Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

eating issue

kigndano
June 10th, 2008, 01:12 PM
another question thats been bothering me is that my dog doesnt seem to eat every day, and def not the same amount every day.

vet says he is perfectly healthy and the right weight - basically ideal - so im not really concerned. just wondering if anyone else had ever seen this before?

pitgrrl
June 10th, 2008, 03:07 PM
How much are you feeding?
Do you have set meal times, or do you free feed?

kigndano
June 10th, 2008, 03:10 PM
i feed about 3 cups per day. i know its not a lot, but he doesnt even eat all of it usually.

i definitely tried the set meal time thing, he went like 5 days without eating so i just decided to give the food after our morning walk and leave it there all day. he eats at midday sometimes, at night others, i dont really mind as long as he eats.

bendyfoot
June 10th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Our shepherd can be a weird eater, to the point where we have to beg or bribe to get her to eat a meal. She's occasionally just not interested in food (unlike our other dog who can hear the food bowls being shifted 1cm from 5km away and comes running).
We always TRY to get her to eat at mealtimes (two feedings a day, 7am, 7pm) but occasionally she just won't go for it, no matter how tempting we make it. She just looks at the bowl like "ahhhhh, can't be bothered, but thanks" and goes and lies down.
Now, I do find that she's more inclined to eat when she's been well-exercised, but that's most days so...:shrug: There's nothing physically wrong with her, so....:shrug:
I can relate, and while I don't like it particularly I don't stress about it too much if she misses a meal here or there. She'll almost always eat the next meal quite happily.

dogcatharmony
June 10th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I have got a strange eater too.

When I was feeding kibble she would only eat once a day and only half of her food bowl....think it was two and half/three cups I would put in. She would eat her meals a few days in a row and then not eat for a day or two then back to her regular eating routine then skip a day or two again. So I just free fed her because she doesn't over eat and she likes to eat later at night.

I now feed her a homecooked diet and still she likes to fast every few days. She still rarely cleans her plate in one sitting, for a medium sized dog (she is 60lbs) she sure eats very little.

I did find the more I tried to force her to eat at the beginning the more she refused to eat....and when I tried changing kibble, that was a disaster...seven days no food and a few trips to the vet.

My vet says she is healthy and at a good weight, although she is a seriously picky picky eater. Some dogs just don't follow the "eat it all and eat it as fast as you can" rule.

want4rain
June 10th, 2008, 04:12 PM
have you thought abotu supplementing with raw??

cause you know, its just so cool to watch your dog crunch through big tough.... chicken bones. :)

-ash

kigndano
June 10th, 2008, 05:46 PM
i have thought about RAW supplements, but then i realize i am far too busy/lazy to be consistent with it.

i do feed him the occaisonal egg, i heard its good for the coat.

rainbow
June 11th, 2008, 04:49 AM
i feed about 3 cups per day. i know its not a lot, but he doesnt even eat all of it usually.

i definitely tried the set meal time thing, he went like 5 days without eating so i just decided to give the food after our morning walk and leave it there all day. he eats at midday sometimes, at night others, i dont really mind as long as he eats.

What brand of kibble are you feeding him?

clm
June 11th, 2008, 06:52 AM
None of my dogs past or present eat consistantly. Some days they wipe out dinner in a heartbeat, other days, they can't be bothered. The 3 breeders I've got my dogs from over the years also have this trouble, so I've never worried about it.

Cindy

kigndano
June 11th, 2008, 08:34 AM
What brand of kibble are you feeding him?

just started on this stuff last week
http://www.petco.com/product/102549/Nature-s-Recipe-Farm-Stand-Selects.aspx

and he was on this for a while
http://www.petco.com/product/12559/Eukanuba-Natural-Lamb-and-Rice-Adult-Large-Breed-Formula-Dog-Food.aspx

before that i forget what he was on..it was a good 7-8 months ago

rainbow
June 12th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Nature's Recipe Farm Stand Selects is not one of the better choices. It contains menadione sodium bisulfite complex which is banned for human consumption and a controversial ingredient that may cause cancer.

Menadione Sodium Bisulfate
Vitamin K3, synthetic vitamin K.

Feed grade. Also listed as Menadione Dimethyl-Pyrimidinol Bisulfate, Menadione Dimethyl-Pyrimidinol Bisulfite, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite and Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex.

Unnecessary ingredient in dog food. This synthetic version of vitamin K has not been specifically approved for long term use, such as in pet food. It has been linked to many serious health issues. More Details

It also contains animal digest....

Animal Digest
AAFCO: A material which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and undecomposed animal tissue. The animal tissues used shall be exclusive of hair, horns, teeth, hooves and feathers, except in such trace amounts as might occur unavoidably in good factory practice and shall be suitable for animal feed. If it bears a name descriptive of its kind or flavor(s), it must correspond thereto.

A cooked-down broth made from unspecified parts of unspecified animals. The animals used can be obtained from any source, so there is no control over quality or contamination. Any kind of animal can be included: "4-D animals" (dead, diseased, disabled, or dying prior to slaughter), goats, pigs, horses, rats, misc. roadkill, animals euthanized at shelters, restaurant and supermarket refuse and so on.

The above quotes are from http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients which is a great website......click on all the links on the left hand side of the page for some excellent information.

rainbow
June 12th, 2008, 04:53 AM
I would also like to add that it is best to feed brands from companies that have their own manufacturing plants since they have control over the quality of the kibble that is produced.

Some of these brands are:

Orijen/Acana www.championpetfoods.com
Innova/EVO www.naturapet.com
Canidae www.canidae.com

Nature's Recipe is made by the Del Monte Corp. and Eukanuba is made by Proctor & Gamble. I'm sure you know how large these corporations are and how many different products they make. They are only interested in their profits and not the quality of the ingredients they use in their pet food brands.

The better brands of pet food are not available at the supermarket, large pet store chains or places like Walmart. They are only available at local independent pet stores or feed stores.

kigndano
June 12th, 2008, 07:39 AM
so if i cant find a local place that sells any of those brands what do you suggest?

kigndano
June 12th, 2008, 07:42 AM
nice.

took me all of 10 seconds on the canidae website to find out that the agway in keene, nh sells the stuff.

i am going to go get a bag after work, and return the food i bought to petco.

i am also going to throw out the rest of the lamb/rice eukanuba i had been mixing in with the nature select stuff.

i thought that the all natural label would be as good as orijen, which i always see everyone touting here.

kigndano
June 12th, 2008, 07:49 PM
bought a small bag of innova evo large red meat food today.

fed cash a bowl of it and he seemed to like it. heres hoping i can find one and stick with it for once.

i think part of the problem is that his dish is on the floor, im going to raise it up with an empty rubbermaid so that its at a better level for him.

thanks for the advice

want4rain
June 13th, 2008, 07:50 AM
haha just to be forewarned... some dogs get really farty on that!! we feed Evo when we go traveling or just occasionally because he likes it. its makes for a handy treat.

BTW giving the occasional raw meat is perfectly acceptable, especially for a treat. good for his teeth. :)

make the transition to Evo slow ok??

-ashley

kigndano
June 13th, 2008, 01:21 PM
unforunately i went cold turkey after reading what was in his old food. the "4D" meat kind of sealed the deal.

he had the runs this AM but i didnt want him eating anymore decayed meat broth.

rainbow
June 15th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I understand your concern about the crappy food ingredients but if you are going to switch "cold turkey" it is best to add digestive enzymes to help Cash adjust to such a drastic switch in food.

HelenNutmeg
June 15th, 2008, 08:35 PM
My gang eat a BARF diet supplemented with Wellness Core..