Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When can I stop giving my puppy milk?

King
June 13th, 2008, 04:33 AM
I picked up King alittle early the mother stopped weening the puppies and they were eating on there own anyways they told me that I should feed King milk which I have been but when do I stop can I stop now that he is 8 weeks old?

Love4himies
June 13th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I assume it is puppy nursing milk, not cow's milk.

I am not familiar with puppies, only kittens but I am sure somebody will be along shortly that can answer your question.

hazelrunpack
June 13th, 2008, 09:50 AM
English setter pups at least are often weaned by 4 or 5 weeks, so I suspect you can discontinue the milk. Pups should stay with their dams and sibs for at least 8-12 weeks, though...they get valuable socialization lessons from their families... You'll have to work with King to make sure he's properly socialized. :thumbs up

King
June 13th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Yes I am well aware that I have to do alot to make sure King is socialized, like I have said in a previous thread the mother stopped feeding them and they were all eating and drinking puppy food, so I did get him earlier then planned which is fine I just didn't know how long I had to feed him the milk I would like to stop since he is drinking water

hazelrunpack
June 13th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Discontinue the milk. Once they're weaned (the mother stops feeding them) they don't need it any more. Especially if you tried to make do with cow's milk.

14+kitties
June 13th, 2008, 08:37 PM
When can I stop giving my puppy milk?

Now.