Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do I socialize a mother and kittens with my own cat?

Kaylers
June 12th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I have a male cat at home, just over a year old. I've just taken in a mother cat (age unknown) and 5 kittens (about 5 weeks old from the Toronto Cat Rescue). Can anyone tell me what to do to socialize the two adult cats? So far there has been a lot of hissing and growling, and they almost attacked each other and I had to pull them apart. It's only been one day, but I want to know how long it may take, and if it's even possible at all! Thanks!

sugarcatmom
June 12th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I have a male cat at home, just over a year old. I've just taken in a mother cat (age unknown) and 5 kittens (about 5 weeks old from the Toronto Cat Rescue). Can anyone tell me what to do to socialize the two adult cats? So far there has been a lot of hissing and growling, and they almost attacked each other and I had to pull them apart. It's only been one day, but I want to know how long it may take, and if it's even possible at all! Thanks!

Please keep them separated for now!! A mother cat with kittens is going to be very protective. Do you have a room where you can close them off with their own litter boxes, food, etc? Are you fostering them or are you keeping any of them? Introductions should be very gradual, mostly beginning with each cat getting used to the scent of the others. In some cases, this can take weeks. There's more detailed info here: http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/aggression4.html

Kaylers
June 12th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Yes, I do have them separated and have separated them from the start. I just let them sniff each other out once last night, and they didn't get along. The mother and kittens are situated in my room with their own food, litter, bed and toys, and are adjusting well in there.

And yes, I am fostering them. :)

Love4himies
June 12th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Sugarcatmom is right on with her advice. Do not allow the male in with the kittens or momma. She will be extremely protective of her kittens.

When I fostered Sweet Pea and her kittens last year, Jasper would sit outside her door and she would be on the other side of the door sniffing him. This went on for a couple of weeks, then Jasper was introduced to the kittens. It went well, but Japser is a super special kitty, that has no aggression genes and lets all cats know it. He is loved by all strange cats he meets.

Puddles, on the other hand, hissed at one of Sweet Pea's kittens (this is months after being in the house together without any fights or hisses between them), Sweet Pea pounced on poor Puddles, attacked her, and they have hated each other since (going on a year now). Puddles wouldn't hurt a kitten, but just wanted it to stay away from her.

Kaylers
June 12th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Yeah, Tycho (my cat) has been around the kittens a little, usually just one at a time, and he is adjusting to them. ( I bring them out of the bedroom, and the mom does not notice/mind). He doesn't hiss at them, but he is very weary but he chirps as he backs away from them. He sits outside the door at night as well. I ended up sleeping out in the living room with him so that he would not feel left out (he cried for me).

14+kitties
June 14th, 2008, 10:01 PM
No more advice for you. L4H and sugarcatmom have done a great job with that. Just wanted to say Thank you very much for fostering the mom and her babies. You are their :angel: TCR is a wonderful organization. :thumbs up

Also - welcome to the forum. Hope you stick around. And we like pictures. Lots of pictures. Especially of babies (kitties, pups, etc.)