Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Marine expelled, another punished over puppy video

ancientgirl
June 12th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Marine expelled, another punished over puppy video

By AUDREY McAVOY, Associated Press Writer Thu Jun 12, 12:57 AM ET

HONOLULU - The Marine Corps said Wednesday it was expelling one Marine and disciplining another for their roles in a video showing a Marine throwing a puppy off a cliff while on patrol in Iraq.

The 17-second video posted on YouTube drew sharp condemnation from animal rights groups when it came to light in March.

The clip shows two Marines joking before one hurls the puppy into a rocky gully. A yelping sound is heard as it flips through the air.

"That's mean. That's mean, Motari," an off-camera Marine is heard telling the Marine who tossed the black and white dog. The off-camera Marine snickered slightly afterward.

Lance Cpl. David Motari, assigned to the 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment at Kaneohe Bay, is "being processed for separation" from the Marine Corps, the Marine Corps said in a news release. He also received unspecified "non-judicial punishment."

The Marine Corps didn't say what role Motari played in the clip.

The video was viewed tens of thousands of times before YouTube took it down because of a violation of the site's terms of use.

"The actions seen in the Internet video are contrary to the high standards we expect of every Marine and will not be tolerated," Marine Corps Base Hawaii said in a news release. "The vast majority of Marines conduct their duties with honor and compassion that makes American people proud."

The second Marine, Sgt. Crismarvin Banez Encarnacion, also received unspecified "non-judicial" punishment.

Encarnacion is assigned to the Weapons and Field Training Battalion, Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego.

First Lt. Binford Strickland, a Marine Corps Base Hawaii spokesman, said the service may not reveal what roles the two men played in the video because that was part of the investigation. He said releasing such information would violate the Privacy Act.

Strickland declined to provide details about the disciplinary measures taken against the men for the same reason.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

With information these days being so easily obtained, hopefully we will soon find out just what kind of punishment these guys got. It makes no difference to that poor puppy, but at least something was done and his death was not ignored.

Chaser
June 12th, 2008, 10:29 AM
It made me sick when I found out about this. I'm glad it's being recognized....but it still makes me so sad to think about it. :sad:

jealma
June 12th, 2008, 10:49 AM
What is non-judicial punishment? I didn't see the video, but I heard about it and I cried. To think of this little pup who would do nothing but love and want to be a wonderful compainion to a human was tossed like a peice of nothing to a death so unfair. There is something not right going on in a person's brain who could do such a thing.

Love4himies
June 12th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I am glad he lost his job and now he is famous and will have a hard time finding another job as he won't be able to lie as to why he quit the military.

:rip: puppy :candle:

ancientgirl
June 12th, 2008, 10:58 AM
What they did was just inexcusable. There is something really wrong with a person that does something like that. I don't care how battle stressed you are. Take it out on your enemy, be a better soldier, whatever but don't take an innocent animal and do something like that.

Here's what I found on non-judicial punishment in Wikipedia:

Nonjudicial punishment in the United States military, is a form of military discipline authorized by Article 15 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Nonjudicial punishment permits commanders to administratively discipline troops without a court-martial. The receipt of nonjudicial punishment does not constitute a criminal conviction, but is placed on the service record. The process for a nonjudicial punishment is governed by Part V of the Manual for Courts-Martial and by each service branch's regulations.

For Enlisted members Accused Of Misconduct

There are three types of non-judicial punishment commonly imposed.

Field Grade Article 15 (O-4 to O-6) may impose:

* Restriction to specific limits (normally place of duty, barracks, place of worship, mess hall, and medical facilities) for not more than 60 days
* Extra duties, including fatigue or other duties, for not more than 45 days
* Restriction with extra duties for not more than 45 days
* Correctional Custody for not more than 30 days (only if accused is in the grades E-3 and below)
* Forfeiture of one half of base pay for two months
* Reduction by one (NCO below E-6 in USMC or E-7 otherwise) or more (sub-NCO) grades.
* Confinement on diminished rations or bread and water for not more than 3 days (USN and USMC E-3 and below only, and only when embarked on a vessel)
* Admonition or reprimand, either written or verbal.

Company Grade Article 15 (O-3 or below) and commissioned OIC and Warrant Officers may impose:

* Restriction to specific limits (normally work, barracks, place of worship, mess hall, and medical facilities) for not more than 14 days
* Extra duties, including fatigue or other duties, for not more than 14 days
* Restriction with extra duties for not more than 14 days
* Correctional Custody for not more than 7 days (only if accused is in the grades E-3 and below)
* Forfeiture of 7 days pay
* Reduction by one grade, if original rank in promotion authority of imposing officer. Not imposable on E-6 or above for USMC, or E-7 or above for other services
* Confinement on diminished rations or bread and water for not more than 3 days (USN and USMC E-3 and below only, and only when embarked on a vessel)
* Admonition or reprimand, either written or verbal.

Summarized Article 15 (O-3 and below) and commissioned OIC may impose:

* Restriction to specific limits (normally work, barracks, place of worship, mess hall, and medical facilities) for not more than 14 days
* Extra duties, including fatigue or other duties, for not more than 14 days
* Restriction with extra duties for not more than 14 days

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It seems he still got off easy. At the very least, I hope he's still being harassed by people and I hope his name and face is remembered and he pays for it by being shunned.

jealma
June 12th, 2008, 11:00 AM
thanks for the info on what the punishment was.. I agree it's still off way to easy, and hopefully everyone will remember the guys name.

CearaQC
June 12th, 2008, 07:38 PM
The judicial system is courts, lawyers and all that garbage. Like the word "judge." Non-judicial just means they will process him internally and his official "punishment" is to be supposedly kicked out of the Marines. But now since they've made this press release stating he is being "processed for separation" from the Marines, this does not necessarily mean he is out of the military. He may get another job within the government elsewhere, like Black Ops.

LavenderRott
June 12th, 2008, 07:53 PM
The judicial system is courts, lawyers and all that garbage. Like the word "judge." Non-judicial just means they will process him internally and his official "punishment" is to be supposedly kicked out of the Marines. But now since they've made this press release stating he is being "processed for separation" from the Marines, this does not necessarily mean he is out of the military. He may get another job within the government elsewhere, like Black Ops.

No. He will not be able to get another job in the government and certainly not in Black Ops, if such a thing exists. It most certainly does mean that he is being kicked out of the Marines and will be unable to join any other branch of the military.

He will be given a Dishonerable Discharge and will have to disclose this to every potential employer he has for the rest of his life.

I don't know about Canada but here in the U.S., most employers take a Dishonerable Discharge very seriously. Especially if it is a Marine who has served in a war zone.

ancientgirl
June 12th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I'll bet he didn't think his act would follow him for the rest of his life.

angeldogs
June 12th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I'll bet he didn't think his act would follow him for the rest of his life.

He might not have but sure hope it does for what he did to that poor innocent pup.

ancientgirl
June 13th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I agree 1000%