Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

weight pulling harness

kigndano
June 9th, 2008, 10:57 PM
anyone know where i can get one, and also how to train my doggy to weight pull?

websites, books, etc.

i know my 3-4 miles of walking are not going to cut it for exercise, so if i can put a cart in our basement and load it up with all kinds of crap and just have him drag it around for a "job" i would love that.

angeldogs
June 9th, 2008, 11:18 PM
How big is he know?.

Have a couple of websites one is more $$ and more for shipping prices.

The one i have is for up to a 100lbs rotti.I'm in the middle of converting a kids wooden wagon for carting.

Here is the one i have.the more expensive one you can take measurements for them for a harness.

kigndano
June 10th, 2008, 05:28 AM
he is 85-90 pounds now...id be quite angry if he grew past 100 and i needed a new one.

but ill take my chances, can i get the link?

Lissa
June 10th, 2008, 07:41 AM
These one's are extremely popular, for good reason! They are pricey though: http://www.itsmysite.com/cdpits/

I lucked out and found an old school leather weight pulling harness at a second hand store... All I had to do was reinforce the padding!

angeldogs
June 10th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I was looking at those before and wanted one.the one i got was $44.77 canadian and included shipping.i will go one of those when i start doing weight.mine i got for just pulling a small cart or kids wagon.

kigndano
June 10th, 2008, 12:07 PM
i definitely think weight pulling training would be a perfect outlet for my *ahem* little buddy.

ive read some mals can haul up to like 3000 lbs on a wheeled cart.

i think cash could probably do about that much if he saw another dog he wanted to fight with.

want4rain
June 10th, 2008, 12:13 PM
ive thought about light pulling with Mister. we do a great deal of yard work (atleast until we can get things the way we want) and i wouldnt mind some help with it. i think it would be good for him. :) i will be watching this thread well.

-ashley

pitgrrl
June 10th, 2008, 12:49 PM
CD pits harnesses (http://www.itsmysite.com/cdpits/) have gotten nothing but glowing reviews from people I know who pull their dogs. There are some good training tips (http://www.itsmysite.com/cgi-bin/itsmy/go.exe?page=10&domain=1&webdir=cdpits) on the site as well that you could take a look at.

ETA: shoot, I didn't see that this had already been posted, but I guess now you see how popular they are lol

OC_Spirit
June 10th, 2008, 09:19 PM
CD Pits are great! Another really good one is www.alaskandream.org

For general info and to get in contact with people who do WPing more seriously than I do go to www.iwpa.net

Make sure you don't go with a carting harness if you are wanting to get into serious weights! Carting harnesses are NOT designed to evenly distribute the weight across your dog's body and you could end up injuring your dog by using an improper harness. Carting harnesses are designed for easy pulling and being able to fully control a cart, not heavy weights.

First step is just to get the dog accustomed to the harness. Put it on and go play with your dog in the backyard or give him a favourite chew. Do whatever it takes for him to associate the harness with good things and stop minding it being on him. Next, tie a 6-8ft long piece of rope to the harness and at the end of it tie a milk jug with a bit of water at the bottom or a pillow (for a drag effect). Take him out for a very fun short walk that he enjoys so he gets used to working against the harness. Most dogs if they have been taught leash manners first will obey the resistance from the harness. You want to teach them it is ok to fight against a harness by going out in front and encouraging them to come to you. Reward big time when they stop minding the drag and come to you. AVOID LURING YOUR DOG!!!! You dont want him to pull because you're waving a treat or toy in your hand, you want him to pull because he's having fun. Its ok to reward after a succesful pull with a treat or toy or both, just dont fall into the habit of luring. If you ever decide to enter a competition, luring will actually get you and your dog DQed.

This is your foundation, from there its just a matter of keeping things fun and building up the amount of weight your dog is pulling. Fill the jug all the way with water, then move on to a small car tire, then a larger car tire, to pulling the cart with some weight in it etc.

angeldogs
June 10th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I'm going to try that with jag.even though he will only be pulling a kids wagon.thanks for posting the info.

kigndano
June 11th, 2008, 07:45 AM
CD Pits are great! Another really good one is www.alaskandream.org

For general info and to get in contact with people who do WPing more seriously than I do go to www.iwpa.net

Make sure you don't go with a carting harness if you are wanting to get into serious weights! Carting harnesses are NOT designed to evenly distribute the weight across your dog's body and you could end up injuring your dog by using an improper harness. Carting harnesses are designed for easy pulling and being able to fully control a cart, not heavy weights.

First step is just to get the dog accustomed to the harness. Put it on and go play with your dog in the backyard or give him a favourite chew. Do whatever it takes for him to associate the harness with good things and stop minding it being on him. Next, tie a 6-8ft long piece of rope to the harness and at the end of it tie a milk jug with a bit of water at the bottom or a pillow (for a drag effect). Take him out for a very fun short walk that he enjoys so he gets used to working against the harness. Most dogs if they have been taught leash manners first will obey the resistance from the harness. You want to teach them it is ok to fight against a harness by going out in front and encouraging them to come to you. Reward big time when they stop minding the drag and come to you. AVOID LURING YOUR DOG!!!! You dont want him to pull because you're waving a treat or toy in your hand, you want him to pull because he's having fun. Its ok to reward after a succesful pull with a treat or toy or both, just dont fall into the habit of luring. If you ever decide to enter a competition, luring will actually get you and your dog DQed.

This is your foundation, from there its just a matter of keeping things fun and building up the amount of weight your dog is pulling. Fill the jug all the way with water, then move on to a small car tire, then a larger car tire, to pulling the cart with some weight in it etc.

awesome post OC, truthfully i was waiting for you to answer because i know you have experience with this kind of stuff.

i am going to buy one of these ASAP and start.

kigndano
June 16th, 2008, 12:40 PM
self bump til payday