- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

How much & How often

June 13th, 2008, 02:41 PM

My puppy is 4 months old. We have been feeding her 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening, but still she keeps on roaming around my wife for more food, only to her. She feeds her in the morning and I feed her in the evening.

Is it enough? or are we starving her! Some say just leave the food out as a buffet and they can eat whenever they are hungry! We only feed her kibbles. she is around 25/28lbs now. Occasionally she gets apples and carrots as well to chew on.

June 13th, 2008, 02:56 PM
what type of dog? different breeds have different nutritional requirements.

for example, when 4 mths old, my dog (basenji-X) was fed 2x a day (although we initially tried 3x - breakfast, lunch, dinner) my dog never liked to eat in the mornings though, so we cut him back to just 2 meals a day plus whatever we used for training treats. Now my dog is 3yrs old, and only eats one meal a day - kibble mixed w/ a couple tablespoons of quality wet food or homecooked food (in addition to a few daily treats).

You can add more food in a different way, other than kibble in a bowl. i.e. - make the pup a puppy KONG. you can layer in all sorts of good stuff - kibble included. the KONG company has recipes that come with the KONG toys, and they have recipes on their website.

June 13th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I'm not a fan of free-feeding at all. A lot of dogs will overeat, and you don't have any clue how much they're eating during the day.

Every dog is going to need a different amount of food. The directions on the bag are a very good starting point, but you have to adjust up or down depending on the dog's body condition. For example, we have two dogs about 55 lbs eats 1.5 cups a day, the other eats 3 cups a day.

When you have a pup, it's a little different, because a pup's body condition will be a bit different from an's ok for them to be a little on the softer side. What breed is she? Puppies also have smaller tummies than adult dogs and often do better on 3-4 smaller meals a day rather than 1 or 2. I'd probably start with changing the frequency of the meals before adjusting the amount of food you're giving.