Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Did you say INFECTION? Molly update

otter
June 10th, 2008, 04:55 PM
We're back from the vet. Molly was excellent - a bit of a scaredy cat this time but otherwise totally awesome!:D

Poor girl though, she's got a UTI, eye infection, ear infection, all on top of the skin issue/infection we wanted to check out :sad:. I guess the good part is that antibiotics should take care of most everything :goodvibes: I'm kinda mad at myself now that I didn't put her on antibiotics when her skin first flared up - Dr. Lee was soooooooooooo right! :thumbs up, antibiotics were definitely warranted.

We got full wellness bloodwork, CBC and urinalysis done - not cheap ($300) but so worth it for the peace of mind. Everything looked great (everything was good... nothing was significantly off, a few were a bit high/low, I can't remember all the details, gotta go look a couple of things up to twig my memory - will update later). No big changes over last year, yipee! I can't believe how lucky I am :D::lovestruck::lovestruck:

The vet was happy about her food (Canidae Lamb and Rice with a bit of canned Wellness or Canidae for variety) and her weight was improving over her winter gain (she's back to 72lbs from 76 in March, she was only 70lbs in October - yo-yo diet anyone?) :thumbs up:D

My girl is pure GOLD!!:dog:

She got so many toys and treats after her trip I thought she was gonna be sick all night, but she was great! I'm sooo, sooo, sooo happy http://www.pic4ever.com/images/loveshower.gif.

14+kitties
June 10th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Yay!!!!! for Molly!!!!!!!! It's always good to get a great report!!!!! Sorry about the infections but if antibiotics can clear it up then that's great!!!!

Stacer
June 10th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Holy crow she had quite the list of issues. Glad she's all better now:cloud9:
Sounds like she's really healthy(besides her few infections :)) Yay Molly!

otter
June 10th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I looked up the other blood work numbers that were a bit "off" - the only significant one was her neutrophils which were a little high. This is an indicator for bacterial infections... so no wonder it's a bit high!
Her platelet count is also high... but I haven't been able to figure out if that means anything (the vet didn't highlight it so i'm guessing not significant), it was just out of the "normal" range.
Her Glucose was low... I think cause she didn't get to eat breakfast :sad:

Urine was better than last year, much less concentrated, no struvites and a bit lower pH.:thumbs up

I can't believe i'm the ONLY person at my vets office that gets this done. I feel so much better prepared now!:D

ancientgirl
June 10th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I hope the antibiotics help her. Ugh, UTI's are horrible! I can imagine how it must be for a dog or a cat:sad:

The bloodwork is a great idea. My vet has this incredible deal, they do all that bloodwork, everything and charge $45 for cats and a little more for dogs. They only charge what the lab charges them. I had Vlad, Oksana and Czarina done. The vet said I can have Maks and Kiska done a few months after their birthday in August.

But even if you have to spend $300 once a year, I think it's a wonderful preventive tool.

How long will Molly have to be on her antibiotics?

otter
June 10th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I hope the antibiotics help her. Ugh, UTI's are horrible! I can imagine how it must be for a dog or a cat:sad:

that's the only odd part... Molly doesn't seem to be bothered at all, none of the tell tale signs (not peeing anymore than usual, not squatting with out peeing, not extra thirsty, nothing :shrug:)
The bloodwork is a great idea. My vet has this incredible deal, they do all that bloodwork, everything and charge $45 for cats and a little more for dogs. They only charge what the lab charges them. I had Vlad, Oksana and Czarina done. The vet said I can have Maks and Kiska done a few months after their birthday in August.

