Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

just a thought... keeping cats cool in summer?

duttypaws
June 7th, 2008, 04:19 PM
well the heat is upon us.. and my cats are sleeping all day :|... anyway... i dont have air conditioning but a fan... which is on.... and there is extra water out.... think that is enough for the cats?

Jim Hall
June 7th, 2008, 05:18 PM
groom them as much as you can the cleaner they atr the more thr haor insulats them ice cubes in the water help to but if your feeding non kibble ehat probaly are hydrated enough
lol theres always the buzz cut but thay onlly worlks in emergencies

duttypaws
June 7th, 2008, 05:24 PM
well the dont seem bothered... they just seem more sleepy!!!! or they have just moved their sleeping spots. to the fllor which is why i see them more...

Jim Hall
June 7th, 2008, 05:26 PM
yeah well leave if to cats too find the coolest spot manda was sprwled out under the ac vent lol it turned off and she gave me such a look

jiorji
June 7th, 2008, 05:37 PM
you can put ice cubes in their water for dinking and dip their paws in the tub to cool off. Cats sweat through their paws. Try to put a fan closer to the ground so that they can feel the breeze and you can spray water into the fan once in a while

you can also freeze a water bottle and put it in the tub so that they can cool off there

Jim Hall
June 7th, 2008, 06:00 PM
its funny manda moves away from the breeze but she at about 50 resp a minute du seems to be hamdlimg it very well

duttypaws
June 7th, 2008, 06:28 PM
they move from the fan
but they arent heavy breathing (yet).... they seem ok to be honest.. im maybe panicing a bit :|

jiorji
June 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM
yeah mine move aaway from fans too, but some cats do like them:shrug:

Frenchy
June 7th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Cats usually love hot weather :shrug:

HenrysMom
June 7th, 2008, 08:44 PM
You could always take an ice pack, wrap it in a towel and put it inside their bedding. It's not that hot there though - I'm in Texas, where it's 100 degrees, so an ice pack in the bed might be a bit much for 80-85 degree weather.

Stacer
June 8th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I used to wet a facecloth with cold water and lay it on my old girl Speck, she seemed to appreciate it. Of course when the coolness was gone from the cloth I would wet it down again and again and again:D.

Also, basements are good for the kitties and concrete floors.

duttypaws
June 8th, 2008, 10:14 AM
i think i may be more bothered than them.... they are lying in front of the fan at night time... :frustrated: but seem ok....