Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Declawed Aqua

katherine93
June 10th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Hi guys.. im super mad! In the last 2 months Aqua has been scratching EVERYTHING! We've been through 3 couches and she scrathced up all my clothes in my closet! :mad: Well , we've had ENOUGH of this(after trying everything in the world that we possibly could) Mom had her declawed today.. normally im the first person to Rant about people doing this to there poor cats! Ugh.. im disapointed mostly, we did something we said we would NEVER do.

duttypaws
June 10th, 2008, 06:43 PM
oh no :( did she try the fake nails.... ) they are called softpaws.... i'll post here for others... http://www.softpaws.com/about.html

ancientgirl
June 10th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Oh Katherine, that's terrible! There are so many things that could have been done other than that.:sad:

Jim Hall
June 11th, 2008, 12:20 AM
ughh thats a shame sometimes it has to be or get rid of her. As long ang as she stays inside or on a lead outside she will be ok. Cats are very tough very adaptable creatures

rainbow
June 11th, 2008, 05:02 AM
oh no :( did she try the fake nails.... ) they are called softpaws.... i'll post here for others... http://www.softpaws.com/about.html

I was also wondering why the softpaws weren't tried first?

clm
June 11th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I so hate to hear about cats being declawed. I've never had an issue with any of my cats clawing what they shouldn't, my 4 current or 2 previous. I wish we could have provided you with solutions before you had to resort to declawing.

Cindy

Love4himies
June 11th, 2008, 07:01 AM
:sad::yell: Poor kitty. Declawing can lead to a life of pain. In no way, shape or form would I ever agree to declawing. Soft Paws or keeping the nails clipped short are more humane alternatives.

http://www.pawproject.com/html/faqs.asp

http://www.declawing.com/

chico2
June 11th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Well,the deed is done:cry:too late to correct now.
I just hope she will be ok,poor kitty:pray:
Over the years of having cats,I must admit we went through several couches,finally bought leather for the livingroom and we've been fine since.
This is just something you have to take into account when you have animals,whether it is cats or dogs.
Cardboard scratch boards are the favorite of my cats,also cat-trees,but like I said before,too late for Aqua,so sorry about that:cry:
Katherine,we know you love cats,don't blame you,so please do not get scared off the Forum.
With most of us cat-owners,declawing is probably the worst thing you can do to a cat and emotions run really high on that subject.

14+kitties
June 11th, 2008, 10:00 AM
:grouphug: for you and Aqua! Mostly Aqua. :sad: I admit I had that done to my first cat years and year ago when I didn't know the consequences. Never again!
Like Chico said, not your fault at all!!

duttypaws
June 12th, 2008, 06:58 AM
I was also wondering why the softpaws weren't tried first?

i had never heard of them until catsnatcher told me about them she has them on Martin.

I had never even heard about declawing until I got to Canada.... dont do it in the UK.... but i do admit Poppy has her extra toenails removed as they curl into her paw pad.

Jim Hall
June 12th, 2008, 08:25 AM
hi ya k93 hows aqua doing ? Are you allowed any puter time or still in soloitary?:thumbs up

krdahmer
June 12th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Aw sorry to hear that. My first cat who lives with my folks is declawed, did it before I knew better, can't imagine doing it to these guys, but then again they were all trained not to scratch and have plenty of cat trees etc to amuse them. However, my brother's cat is well on his way to being declawed... they have tried and tried to deter him from scratching, and he isn't scratching furniture he is ruining all of their wood trim in the house, the latest attempt is feliway... then the soft paws... then I think they may be out of options. If it was the furniture I don't think it would be such a big deal, but he is destroying the house.

Oh and I had shiny new leather furniture.... for a whole 3 days! Buddy slipped off the back and tried to hang on...:rolleyes: I was just about to freak out when I reminded myself that it was just furniture (we discussed before we bought it that it would get scratched.... and we wouldn't freak out). They never scratch it on purpose but once in a while scratch by accident when running or jumping off of it, I don't really mind anymore it kind of gives it character! I just have blankets over the spots they use as a spring board most often to prevent really bad scratches.

Tell your mom too when buying furniture with pets, there are two materials that are better, the ultra suede (the soft material not actual suede leather) and leather. Anything woven will get shredded as the cats can get their claws in it and pull. I have a once beautiful Sklar Peplar in the basement that some goof at the store said would be great for cats.... ya sure,:frustrated: in tatters. As soon as they got one spot... the couch was history.

Anyhow I know we all feel strongly about declawing and it isn't fair to the cat.... but there are far worse alternatives... like them being put out or abandoned. (not that that would ever happen at your house... but you know, in general) (This is also the attitude of my vet... she tries to deter people as much as possible, but if they insist it's that or they get rid of the cat.... well she does it.) And you're young, it wasn't ultimately up to you. So don't feel bad.... just be sure to watch her paws over the years, my Cordy had complications 8 years after being declawed that caused her to have a pretty bad limp and had to have a growth removed that appeared to be claw growing back under the skin!

Love4himies
June 12th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I guess I have been lucky, I have had cats all my life and have never had any furniture ruined by cats. Foster kittens did some tiny scratches in my leather, but not from scratching, but from trying to jump and missed.

Jim Hall
June 12th, 2008, 02:40 PM
hi ya k hows aqua doing?

chico2
June 12th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Dahmer,we too have a few scratches on the leather stuff,but we're ok with that and you're right,in "my"TV-room I have an ultra-suede corner-sofa and it's been great,no scratching and it's super-easy to clean(once I get to it:laughing:)
My wood-trim in the kitchen is totally grooved from my former cats(Peppi,Sammy and Cookie),but I can honestly say,no matter what they ruined in the house,I would never,ever declaw them.

katherine93
June 15th, 2008, 07:17 PM
ughh thats a shame sometimes it has to be or get rid of her. As long ang as she stays inside or on a lead outside she will be ok. Cats are very tough very adaptable creatures

All our cats are strictly indoors, unless we are outside and they stay by us.

hi ya k93 hows aqua doing ? Are you allowed any puter time or still in soloitary?:thumbs up

Im only allowed on the computer because im doing homework! And Aqua is going Great!

katherine93
June 15th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Cardboard scratch boards are the favorite of my cats,also cat-trees,but like I said before,too late for Aqua,so sorry about that:cry:
Katherine,we know you love cats,don't blame you,so please do not get scared off the Forum.
With most of us cat-owners,declawing is probably the worst thing you can do to a cat and emotions run really high on that subject.

Thanks chico.. Dont worry , ill never be scared from the forum! I Understand everybodys feeling and opinions. Mine are as strongly as everybodys, mom didnt want to do it either, dad(he doesnt really understand the consequences) Was arguing with mom for like ever for her to do it! :wall: And as alot of you know, married people have to find common ground, and we were definatly NOt going to give her up! I feel that she will still lead a very healthy, happy fullfilling life even with out her claws. She has adusted fine to life without claws.

Also Chico, I cant count how many scrathcing posts ect. are around my house, she just didnt use them, Little trouble maker is all she is!:evil: