Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Cat Is So Afraid of Other People!!

thekatzmeow
June 12th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Hello Everyone -- I have 1 a one-year old Balinese (or some sort of long-haired Siamese) cat which I got as a kitten from the HS. When he was a kitten, he used to sit in the same room with me when friends came over. (I live alone and there are not a lot of people coming and going through my home.) However, once he turned 4 months old or so, he started to become extremely afraid of any visitors. He has gone from hiding under the bed when people are over -- to hiding behind the dryer (where I cannot reach him). I feel bad for him because I know he is so afraid when he hides back there. I haven't had a cat in years, so I have some questions: Is there any way I can make him more sociable? How can I help him to feel more relaxed in other people's company? If I adopted another kitten now -- would that bring him out of his shell more? Would it help him in accepting strangers better? I know each cat has their own personality, but I welcome any and all input. Thanks very much!!

Lukka'sma
June 12th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I don't know how you can make him feel at ease with strangers, sorry.
My cat Nugget:rip: was also afraid of other people, he would hide the second he heard someone come over and the second the door shut when they left he would appear:laughing:. I have close family members who never once saw him in his 18 years with me thats how well he would stay hidden when I had company over.
Welcome and I hope you find your answers. We have lots of very knowledgable cat people on this forum and maybe someone will be along in the next while with an answer for you

TacoGrl
June 12th, 2008, 05:02 PM
My Jaeger :rip: used to hide when new people came over...if it was for just a short visit, she would stay hidden...if the people stayed for dinner then a chat after, sometimes she would come out and sniff around, but oh my if someone actually TOUCHED her, it was back into the hiding spots! However, she grew out of it and when Mooki came along, it was like they were competing for attention from anyone coming to visit :D

Now that Jaeger is gone, Mooki is somewhat selective who she cuddles up to.

Personally, I think the more/longer people are around your home, the more of a chance your kitty will come out to investigate if the atmosphere is comfortable...try quiet encounters at first...not silent, but not parties or loud talking people...good luck. :fingerscr

thekatzmeow
June 13th, 2008, 12:10 AM
:crazy: Thanks Lukka's Ma and Mooki for responding. Hopefully with time, he'll warm up to people. That's funny about Jaegar NEVER being see by even close family members for 18 years!! I guess in the meantime, I will just let my friends think I've flipped out and now I have an imaginary cat that I happen to feed real cat food to and provide a real litter box for!! :crazy:

I ook forward to hearing from anyone else who has comments or suggestions.

jiorji
June 13th, 2008, 12:46 AM
i don't know...some cats will always be like that. Cats aren't like dogs so they don't feel they need that connection i guess. My cat adapts well when i transfer her from here to my parents' house, but when new people come around, if there's a lot of noise of if they're really kind of energetic she hides. If calm people come around, she doesn't hide.

Love4himies
June 13th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Sweet Pea is terrified if somebody comes to the door and hides, won't come out, Jasper loves to greet people, Puddles is indifferent and doesn't move, Snowball would be somewhat cautious, but after a short time, would come and greet :shrug:. All kitties are different.

One piece of advice, DO NOT ever force your kitty to meet people, it will only make it worse, this kitty is a little shy and has to come out on her own.

kimnmark
June 13th, 2008, 08:01 AM
My cat Nugget:rip: was also afraid of other people, he would hide the second he heard someone come over and the second the door shut when they left he would appear:laughing:.

My cat is the same. THe only one she'll come out for is my mum. :)