Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New cat is here!

Bluedrake
June 8th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I just got my third cat today! Her name is Mimi, she is 7 years old.

Her previous owner came today before lunch to bring the cat and her stuff. She had her two sisters (humans, not felines) with her, one of which is a former vet. I think they were inspecting me to make sure the cat would be well taken care of. :D

I can't post pictures now. Mimi has taken refuge beneath my bed, so I can't take a good picture of her yet. I will post pictures as soon as possible. I want to immortalize her lion cut (I hate that pattern, but I want a keepsake of THAT! )

Well, she will be kept away from my two other cats at least until she comes out from under the bed, and then only for brief peeks through the door.

I let them sniff each other while Mimi was in her cage. Chinook did not bother to come over for a look, but Erin did, and got a hiss from Mimi for her friendlyness.

Poor Erin looked completely bewildered and hissed back, but hesitantly. Almost as though she were saying "what's your problem?"

chico2
June 8th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Bluedrake,we cannot wait for pics,of all of them.
Thank's for taking little Mimi whatever the reason was for the owners giving her up.
I am sure you'll have some trouble as you know from this Forum.
Introducing new grown cats to each other is not easy,but I am sure you'll have 3 happy kitties very soon:fingerscr

sugarcatmom
June 8th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Yay for Mimi! And yay for you giving Mimi a loving home. She's in great hands. Here's hoping the integration goes smoothly and your fur family is all happy and content in no time. :lovestruck:

Bluedrake
June 8th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Thank's for taking little Mimi whatever the reason was for the owners giving her up.

She actually had a good reason. The cat belonged to her nephew, who became violently allergic, so she took the cat.

She works long days and Mimi is all alone while she is gone. She felt she could not care properly for the cat, so she looked for someone to take her, and she was careful about it. How many people have their vet sisters check the food you give your cats to make sure it's healthy? :laughing:

Said vet sister also quizzed me about hepatic lipidosis, the proper way to introduce the cats to each other, how to switch foods properly, etc. :D Heck, she checked MY cats to see if they had good teeth, good fur, regular stool... :laughing:

So yeah, I feel she had a good reason for giving up the cat, and she would never have let Mimi go to just anyone.

I'm under instructions to call her without delay if there is anything wrong with Mimi.

I wonder how many people would have passed this little test I was subjected to? :thumbs up

BusterKitty
June 8th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Wow, what a thorough housecheck:DThey must REALLY love Mimi.

What foods were you feeding your other cats? Some vets don't like some healthy diets cuz they don't know about it.

Bluedrake
June 8th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Wow, what a thorough housecheck:DThey must REALLY love Mimi.

What foods were you feeding your other cats? Some vets don't like some healthy diets cuz they don't know about it.

I'm feeding Wellness and Innova Evo canned. Mimi is a kibble addict, so I'm switching her to Innova Evo kibble first, then to the canned.

She checked ALL the labels and gave me an approving nod. She said that this was a cat food she would consider eating herself! :laughing:

They also inspected the toys, the cat trees, and do I give any treats, yes what kind, what kind of brush do I use, how often do I change the litterbox, and lots of other things, but I can't remember them all. Normally she was just supposed to dump the cat here, but they stayed about 45 minutes to conduct their investigation. :D

Oh yeah, and the violently allergic nephew? He asked for visitation rights to make sure that Mimi was REALLY well treated. :laughing: Apparently when his aunt told him that she was giving Mimi away, his reaction was something like this:

"What?! How could you? Now I'll never see her again!!"

You'd think he was talking about his girlfriend and not his cat!

hazelrunpack
June 8th, 2008, 09:52 PM
What a lucky Mimi to have such caring people around her--at past and present homes! :thumbs up I can't wait to see pictures of your new addition. :cat:

14+kitties
June 8th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I guess if Mimi is still with you, albeit under the bed, you must have passed muster. :D Good luck with the introductions.

rainbow
June 9th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Glad to hear you passed inspection. :thumbs up Looking forward to pics of Mimi and also Chinook & Erin as well. :fingerscr

kimnmark
June 9th, 2008, 06:13 AM
That's a pretty thorough check. Glad you passed :) In my perfect world all animals would have people who cared that much.... Mimi is a lucky girl.

ancientgirl
June 9th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I'm glad they took the time to find someone who really loved cats and had knowledge of how to treat them. :D Some people would just dump the poor cat or take it to a shelter and never look back.

I wish you luck.

Love4himies
June 9th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Wow, I like the previous owners! If I could have, that is what I would have done to potential adoptees of my foster kittens :laughing:.

BusterKitty
June 9th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Well, I hope you have success with this kitty! I'm sure she'll give lots of love:lovestruck: