Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on Mimi

Bluedrake
June 10th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Well, Mimi is starting to settle in. She comes out from under the bed, but only during the night and early in the morning, for some strange reason.

She has started to eat a little, but only enough to keep herself alive. Silly girl. I tried to tempt her with canned salmon, but she turned her nose up at it. She really is a kibble addict, and anything else she won't touch. I'm going to stick to her purina stuff :yuck: until she feels comfortable enough to hang around the other cats. I don't want to change too many things at once.

I let the other cats in the bedroom to get acquainted with the scent of the newcomer. There was hissing on all parts, except Erin (such a sweetie), but no agressive moves. Neither Mimi nor Chinook tried to get into a fight. They just stared at each other and hissed. Erin just mewed when Mimi hissed at her. I think she wants to make friends, but Mimi is still on the shy side.

The whole thing lasted maybe 30 seconds before I kicked out the other cats. I just wanted them to take a whiff of each other.

Mimi went in her litterbox for the first time this morning. She had been holding back since sunday afternoon! Boy was that a big bundle to scoop. :laughing:

Something funny: Mimi was not allowed to climb on furniture, especially beds, at her old home, but here I actually invited her to do so. She looked at me like "really? I can go on the bed?". I think she didn't believe me, because she didn't try to get on, but when I woke up this morning, she was snuggled next to me and purring.

She's getting used to me, if not the other cats, at least. Today she rolled onto her back to get a belly rub! :cloud9:

All in all, I think she is making good progress. It's just the food issue that I am concerned about. She has to start eating enough.

I'll keep you posted. :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
June 11th, 2008, 12:22 AM
A good update, give or take the food issue. She'll come around on that, too, I'm sure. :D

I love how she's already into cuddle mode at night :cloud9:

rainbow
June 11th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Sounds like the introductions are going well :thumbs up and WOOO HOO for the night time snuggles. :cloud9:

Hopefully, after she is used to her new surroundings, you will be able to switch her to a better diet. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

kimnmark
June 11th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Aaw that's so sweet that she's cuddling you at night. Sounds like things are all moving along in the right direction.

Bluedrake
June 11th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Well, Mimi has finally started to eat more.

I have a bit of an usual situation here. I live in an apartment, and the balconies are being renovated, so I can't open my patio door. It's been really hot this weekend and at the beginning of the week, but last night and this morning it's a lot cooler. I can at least open my bedroom window, but the fresh air doesn't get to the living room.

I don't want Chinook and Erin to suffocate, so I'm going to cheat a little on the isolation part. I'm not working today, so I'll let the door open to cool the rest of the apartment. Mimi sticks to under the bed during the day, so Erin and Chinook will still be able to move around and cool down a little.

I'll be able to supervise to make sure nothing untowards happens.

Erin did hiss a little this time. The expression is so alien on her face...

I'll close the door for the night and when I leave for work tomorrow, but at least I'll be able to tease in some fresh air today. I should have gotten air conditioning before a third cat...

Love4himies
June 11th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Sounds like everything will be just fine :highfive:. Although there is some hissing doesn't sound like it is agression, just "stay away from me until I am more comfortable with you" hissing.

A stressed cat not eating much is normal, as long as she is eating something.

chico2
June 11th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Bluedrake,I think you are doing great,snuggling in bed is a huge step.
It's much cooler here today,maybe where you are too,much better for the kitties.