- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

When can I stop giving my puppy milk?

June 13th, 2008, 04:33 AM
I picked up King alittle early the mother stopped weening the puppies and they were eating on there own anyways they told me that I should feed King milk which I have been but when do I stop can I stop now that he is 8 weeks old?

June 13th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I assume it is puppy nursing milk, not cow's milk.

I am not familiar with puppies, only kittens but I am sure somebody will be along shortly that can answer your question.

June 13th, 2008, 09:50 AM
English setter pups at least are often weaned by 4 or 5 weeks, so I suspect you can discontinue the milk. Pups should stay with their dams and sibs for at least 8-12 weeks, though...they get valuable socialization lessons from their families... You'll have to work with King to make sure he's properly socialized. :thumbs up

June 13th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Yes I am well aware that I have to do alot to make sure King is socialized, like I have said in a previous thread the mother stopped feeding them and they were all eating and drinking puppy food, so I did get him earlier then planned which is fine I just didn't know how long I had to feed him the milk I would like to stop since he is drinking water

June 13th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Discontinue the milk. Once they're weaned (the mother stops feeding them) they don't need it any more. Especially if you tried to make do with cow's milk.

June 13th, 2008, 08:37 PM
When can I stop giving my puppy milk?