WOW that is soooooooooo awesome. Reading about your vets "wellness program" was what inspired me to do this for Molly

But even if you have to spend $300 once a year, I think it's a wonderful preventive tool.
It's a LOT of cash but, I live a long way away from a vet so I want to be as prepared as possible. Plus it makes me feel so much better knowing that things are OK and to know if anything is changing over time
How long will Molly have to be on her antibiotics?
Two months!

hazelrunpack
June 10th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Aw, poor Molly! :grouphug: Two months of antibiotics! :eek:

Grace sends her sympathies--she's got a UTI, too. Slowly getting better :thumbs up

Great news that Molly checked out healthy otherwise. She is such a sweet girl :cloud9:

growler~GateKeeper
June 11th, 2008, 01:02 AM
:grouphug: for Molly :sad: nasty infections

So http://www.pic4ever.com/images/greenstars.gif the rest of the tests showed good :thumbs up

Platelets help the blood to clot, the slight increase could just be as a result of the infections :goodvibes:

rainbow
June 11th, 2008, 02:24 AM
:grouphug: for Molly's multiple infections :sad: but WOOO HOOO for her overall health report. :thumbs up

Hopefully the antibiotics will clear everything up quickly. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

kimnmark
June 11th, 2008, 05:04 AM
That's great news about Molly's health report. HOpefully the meds & a little TLC will clear up the infections quickly. :fingerscr

Love4himies
June 11th, 2008, 06:31 AM
That is good news :highfive:.

2 months on antibiotics :eek: Hope she is an easy piller:D

ancientgirl
June 11th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Yeah, 2 months is a long time. But if that's what it takes, they you have to do it.

Frenchy
June 11th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Now see how Molly's smart ? She's getting all those infections now , so there won't be any other problems for the rest of the summer :laughing:

Good luck with the antibiotics , speedy recovery Molly :goodvibes:

otter
June 11th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Grace sends her sympathies--she's got a UTI, too. Slowly getting better
Great news that Molly checked out healthy otherwise. She is such a sweet girl
And a couple of :grouphug: and :goodvibes: for Grace, Ridge too! been a bit of a rough patch for those guys.

I can't say it enough, how happy I am that Molly got the :thumbs up

:grouphug: for Molly nasty infections

So http://www.pic4ever.com/images/greenstars.gif the rest of the tests showed good
Platelets help the blood to clot, the slight increase could just be as a result of the infections :goodvibes: Thanks Growler... good to know about those platelets... hard to keep all this stuff straight :D

That is good news
2 months on antibiotics :eek: Hope she is an easy piller
She's great :highfive: I hide the pills in hot dogs - makes me go :yuck: but she LOVES them.

Yeah, 2 months is a long time. But if that's what it takes, they you have to do it.
Might even be longer, I guess the worse thing you can do is to end too early :p

Now see how Molly's smart ? She's getting all those infections now , so there won't be any other problems for the rest of the summer
Molly doesn't do anything half way! It's all or nothing for her. I guess if you're gonna have one infection... ya might as well have four :rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
June 11th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Molly gets two months of hotdogs!?! :eek: She's gonna be on :cloud9: in seventh heaven! :dog:

She's gonna hate getting better if it means she'll miss out on her hotdogs, so you better just count on giving them to her forever! :D In fact, give her more when she improves. It'll give her an incentive to heal!

Grace and Ridge say :thankyou: for the good wishes.

rainbow
June 12th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Molly gets two months of hotdogs!?! :eek: She's gonna be on :cloud9: in seventh heaven! :dog:

:laughing: ....I guess that just proves the fact that every cloud has a silver lining. :D

otter
June 12th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Molly gets two months of hotdogs!?! She's gonna be on in seventh heaven!

:laughing: ....I guess that just proves the fact that every cloud has a silver lining. :D

You guys just make me :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Just so she doesn't become hotdog dependent we switch it up for cheese slices every once in a while. Mmmmmmm good wholesome food for a sick doggy :laughing: That clouds silver lining was really dandy.. hot dogs and cheese slices are even on sale this week :thumbs up (good thing too cause with the vet bill to pay off i'm gonna be eating them too :yuck:)

and to be truely empathetic to Molly's condition, i'm sooooooo itchy now too - darn mosquitoes and black flies :frustrated::frustrated: I wish we could both soak in a bath of oatmeal :p

hazelrunpack
June 12th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Sorry to hear you're itching, too! We've got those same black flies and mosquitoes here...some of the mosquitoes are the size of hummingbirds!!! :eek:

Oh...wait...I guess those are hummingbirds. :o Whew! That's a relief! But the bugs really are bad this year! :eek: