a lot. Prior attempts at crate training had been a disaster with him hurting himself.

In discussions with my vet, we thought it was time to start putting him in a new and better-built crate (he freed up a bar and impaled it through the web of his toes) and put him in at night time when we are all together in my bedroom.

He's pretty good, except he pees in the crate if I put anything soft in it. I have no idea what to do. I read about getting a liner that is not absorbent, but I have no idea where to get something like that.

Also, ever since there was major construction work on my building with ots of loud jack hammering, he has never been the same. Even the my cell phone message waiting beep is enough to send him shaking, or a particular sound the computer makes.

I did do a quick search to look at other related threads.

anna14
June 17th, 2008, 10:34 AM
The best and quickest results for solving separation anxiety is to completely ignore the dog for about 1-2 weeks, depending on how bad it is. In your case, it seems pretty bad. So the only attention that the dog will get is when you take him outside to do his business and when you feed him. It will be hard, especially for us humans who need a dogs affection, but I assure you it will work and fast. When he is scared the last thing you should do is give him any type of consolation or attention. This is rewarding the fearful behavior. When you put him in his crate, put in toys that he only gets when he's in his crate! As soon as he's out, hide them. That way, he will associate the cage with the best toys and the only time he can get them. So no talking, petting, playing, or even looking at the dog for a while. His independence will flourish quickly.
Good luck!

TeriM
June 17th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I know there are several excellent books on handling seperation anxiety that you could consider. Do a search here for seperation anxiety and you should find some excellent advice. A dog behavoirist is also an excellent resource that you should use if you are able.

You might want to consider getting a larger crate for leaving him in that you could put a small litter box at one end of? I would start with putting him in the crate when you are at home for a few minutes at a time, step out of the room and slowly work up to longer times. I would also encourage you to use a tv or radio to help cover the external noises that might bother him.

Good luck.