Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on my dog Max

MarleneW
June 13th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I posted in the emergency forum a couple weeks ago, about my dog Max, and some shaking, as well as an ear infection, that he was having. I had him to the vet, and the vet said that Max may have food allergies. I was feeding him Ol Roy brand, from Wal-Mart, as his current food. I buy different ones each time, I thought this was good for him, and my other dog, to vary thier diet. The price is not the thing I was thinking of. It was the variation. In any case, the Doctor said that Ol Roy is made with junk, mostly, and dyes, that may be hurting Max. He asked if Max was scooting his bum, and chewing his paws. Max scooted his bum this morning, right before his vet visit. He sometimes chews his paws, but I thought that was for his nails, so I didn't think more about it.

I am really beating myself up over the food thing. I really thought variation was good for them. Perhaps it is, but not with the cheaper brands, because of the dyes they use, and preservatives, etc. I am throwing out the stuff I had here. I don't even want to give it to the SPCA, I don't want any other animals getting sick from it. I bought Max, and his brother Chance, Pedigree Healthy Vitality, and if this does not help, I will buy Eukanuba, or Iams, maybe even Science Diet. The vet feels Max will get better, on beter quality food, and if not, he will need tests, to determine what is wrong for sure.

he said there is no wax buildup in his ears, but one was very red, and one was slightly red, so he just thinks it is allergies. I had no idea. I feel so bad right now. He prescribed Surolan ear drops for Max, 2 times a day, for a week, and if after one month on better food, he is not better, we will have to take him back for tests. He also prescribed deworming pills for both him, and Chance, in case this might be the bum scooting problem. I feel so bad for laughing at them when they do it. :( It looks funny, but apparently, it has something to do with a more serious problem, than just an itchy bum. :(

I will let you all know how Max does. :)

BusterBoo
June 13th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Glad you are looking into a better food for Max! You might want to check the feed section on this board, lots of good information on what's good for your dog and what isn't. IMO switching foods isn't a good thing, you can't tell if your pup is having a reaction to any one ingredient. Try one food for a few weeks and if it doesn't work, the gradually switch. (Gradual could take 3-4 weeks)

My Harley had bad stinky ears and I used Surolan and it worked wonders! Try and keep Max's ears dry (sorry, can't remember what breed he is). Some of the dogs with long, floppy ears are more prone to ear/yeast infections.

Good luck on the hunt for a good food, so many choices!!! :fingerscr

MarleneW
June 13th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Max is a terrier poodle mix, I think. I cannot be sure, he is a mixed breed. The vet recommended just switching him from the Ol Roy, as it is most likely the problem. I hope it is all fixed, because I want him to feel better! I don't just want him healthy, I want him happy too! In any case, he and Chance really loved the Pedigree food they had for thier supper. :) I gave Max his first drops tonight, but before he got them, he saw the bottle, and ran away. lol. It was very cute. I had to crawl under the table to get the drops in his ears. What a week this will be. lol.[br]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/MarleneW/Personal%20Pics/SUNP0103.jpg

Winston
June 13th, 2008, 08:24 PM
MarleneW why dont you have a look through our food section for advice! There is alot to learn about good quality dog food...Ol Roy is most definately not good food...I can honestly say putting my dog on GOOD quality food made a world of difference and kept me out of the vets office!

Hes such a cutie!

Cindy

BusterBoo
June 13th, 2008, 08:31 PM
:lovestruck: Max is soooo very cute!

For the ear drops.....I had to bribe my dogs to be able to give them the drops. Have a treat close by, make it a positive...it only takes a second to apply the drops, then a treat. Give him an "ear massage" and he will learn to accept.

As for food, each dog is different...there are lots of good commercial dog food out there! does Max like any "human" food for treats (broccoli, apples, cheese)? Have you thought about getting allergy tests done to see what he might be allergic to?

It's a lot of work to keep our doggies healthy and happy, but well worth it! :D

MarleneW
June 16th, 2008, 03:55 AM
he he. that picture of my baby Max was taken a couple of years ago, after he had a bath, and he was giving me serious attitude. (He's known for this, but he's a gentle dog, he just gives me hard looks, when he is mad with me. lol) As for the food, if the pedigree does not work, he is going to have to go on something else, like beneful, or something of that nature. The reason I picked Pedigree first, is he used to have that kind before, and liked it. In any case, don't switch your dogs food, because a documentary says its a good idea. :yell: