Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Budgie trouble - terrified of people/ just terrified

Masha
June 12th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Hi,

My friend's husband brought home a Budgie (basically his employer said - take it if you want, otherwise i will release it :wall::wall: how is a budgie supposed to survive Toronto weather?? :wall: ) Well, he took (him/her?? lets say 'it') in but they are not 'animal people' -- their words not mine, although quite accurate. I came over to their place, well the bird's cage is in the computer room so its basically alone most of the time, and it is TERRIFIED of people. It started flapping like crazy the moment my hand came close to the cage. I moved my hand away and the bird settled but it was shaking. I talked to it with a soft voice for few minutes and it relaxed, stopped shaking, but very tense. If my hand moved closer to the cage it started flapping around.

They don't want the bird, but are taking care of it and wont get rid of it unless they find a home for it so i want to make sure that while the bird is in their care that it has at least a comfortable stay.

Any suggestions?? I never had birds before so i have absolutely no clue about them... I sent them some 'taking care of a budgie' links, but with a 1 yr old i doubt they read it.

hazelrunpack
June 12th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Soft gentle voice, slow movements and as much patience as they can muster... Birds are just naturally shy and this one sounds like it's not gotten a lot of socialization with people. It doesn't sound like your friends have the time to work with the bird, though. :sad: Any chance you could take it? :o

Someone gave my mom a budgie to cheer her up when she was undergoing chemo...which was unfortunate because she was always allergic to birds. So I took Ami home and we became fast friends. :cloud9: But it took a lot of patience to get him used to me, and he didn't really cozy up to other people very easily.

He did love to torment the dogs, though! :laughing:

Good luck with the budgie, Masha!

Melinda
June 13th, 2008, 07:24 AM
to calm the bird down, place a towel over the cage leaving the front uncovered and place a hanging mirror in the cage, it will become his "safe companion", then slowly reach in for food dishes etc all the while talking calmly to it. If you can softly whistle a tune, or mimic it's noises, that would also help.

Masha
June 13th, 2008, 11:41 AM
[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;606338]Any chance you could take it? :o
QUOTE]

Thats my plan :D But DH is resisting (he thinks two furbutts is more then enough :rolleyes::laughing:). I am slowly working on him though, until then, i will pass the info to my friend.

DH is also concerned that the budgie may pass something to one of our guys -- are there illnesses that they can transfer? It would dfinitely help me to convince him if i have all the info to counter his arguments :)

Thanks for the info!!

Chris21711
June 13th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Your DH is worried that the Budgie will pass something onto the Dogs? He's kidding right? Or do you have other birds?

Masha
June 15th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Nope, we dont have any other birds. I am slightly suspicious that he is just throwing around any excuses he can come up with as to why the bird shouldnt come here... but i am working on this :)

hazelrunpack
June 15th, 2008, 10:28 AM
It is possible to catch things from a bird, but you'd be more likely to get them than the dogs would, and as long as you take common sense precautions--like washing hands and keeping the bird from flying over your food-prep place--you can cut the odds to near zero.

Our little guy had chronic respiratory chlamydia that would flare up now and then and require meds. The dogs never caught it, even though there were times when I'd catch them nose to beak, and the bird used to try to pull out their tail hairs when he thought they were sleeping. :o

Chris21711
June 16th, 2008, 09:36 AM
It is possible to catch things from a bird, but you'd be more likely to get them than the dogs would, and as long as you take common sense precautions--like washing hands and keeping the bird from flying over your food-prep place--you can cut the odds to near zero.

Our little guy had chronic respiratory chlamydia that would flare up now and then and require meds. The dogs never caught it, even though there were times when I'd catch them nose to beak, and the bird used to try to pull out their tail hairs when he thought they were sleeping. :o

I didn't know that folks could catch anything from captive birds Hazel, do you know how the birds would contract something if they are never out of the house :confused: