Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vacation over, Now we pay the price

jealma
June 9th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Hi everyone, had a great vacation and we've been back 3 days now. But my poor Abby has had the runs since we have gotten home. I"m not sure of the reason. I"ve tried giving her a little pumpkin.( I hear that helps ). But she is eatting perhaps a little less than normal. Drinking perhaps a little less than normal, but over all the only problem seems to be the runs. I feel so bad for her because she tries to go even when there is no need to go. Any suggestions?

Someone suggested pepto bismal,,is that ok?

Winston
June 9th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Pepto would be more for an upset tummy...I would still to the pumpkin....you could also try a bit of plain white rice..not alot cause it tends to bind them up if you give too much!

Cindy

bendyfoot
June 9th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Diarhea can be caused by stress (ie you guys being gone)...many pets who's owners are gone for a period of time, or who are put in kennels, get upset tummies for a few days. Keep her on a bland diet (I'm sorry, I don't know if Abby is a cat or a dog? - boiled skinless chicken breast can be good for cats, boiled lean hamburger or chicken, cottage cheese and white rice can be good for dogs) for a few days and things should resolve themselves. Watch for vomitting or blood in the stool, though, that would likely mean something else is going on.

TacoGrl
June 9th, 2008, 10:42 AM
My Jaeger used to get the runs when she got nervous (after a move, if a lot of guests came over, etc)...I used to dip my finger into Pepto and she would lick it off...not too much...just a finger tip...all would be better in maybe half an hour...having said that, perhaps someone more in the know can add something...perhaps dogs are different that cats in that way...

Ond thing you have to be careful of though...if your pet likes the Pepto, there are toilet cleaners that smell like Pepto and your pet will be attracted to it...I found that out when my Mooki was trying to ge the toilet seat up the first time I used the cleaner!

jealma
June 9th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Thank you everyone. I think today Abby and I will try a little white rice for lunch. I"m thinking about a tbls full for her she is about 7lbs and she has been having pumpkin over the last 3 days,, about a tbls of that once a day. I don't want to send her into constipation either. If the rice doesn't work,, I'll do the pepto bismal next. I never even though about the stress from separation, I was thinking she had gotten into the other dogs food and the change back to her orijen was a little much,, although I did send her own food, and was told no one had seen her eatting the other food. I hope next vacation will allow me to take her with me.

hazelrunpack
June 9th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Stress can really screw up the bacteria in a dog's intestine and result in diarrhea--the usual culprit is clostridium. As long as you've been home, jealma, you should at least probably have a fecal sample tested. If it is clostridium, metronidazole will help immensely! (And it's a relatively cheap drug.)

Any diarrhea for that long in a very small dog can lead to dangerous dehydration, so make sure she gets plenty of water.

Pumpkin will never constipate a dog--too much actually makes the stool soft, though. Like fiber in general, it acts by regulating the amount of water in the stool, so it can help to either firm up soft stools or soften firm stools. To clear up diarrhea you want smaller amounts; increase it if you are trying to fight constipation. We give our dogs a tablespoon a day to keep them regular--and they're between 35 - 60 pounds--so you might want to cut Abby down to a teaspoon or less per day.

I hope she's better soon, jealma! :fingerscr

jealma
June 12th, 2008, 11:36 AM
After 3 days of pumpkin,, two meals with a little rice "and she doesn't like pepto mismal at all". Abby is back on track. I do have a concern that because I have her on a high proteine food ( orijen) no grain that her system is having a hard time with so much protein. Her poops are pretty smelly,, like hold your arm out full length after baggin, and it's never been hard hard since I"ve put her on orijen. Is this because of the diet she is on? She pretty much just eats that with a few ( bad me) treats of what we've had for supper. very small amounts,, she's a pretty small dog.

bendyfoot
June 12th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I think my pup's poops got a little smellier since they went on orijen, but they're more well-formed than they've ever been. I think every dog will digest foods differently. :shrug: