Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any fellow Bernese Mountain Dog owners out there?

skating
July 3rd, 2004, 10:22 PM
Hello!

I have two Bernese - one will be three the end of August, the other turned one in April. I would love to hear from others who own this breed. I'm sure everyone has some funny stories - I certainly do!

chico2
July 3rd, 2004, 10:57 PM
I don't know anyone with these beautiful dogs,but we always welcome pictures and funny stories :D

skating
July 4th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Okay!

I can get some pictures up later. My digital is on vacation with my sister!

The three year old can be the most stubborn dog in the world! If we bring her for "too short" a walk, she lies down in the grass (or snow) in the front yard and refuses to move! :) You can pull on her, try to pick her up, etc. She rolls over on her back and kicks her feet in the air so that you can't lift her onto her feet! What a brat! :) But we love her! She now wears a harness for her walks (as does the other one) because she learned how to take her collar off as soon as there was any pressure on it - ex. if we tightened the pull to get her to follow us, she'd duck her head, flip it somehow, and her collar would pop off. Then she could take off and do what she wanted! The other reason she doesn't wear a collar is because the puppy somehow learned how to unclasp it. Don't ask me how, but we kept finding it taken off in their run outside, undone.

Crazy dogs! ;)

skating
July 4th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Here is another one!

This one is about the year old puppy!

She's a real crazy one! She has the energy of six dogs (at least!) and is always into something. I think I should sign her up for agility but they say the jumping is too hard on their bones - you can let me know what you think!

We have a trampoline in our backyard. It is about three and a half feet off the ground. We had the puppy out in the backyard with us - she was probably 7 or 8 months old - and my sister was on the trampoline. Well, the puppy walks up beside the trampoline, looks up, and takes a flying leap up and onto the trampoline. Then she runs to the centre and starts jumping around with my sister! :rolleyes:

She now thinks this is a big game and everytime she's out with us, she jumps onto the trampoline, runs around, then jumps off.

She wants a new challenge now though. Just last week, I caught her trying to jump from the ground into our pool (above ground). I had her at a friend's and she stood at the bottom of a ladder and tried to jump five and a half feet straight up into the air into a treehouse. Luckily, I caught her on her way down!

She constantly jumps over, around, things. When she was three months old, we moved our coaches so that she was contained in two rooms, (rooms without carpets!) - so she jumped over the couches!

I know this is long, sorry

On the first, the other Bernese took off downstairs when our neighbours started putting off fireworks, the puppy came outside with me to watch. She'd look down when the noise went off, then follow the lights up and stare at the sky until it went off again. It was pretty funny watching her head bobbing up and down!

Anyway, if anyone wants more stories, I would be happy to share more!

skating
July 4th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Hello,

Okay, how do you add a photo? (Sorry, I'm computer illiterate!:) )