Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can it cause worms?

Reality
June 12th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I love the animals, domestic and not so domestic, but I am having concerns about what the side effects of my dog eatting,, shut your eyes,, the wild rabbit poop in the yard? Is this going to cause worms or other nasty little beasties to make a home in my pet?

Lukka'sma
June 12th, 2008, 04:25 PM
:laughing::laughing:Rabbit poop is one of Lukka's favorite things to eat. I have to watch her very closely when we hike in the woods. I would assume that yes your dog could become a host for critters from eating poop. Can you get some Drontral from your vet?

jealma
June 12th, 2008, 09:39 PM
My pup got into poop from the geese up at our cottage and I was worried about what she might catch from it. I thought her puppy shots,, would perhaps fight off any of that stuff?

otter
June 12th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Rabbit poop is the number one delicacy for dogs! I even read that on a website somewhere else (not a forum, an info site):laughing: Now I don't believe everything I read but, the consensus around here agrees :thumbs up

Jealma, I don't think puppy shots will protect from worms but worms are not the worst thing to worry about with goose poop, it's the bacteria I think that are really nasty. Best to try and stay away.

Sorry, don't know if the rabbit poop can have worms :shrug:

14+kitties
June 12th, 2008, 10:39 PM
It's a good possibility.

http://info.texpup.com/intestinal-parasites.php

hazelrunpack
June 12th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Our dogs love rabbit raisins :rolleyes: among other things. With all the wildlife poopin' around here, we just routinely de-worm them every 3 months during 'worm season'. :o

Reality
June 13th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Now I"m going to seem pretty dumb here, but what is considerded to be worm season? My guess is june, july aug?

hazelrunpack
June 13th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Now I"m going to seem pretty dumb here, but what is considerded to be worm season? My guess is june, july aug?

:sorry:..."worm season" is hazel's obscure way of saying from snow cover to snow cover--so from spring thaw to winter snows...here, at least. :D As soon as the ground is uncovered and until it is covered again, the dogs run the risk of contracting worms in the yard.

But, as I said, we have a lot of contributing wildlife here (most notably, rampant raccoons) and our risk is probably higher than in many places. It's cheaper for us to deworm them all than it is to test them for worms--especially since they were always coming up positive for something or other, anyway. :shrug: