Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Opinions on cleaning Czarina's ears

ancientgirl
June 11th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Okay, so as many of you know, I've been using kitty prozac on Czarina to ease her stress while I'm settling her indoors. I have been putting, as indicated, the topical on the inside of her ear. She's getting a build up and I need to clean that.

While she's not super fussy when I put the stuff on her ear, I can be quick about it, cleaning the ear is a different matter. I need to get a good grip of her, but she's skittish about being picked up for too long. As it is, when I picked her up a few times to put her in the litter box, she allowed it but tensed up.

I'm thinking about getting a towel and wrapping her in it. I don't know if that's a good idea. I don't want her to think I'm hurting her and then she thinks twice about trusting me. But it's the only thing I can think of to keep her still and me safe from her scratching me or trying to bite me.

Any suggestions? Does the towel idea sound like it might be a good idea?

On a side note, in case some of you hadn't read, she did finally go pee and poo, so all is well in that territory.

badger
June 11th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I only use a towel in absolute emergencies. For my cats, towelling is akin to waterboarding and puts them off me for hours.
When you go to reapply the cream, have a damp JCloth in your other hand and just give it a quick scrub before you reapply the cream. All the while reassuring her that it's for her own good and what lovely ears.

ancientgirl
June 11th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I've cut the other's nails before like that, but after a bath, so they really don't have any issues with it, but she's not used to stuff like that. I don't want to traumatize her. I'll get a towel and clean them when I get home, then leave her alone for a little bit before I put the medicine. Thanks.

Jim Hall
June 11th, 2008, 06:28 PM
try green tea i found that most cars like that and its very soothing

ancientgirl
June 12th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I managed to clean her ears this morning, but man was she pissed!

She had been outside the pyramid when I came into the kitchen, she and Vlad were eying each other. I pet her for a little bit and she went back into the pyramid. When I put her food out she stayed inside and only popped her head out to eat, I knew that would be my only chance. I put my hand on her shoulder and had to hold her down. She hissed and spat at me the whole time, but I got her ears wiped down. I didn't put any medication in them because I thought I'd angered her enough. I'll put the medication on when I get home.