Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kirkland Dog food

Guinness' mom
June 10th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Cosco has their own line of dogfood under the Kirkland name...has anyone heard feedback on it, or currently feed their dog with it?:pawprint:

LavenderRott
June 10th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I feed my dogs the Lamb and Rice formula and my cat eats their catfood.

Having said that, I think I heard that the U.S. formula is different then the one they use in Canada.

If you do a search on the forum and use the keyword Kirkland, you should be able to find the thread I posted in. If I am not mistaken, I listed the ingredients off the bag.

clm
June 10th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I sometimes mix the kirkland dog food with equal parts Orijen and Natures Variety Instinct rabbit, duck and chicken dog foods. I also alsways mix the kirkland cat food with the same feline versions of the foods above as well as others.

Cindy

mastifflover
June 11th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I fed Bud the Chicken and Rice and it was a pretty good food. It is made by Diamond. It also cost half the price of Diamond which is what I originally fed. I did add my own supplements to it

Frenchy
June 11th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I feed my guys the Lamb and Rice formula. They are not complaining :D Like mastifflover , I add supplements too. The cats get the Kirkland cat kibble in the morning but raw diet in the evening.

BTW , can someone help me with this ? I keep the kibble in a large bin so I don't have the bag anymore .... my newbie is 30-40 lbs , how much quantity is it written on the bag for that weight ? She's an older dog so I would give her a bit less than prescribe. Thanks !

rainbow
June 12th, 2008, 12:43 AM
BTW , can someone help me with this ? I keep the kibble in a large bin so I don't have the bag anymore .... my newbie is 30-40 lbs , how much quantity is it written on the bag for that weight ? She's an older dog so I would give her a bit less than prescribe. Thanks !

Frenchy, I can't help with the amount to feed but please don't store the kibble in a plastic bin. It is okay to do so IF you leave the kibble in the original bag but don't dump the kibble into the plastic bin.

There are several threads where this was discussed.....I'll see if I can find them. :)

rainbow
June 12th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I thought there were others but this is the only one I could find.....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30423&highlight=dog+food+plastic+containers

mastifflover
June 13th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I agree no plastic. I also find when it is really hot out the food smelled like the plastic container. I use a metal garbage can I could probably downsize that since Clark eats about 1/3 as much as Buddy did.

Guinness' mom
June 13th, 2008, 11:10 AM
It's funny but I was feeding Guinness higher end and very EXPENSIVE dog foods and we had to switch a few times he didn't seem to like them. My sister-in-law gave me some of the Lamb and Rice frim Kirkland and he LOVES it and eats in seconds flat like labs are suppose to do..lol
Why is it that you all supplement? Is it something they are lacking? Do they need Higher meat content? Guinness was diagnosed this week with colitis/bacterial infection he had diarrhea for a week (mild) and my husband blamed the food, I don't as he had been on it for 1.5 months already. I felt it was from being up at the cottage and he got into something (I found him sneeking into the washroom and drinking out of the toilet which is lake water) We give him bottled water all the time when we are up there.
So right now he is on metronidazole and Hills canned prescription diet and all is well with the big guy again.

Frenchy
June 13th, 2008, 12:16 PM
[B]Why is it that you all supplement?

colitis/bacterial infection he had diarrhea for a week (mild)

Once in a while I'll mix a raw egg in the kibble , or frozen sardines , plain organic yogourt

don't worry about the diarrhea , the metronidazole should take care of it. many here (including me) have dogs with this problem every spring :shrug: