Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Introducing a third cat in a small apartment

Bluedrake
June 9th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Hello!
I have a question. I just got a third cat, and I'm wondering how to best proceed.

I live in a small apartment (1 bedroom), and I'm wondering how I should handle the introductions. My first two cats are used to sleeping with me, so I feel bad locking them out for the night to let the newcomer get used to her surroundings.

I tried letting them peek at each other through a crack in the door, but there was much hissing on all parts.

Should I put the newcomer in the living room for the night and back in the bedroom for the day? Should I allow free roaming while I am home?

Problem is, my two other cats are used to having free run of the apartment, and they don't like being confined to just one room.

The bathroom is not an option, it's way too small to accomodate even a litterbox.

So, what's my best option?

14+kitties
June 9th, 2008, 08:29 PM
IMO - bedroom for newcomer until things are settled. The others can sleep in the living room for a week or two or however long it takes. JMO

ancientgirl
June 9th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I have a similar problem. I had 4, now added one more. I live in a loft and my bedroom has no door or any way to put a door. My upstairs bathroom has room for a litter box, but too small to accomodate a cat used to the outdoors comfortably.

What I ultimately did is, I decided to block the kitchen to the others. I have a screen up in the kitchen pass through, and a bamboo screen blocking the kitchen entrance. They are apart yet my gang can still look in to become familiar. The kitty inside is safe and able to get used to her surroundings. It's not a bad set up and actually it's the first time i've been able to cook anything in my kitchen without interruption :laughing:

When I first got Vlad and introduced Oksana, I had a different apartment. I kept Oksana in my room while I was at work then when I came home, I'd bring Oksana out in a carrier for about an hour in the evening, then put her back in the bedroom. At bedtime I kept her in the room with us, but had her in a carrier. This went on for about a week and a half until I was able to let her run loose. They were both kittens so it was easier. I don't think it takes that short a time to introduce adult cats.

Good luck!

MartiniGIrl
June 10th, 2008, 11:03 AM
IMO a new cat should always have its own separate space in the beginning. let them smell each other through the door for a few days or until the hissing stops. A new cat should always have a safe place away from the other cats in the household.

duttypaws
June 10th, 2008, 11:19 AM
well i sort of cheated.... i put poppy in the bathroom (which is SMALL enough for a blanket and litter tray and bowl basically) with a mesh wall so they could see each other.... lola hissed ... poppy stared at her.... I let her out and they would hiss, box or plain ignore each other....